Winter Storm Impacts REC's Entire Ser...

Winter Storm Impacts REC's Entire Service Area

There are 22 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 4, 2013, titled Winter Storm Impacts REC's Entire Service Area. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Fredericksburg, Va. Rappahannock Electric Cooperative has approximately 51,600 outages across our 22-county service territory with the most significant impact in the counties of Culpeper, Madison, Greene, Orange, Louisa, Spotsylvania and Fauquier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Farmer

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2013
These guys are tops working in these conditions. while having to deal with livestock ion the same conditions I can definitly appreciact there efforts
Mark

Sacramento, CA

#2 Mar 7, 2013
Quite possibly the worst power company on the East Coast.
Vanessa Evans

Washington, DC

#3 Mar 8, 2013
I don't understand why on Post Oak Rd we got power back on at 5pm on Wednesday to only go back out at 7:30pm that same day. We have been without power every since. Your recording does not give any estimation of when the power will be back on. Explain.
Jesse Lawson

Ruckersville, VA

#4 Mar 8, 2013
We have been without power for three days and there are only two people on the road we live on and everyone around us have power.
It would only take about 30 minutes to get us power. this is ridiculous it is a repeat from the summer when we were without power for 6 days and everyone around had power then. We lost 2 fridges of food. It only took 15 minutes to get that fixed. Why do we have to suffer. Please get our power back on.
They say power companies are working 24 hours then why were the trucks at the Best Western in Ruckersville last night? We have not seen a truck working on our road cause everyone around us have power but 2 families have to suffer.
Dave

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Mar 8, 2013
You are obviously not prepared enough.
LowPowerMan

Smithfield, VA

#6 Mar 8, 2013
1) Life ain't always Fair
2) Get a grip, purchase a generator, or a Cryin' Towel.
3) They leave you dark because you whine too much. Your neighbors don't!
4) Line crews cannot work 24hrs. around the clock without catching some sleep. It's OK for them to stop and eat, I hope.
5) Ever been late with your elec bil ??
6) Enjoy the dark. Get to bed early.
7) Take Milk & Cookies (oe Beer) to repair crews.
You are saving $$$ when your power is off.
ENJOY !!!!
Wife of a Lineman

Asheboro, NC

#7 Mar 8, 2013
My husband is one the lineman who is working hard with REC to restore your power. I understand that being without electricity is frustrating, but there are several things you should remember. While you are sitting in the comfort of your home, albeit in the dark, my husband and the other linemen are working outside in the snow and freezing conditions for you! The work they do is very dangerous, so they are risking their lives for you! And yes, you have seen power trucks at the local motels. Linemen are people, not machines, and like you they must rest!! But I can also assure you that while one group is sleeping, others are working. So instead of complaining about the work they are doing, whey don't you thank a lineman!

Another thing you should remember is a large number of the lineman working to restore your power are not from VA. In fact, my husband and the guy with him are from the bottom part of SC. So while you spend time with your families, albeit in the dark, these linemen are away from their loved ones. Often, they don't even know how long they may be gone. Possibly a few days, or a week or longer? So instead of complaining about being in the dark, why don't you focus on the sacrifice that is being made for you!

THANK A LINEMAN TODAY!
toasty

Washington, DC

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Prepared or not this power company is the worst. I'm very well prepared, to bad they weren't. I agree this is a repeat hurricane debacle.#FAIL!
Frozen

Woodbridge, VA

#9 Mar 8, 2013
I'm sure linemen are doing the best they can and we appreciate their long, and tireless hours. This problem is much larger though. Our neighborhood loses power at least once a month. I have never had such poor service. Rappahannock needs to get their stuff together, and figure out how to maintain service on a regular basis before they can claim to be doing well with major outages.
This is the third major outage we have had in 7 months. It only solidifies or choice to get solar panels and a windmill. I don't want to pay for aweful service one moment longer than I have to.
Scene enough

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 8, 2013
Wife of a Lineman wrote:
My husband is one the lineman who is working hard with REC to restore your power. I understand that being without electricity is frustrating, but there are several things you should remember. While you are sitting in the comfort of your home, albeit in the dark, my husband and the other linemen are working outside in the snow and freezing conditions for you! The work they do is very dangerous, so they are risking their lives for you! And yes, you have seen power trucks at the local motels. Linemen are people, not machines, and like you they must rest!! But I can also assure you that while one group is sleeping, others are working. So instead of complaining about the work they are doing, whey don't you thank a lineman!
Another thing you should remember is a large number of the lineman working to restore your power are not from VA. In fact, my husband and the guy with him are from the bottom part of SC. So while you spend time with your families, albeit in the dark, these linemen are away from their loved ones. Often, they don't even know how long they may be gone. Possibly a few days, or a week or longer? So instead of complaining about being in the dark, why don't you focus on the sacrifice that is being made for you!
THANK A LINEMAN TODAY!
I agree with about 90% of your post. But please remember 2 things. One, we may be in our home and in the dark, but I assure you it is not comfortable. We are just as cold as your husband. Second, some of us have small children and family members that have medical issues and being without electricity is a dangerous thing. I can imagine the frustration you have when people seem to bash lineman, which I think is wrong, but we are the ones in the cold and dark.
toasty

Silver Spring, MD

#11 Mar 8, 2013
Heartily agree with last 2 posts. I'm not blaming the linemen. I hope they are safe, and take care. However I will thank them when I see them. Ultimately in the last ten years I've seen the rapp service decline, while price goes up. Power outages are very very dangerous for all, especially for the elderly, children, and the sick.
Just saying

United States

#12 Mar 8, 2013
Well maybe to eliminate trees falling on poles and lines why doesn't the REC go back to clearing the areas around the power lines and poles like they use to do. I have not seen that done in years and what I saw last year was what looked like a contract crew that was just snipping a few branches here and there.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Mar 8, 2013
It's funny to hear people talk about what the power company ought to do. Folks think it's simple and that power should be restored within hours. These same folks will say "it's complicated" if you ask them why they can't get along with their mate. Your view of the world is backwards. TV tells you that your own affairs are complicated and that you deserve more than you have. Thousands of downed lines won't restore themselves. I would rather see the linemen take a little planning time and go home safely. That's a priority.
toasty

Washington, DC

#14 Mar 8, 2013
I think its funny they can't manage their website during an outage. I also find it hilarious the monthly co op GLOSSY 12 PAGE mag about nothing. Maybe a better way to use resources?
Mary

Orange, VA

#15 Mar 8, 2013
This is what they call prepared? Listen REC: There was ample advance notice of this storm, and magnitude wise, this is nothing. I shudder to think what I might be enduring, and for how long,if it had been a truly bad, unexpected snowstorm. As it is, I've been without power for three days and two nights now, and let me tell you:I am not impressed.
ynotcuttrees1st

Baltimore, MD

#16 Mar 8, 2013
Tonight will be the 4th night. I am not impressed.
LowPowerMan

Frederick, MD

#17 Mar 9, 2013
What is UP with the Whiners that are showing a California location. Are you visiting here and complaining about our local Elec Co-op ?? Why not head back West towards the land of the Fruits & Nuts?
I'm now 78 hrs. with no power, but DO understand that our region and service area presents certain challenges to our utility companies. I have cut aqnd cleared trees to help repair crews gain access to downed lines and suggest that the complainers do something other than complain about poor service.
Keep in mind that REC is a Co-op and is owned by the members & stakeholders. If you think you have all the answers then you need to participate in Co-op meetings and become involved. So for now, just stfu and DO remember to THANK A LINEMAN.
Sign me as Power Out In MADISON COUNTY VIRGINIA.
Beachbum1

Washington, DC

#18 Mar 9, 2013
Scene enough wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with about 90% of your post. But please remember 2 things. One, we may be in our home and in the dark, but I assure you it is not comfortable. We are just as cold as your husband. Second, some of us have small children and family members that have medical issues and being without electricity is a dangerous thing. I can imagine the frustration you have when people seem to bash lineman, which I think is wrong, but we are the ones in the cold and dark.
Stop your grumble and think about the guys out there trying to fix it! Even though they are getting paid ot for they are out in the dark. cold and away from their families. Stop and think that they are doing the best they can. There are somethinings in life we can't control like mother nature! If you think you can do better why don't you go to work for REC! I lost power for about 14 hours. It gave me the chance to spend some quality time with my kids. Stop complaing cause the complaint department has shut down!
toasty

Baltimore, MD

#19 Mar 9, 2013
I love how someone who loses power for 14 hours states to stop whining. You are a moron, and should have better things to do with your time and electricity. So your on topix instead of more quality time?
Tea Party Forever

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Mar 9, 2013
You do not need the nanny state! Buy a generator!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredericksburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: 610 Carwash (Nov '08) Jul 22 JBR 107
kneegers in Stafford (Nov '15) Jul 22 Duped 4
DEA Downtown Jul 19 2way street 3
Communication lines Jul 5 Mikeallen 1
News Ukropa s future: Open Sundays, alcohol sales af... (Dec '09) Jun '16 martin garey 13
corruption in stafford police and court room. (Sep '11) Jun '16 anonymous 8
Concerned Parent Jun '16 SCARED 1

Fredericksburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fredericksburg Mortgages