Focus on employers

Undocumented workers in the United States are a demand-side problem. Most illegal immigrants come here because there is a demand for their cheap labor. Full Story
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Oct 20, 2010
"Democrat Mark Dayton and Republican Tom Emmer obtained their parties' endorsements for governor by running..." - J. H. Fonkert, St. Paul

Wrong! Mark Dayton did not obtain his party's endorsement; Margaret Anderson-Kelliher did. The DFL avoided Mark Dayton like the plague and so should all the voters on Nov. 2.

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#2 Oct 21, 2010
J. H. Fonkert: Tom Horner was a Republican until he became a candidate for governor in 2010. In fact, one of the main reasons he is running as an Independent is so that he didn't have to go through the Republican nomination process.

http://www.minnpost.com/ericblack/2009/12/14/...
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 21, 2010
Mellers wrote:
J. H. Fonkert: Tom Horner was a Republican until he became a candidate for governor in 2010. In fact, one of the main reasons he is running as an Independent is so that he didn't have to go through the Republican nomination process.
http://www.minnpost.com/ericblack/2009/12/14/...
So, I guess what we're saying is that we have a couple of rejects in this race and the only true blue candidate is Tom Emmer. Go Emmer.

(I didn't say 'blue' did I?)
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

#4 Oct 21, 2010
Totally agree with Fred Grimm. However, I think we need to take it a step further. We have to go after the landlords that rent to the illegals. They are just as responsible as the employers for this influx of illegal aliens, in fact I don't know why the employers as well as the landlords couldn't be charged with treason.
"treason n. Violation by a subject of his allegiance to his sovereign or or to the state."

Fine employers $10,000 per illegal plus restitution for all other costs including deportation. The same penalties should also apply to landlords. Also we have to hold the federal govt. accountable for not enforcing the laws that are already on the books. Had they been doing their job for the last 20 years or so this would be a non-issue. For too long too many people at all levels of government and enforcement have been the pawns of business. This is a problem that's not going away and is only going to get worse.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#5 Oct 21, 2010
". They should also be arrested and have their pictures posted on the police department's web page, just as "johns"
Well, that might be taking it a little too far but I do think business should be fined for employing undocumented people. But it's not just businesses fault, government is also to blame, even more so. It's government who will not fine the businesses, it's government who will not secure the borders. When Arizona attempt to secure it's own border, it's government who steps in and sues the state saying they are in violation because border enforcement is a federal issue. On the other hand, government does nothing to stop sanctuary cities from harboring illegals. If Arizona has over stepped it's bounds, certainly sancturary cities also should be sued for over stepping themselves.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#6 Oct 21, 2010
"In my newspaper, I would expect news on the closing of churches and opinions about its significance, but surely not a comforting homily for somebody's flock. "
Fortunately there is no separation of Media and Church. At least the left hasn't been able to pass that yet.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Oct 21, 2010
Fred Grimm, you are in favor of removing jobs from our foreign invaders as a disincentive to come here. Are you in favor of removing eduction, health care, and new-baby citizenship from them as well?

As I see it, low-paying jobs is only a single piece of the carrot. It doesn't do the plumber any good to mop up the floor until the leak is stopped. Re-taking and securing the border is the first item on the agenda.
gzaiger

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Oct 21, 2010
Mellers wrote:
J. H. Fonkert: Tom Horner was a Republican until he became a candidate for governor in 2010. In fact, one of the main reasons he is running as an Independent is so that he didn't have to go through the Republican nomination process.
http://www.minnpost.com/ericblack/2009/12/14/...
So what if he used to be a Republican? Here's a quote from the link you posted:

"Horner told me he is reluctant to break with the party to which he has belonged all his life but is also concerned about the ideological and partisan polarization of recent years.

"I donít think we can stay on this trajectory and continue to be the kind of state that people like me have benefited from," said Horner, a Minneapolis native. The declared candidates are "too far to the left and right and too far out of mainstream," he said.

Sounds like a true moderate to me. Norm Coleman used to be a Democrat, but certainly no one thinks of him as one now. Whatever Horner used to be, he's running as an environmentalist, for marriage equality and other issues that separate him from the Republicans. He's also advocating for cuts that separate him from the Democrats. Sounds like a true moderate to me.
gzaiger

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 21, 2010
thissucks - I agree. I think just arresting the workers and not the people that hire them is like arresting the people that take drugs but letting the dealers go free. There will always be illegals as long as there are no repercussions to those that hire them. I think the stiffer the sentances, the more rapidly you'll see the whole illegal issue fade. No expensive boarder security needed - we'll save money and solve the issue.
Common Cents

Orlando, FL

#10 Oct 21, 2010
gzaiger wrote:
thissucks - I agree. I think just arresting the workers and not the people that hire them is like arresting the people that take drugs but letting the dealers go free. There will always be illegals as long as there are no repercussions to those that hire them. I think the stiffer the sentances, the more rapidly you'll see the whole illegal issue fade. No expensive boarder security needed - we'll save money and solve the issue.
The Deapartment of "Homeland Security" under the direction of Secretary Janet Napolitano has stoped conducting the "workplace raids" where the Illegals were put on buses and deported, the only sure way that they are removed from our country.
Instead they compare the employers Human Resources records with the Social Security database in Washington. If the employees records don't match because of identity theft the employers have to fire them, but they are not arrested and are free to find another job.
The "Immigrant Rights" groups complained about the "workplace raids," and the government listens to them rather than it's citizens complaining about the problems the Illegals cause and their tax dollars being spent on them. Now the Immigrant Rights groups are trying to change the image of the Illegals in front of the Television News cameras at the demonstrations against the U.S. Immigration Laws they are staging in another attempt to fool the American people:
http://www.tcunation.com/profiles/blogs/chang...
Dee Dee Dee

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Oct 21, 2010
gzaiger wrote:
thissucks - I agree. I think just arresting the workers and not the people that hire them is like arresting the people that take drugs but letting the dealers go free. There will always be illegals as long as there are no repercussions to those that hire them. I think the stiffer the sentances, the more rapidly you'll see the whole illegal issue fade. No expensive boarder security needed - we'll save money and solve the issue.
Sadly since Obama stopped work place raids in favor of audits which are announced to the employer long before they are conducted it is harder than ever to go after the employers. That and the fact that pro-illegal groups with the help of business lobbies have blocked e-verify from becoming mandatory it is almost impossible to prove that employers knowingly hire illegal aliens. If our government were truly serious about going after employers they would stake out day labor sites and go after those who hire illegals. They could also work with the IRS to go after those that hire illegals from day labor pick up spots.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Oct 21, 2010
gzaiger wrote:
thissucks - I agree. I think just arresting the workers and not the people that hire them is like arresting the people that take drugs but letting the dealers go free. There will always be illegals as long as there are no repercussions to those that hire them. I think the stiffer the sentances, the more rapidly you'll see the whole illegal issue fade. No expensive boarder security needed - we'll save money and solve the issue.
I agree that employers' cutting corners needs to be dealt with and to some extent I can see how that will have a positive effect at the borders. However, that will not solve the whole issue nor does it make border guards unnecessasry. You mentioned letting the drug dealers go free and that's another whole border issue unrelated to employers. It's still going to cost us a lot of money fighting off the bad guys.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Oct 21, 2010
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly since Obama stopped work place raids in favor of audits which are announced to the employer long before they are conducted it is harder than ever to go after the employers. That and the fact that pro-illegal groups with the help of business lobbies have blocked e-verify from becoming mandatory it is almost impossible to prove that employers knowingly hire illegal aliens. If our government were truly serious about going after employers they would stake out day labor sites and go after those who hire illegals. They could also work with the IRS to go after those that hire illegals from day labor pick up spots.
I wonder how many illegals are actually working for the government. Do agencies such as DNR or public works use day-laborers?

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#14 Oct 21, 2010
gzaiger wrote:
<quoted text>
So what if he used to be a Republican? Here's a quote from the link you posted:
"Horner told me he is reluctant to break with the party to which he has belonged all his life but is also concerned about the ideological and partisan polarization of recent years.
"I donít think we can stay on this trajectory and continue to be the kind of state that people like me have benefited from," said Horner, a Minneapolis native. The declared candidates are "too far to the left and right and too far out of mainstream," he said.
Sounds like a true moderate to me. Norm Coleman used to be a Democrat, but certainly no one thinks of him as one now. Whatever Horner used to be, he's running as an environmentalist, for marriage equality and other issues that separate him from the Republicans. He's also advocating for cuts that separate him from the Democrats. Sounds like a true moderate to me.
I don't disagree with the moderate examples of Horner but that's only part of the picture. He's been a Republican, not an Independent, for over 30 years, since he was the press secretary to then US Senator Dave Durenburger. Here's a quote about him in 2010:

"I think my philosophy, my beliefs, my issues, have stayed very consistent since I started in politics in 1978 with [Republican] Dave Durenberger."

He's made political contributions to Tim Pawlenty. And he supports taxing the Middle Class. He was quoted saying in the Star Tribune:

"... business taxes should be reduced or even eliminated. But doing that leaves a revenue hole. The solution is to increase consumption taxes."

http://www.tomhorner.org/

On the surface Tom Horner doesn't seem so bad, but I honestly don't think he stands enough of a chance to win, and the last thing I want is Tom Emmer to be governor. I'd rather campaign for Tim Pawlenty than have Tom Emmer as our next Governor.
djigoo

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Oct 21, 2010
Emmer should stock up on marmalade.

He's toast.

Thanks be to God!
wjh

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 22, 2010
Paul Heffron, the Pioneer Press is a privately held company and can print anything it wants on it's opinion pages even if you disagree with it.

Your narrow minded view fits the NPR model of silencing speech you disagree with.
Jabber

Saint Joseph, MN

#17 Oct 27, 2010
To rid the country of illegal workers is easy. Fine the employer $100,000 per illegal worker. $90,000 would go to retire the national debt and 410,000 to the person or dept that finds the illegal workers.(TAX FREE). Simple but the gutless politicians from each party wouldn't pass this.
Jabber

Saint Joseph, MN

#18 Oct 27, 2010
Lousy typist should read $10,000 not 410,000. Sorry. Maybe i should hire an illegal to type for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frederic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 18 hr fetch almighty 7,058
Review: Olsen & Son Drug Store Aug 21 bambi 1
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Pro People 2,234
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul '14 BOBBY 452
Haunted Hunting Lodge in Wascott, WI (May '06) Jul '14 bodopoppa 36
OReilly's Jun '14 Steven Ortiz 1
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
•••
•••
•••

Frederic Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Frederic People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Frederic News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Frederic
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••