DNR says killing bear was last resort

DNR says killing bear was last resort

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 30, 2008, titled DNR says killing bear was last resort. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Could Minnesota's "Jar Head Bear" have been saved with a tranquilizer dart? Perhaps, but the bear with a 2 1/2-gallon plastic jar wedged on its head never gave Department of Natural Resources biologists the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JTY

Olathe, KS

#43 Aug 1, 2008
DNR wrote:
Threatening the police is almost as stupid as shooting a bear for the 'crime' of having a jar stuck on his head. Almost.
The bear was shot because it posed a danger to human life. If it was in the wild they could have let it die a more natural, horrible, and painful death due to starvation and dehydration.
Romper Room

United States

#44 Aug 1, 2008
Nelson wrote:
Starved, dehydrated, damn near dead. Boy, he sounds real dangerous to me!
I belive somebody could have walked up and pulled that jar from his head if they had wanted to.
They just wanted to shoot something!
Too bad you weren't there to volunteer.
Romper Room

United States

#45 Aug 1, 2008
astudl wrote:
The Frazee Police Department are obviously inept when it comes to a really logical solution to a fairly simple problem.....i guess they just take aim and fire at anything they don't know what to do about......they ****.....if they are not equipped with tranquilizer guns for animals, they need not be a "police department"...they are obviously just "take out" mentality....keep an eye out for your kids!!!
You are a complete and total idiot. What police department has tranquilizer guns on hand? Before you stop to think and hurt yourself, I have the answer for you......NONE DO!

It's a bear that wandered into town. Shoot it. A simple plan that worked to perfection.

If you want to cast blame, blame the DNR. They are the ones that should have tranquilized it. Or maybe you would have been happier with the other two alternatives:

1) Bear mauls kid in town with claws.

2) Bear dies slow painful death from dehydration and starvation.
manbearpig

Saint Paul, MN

#46 Aug 1, 2008
Hundreds of bears are hunted and killed every year without people having such mental breakdowns about it. If you are upset about the life of this bear then you should probably be bitching about the hunting season for them too.
Common Sense

Sleepy Eye, MN

#47 Aug 1, 2008
Although this bears bite was obviously harmless with a jar on it's head, having not eaten for a while and assuming it hadn't been declawed, I would guess there was probably more danger than you animal rights zealots might think. The DNR is not a radical, animal killing agency, in fact, it is the opposite. If they gave the O.K. for police to shoot this animal, they had a good reason. Had this bear mauled a few people at the street dance, it's you same bleeding heart liberals that would be chastising the police department for NOT shooting the bear when they had a chance. It's a good thing there are two sides to every story, that way you'l second guessers will always have something to bitch about!
psliim

Sebeka, MN

#48 Aug 1, 2008
I would guess that all you bear lovers have no problem whatsoever with abortion...ending the life of an unborn child.. GROW UP ALREADY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frazee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Full Throttle Cycle (Jul '15) Jul '15 Frustrated 1
Please Help (May '15) May '15 nombre 1
Review: Curt's Lawn Service (Jan '15) May '15 The Ace of Spades 2
What to do in DL-Ogema area? (Nov '14) Nov '14 CBR 1
Review: Lakeland Veterinary Clinic - William M ... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Doug H 2
News John Heinecke letter: DL should say - bye-bye' ... (Sep '06) Jul '14 SUPERintendent 19
News Twin Cities men have style, and he has proof (Nov '12) Nov '12 CRASSUS 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frazee Mortgages