DNR says killing bear was last resort

DNR says killing bear was last resort

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 30, 2008, titled DNR says killing bear was last resort. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Could Minnesota's "Jar Head Bear" have been saved with a tranquilizer dart? Perhaps, but the bear with a 2 1/2-gallon plastic jar wedged on its head never gave Department of Natural Resources biologists the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wckedd

Bonham, TX

#2 Jul 31, 2008
BS! Hogwash! It always boils down to it's just easier to pull out a gun and kill something that is deemed a nuisance. Given the jar on this bear's head, I'm sure it was a tremendous threat to maul one of the fine citizens of Frazee.

Absolutely disgusting!
Romper Room

United States

#3 Jul 31, 2008
wckedd wrote:
BS! Hogwash! It always boils down to it's just easier to pull out a gun and kill something that is deemed a nuisance. Given the jar on this bear's head, I'm sure it was a tremendous threat to maul one of the fine citizens of Frazee.
Absolutely disgusting!
Yeah, bears don't have sharp claws do they?

Did you actually read the article, or did you stop at the headline and form your moronic hypothesis based only on that. The DNR promotes wildlife preservation, not destruction.

I figured an uninformed boob that has "been there and done that" would chime in with a stupid armchair-quarterback post, but I didn't figure it would be the first one.

Congratulations Tex, you have posted the dumbest comment of the day so far.
Oldtimer

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 31, 2008
Romper Room wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, bears don't have sharp claws do they?
Did you actually read the article, or did you stop at the headline and form your moronic hypothesis based only on that. The DNR promotes wildlife preservation, not destruction.
I figured an uninformed boob that has "been there and done that" would chime in with a stupid armchair-quarterback post, but I didn't figure it would be the first one.
Congratulations Tex, you have posted the dumbest comment of the day so far.
These fools at the DNR never miss a chance to look like gun happy killers of wildlife. I agree with their explaination of events, but don't they ever think of what this will look like on the ten o'clock news. At least get more people trained to shoot darts so it's possible to try them before they blow the animals away. This incident alone probably got the DNR more bad press than a whole year of of their press releases.
ely

Onamia, MN

#5 Jul 31, 2008
I work in Ely MN

Here is what I believe happened.

Report of bear with jar on head.

Bear runs off.

DNR person goes back to doing what they were doing.

Call comes in bear in town with jar on head

DNR person goes and shoots bear

DNR person checks that task off list

DNR person goes back to doing what they were doing
Romper Room

United States

#6 Jul 31, 2008
Oldtimer wrote:
<quoted text> These fools at the DNR never miss a chance to look like gun happy killers of wildlife. I agree with their explaination of events, but don't they ever think of what this will look like on the ten o'clock news. At least get more people trained to shoot darts so it's possible to try them before they blow the animals away. This incident alone probably got the DNR more bad press than a whole year of of their press releases.
From the article:

Conservation officer Chris Vinton said Frazee officers shot the bear just half a block from the town's main street, in an alley behind a cafe. A street dance was under way nearby.

"I'm guessing there were 1,500 people in town,'' Vinton said. "It couldn't have been any more closer to the heart of town."

I don't see how shooting the bear was a bad thing. They don't shoot it and it claws somebody to death, then the DNR and cops will look like a bunch of Barney Fife hicks. They can't win.

The DNR said that there isn't a lot of situations that call for tranquilizer guns. I would also imagine that the guns are expensive.

My thought is those that are being hyper-critical are the same people that ask questions like "why didn't they shoot him in the leg"?, when the cops shoot a guy coming at them with a knife.
Scott

Turner Valley, Canada

#7 Jul 31, 2008
Romper Room wrote:
<quoted text>

My thought is those that are being hyper-critical are the same people that ask questions like "why didn't they shoot him in the leg"?, when the cops shoot a guy coming at them with a knife.
Naw. Those being hyper critical would rather see a 1000 dead people than one dead bear.

Don't blame the DNR. Blame the dirty disgusting slobs that left their litter out for the bear to get into. They killed it.
ely

Onamia, MN

#8 Jul 31, 2008
I think that those that think people are too critical are those that live in SAINT PAUL.
Ely

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jul 31, 2008
I would guess you were one of the same people that thought it was a good idea to feed the wild bear, solo. By the way the cops shot the bear no the DNR. I'm sure though that an agency that is supposed to protect and conserve wildlife is full of people looking to just sit around and wait for the opportunity to kill it. People like you never cease to amaze me with new levels of ignorance and moronic assumptions.
ely wrote:
I work in Ely MN
Here is what I believe happened.
Report of bear with jar on head.
Bear runs off.
DNR person goes back to doing what they were doing.
Call comes in bear in town with jar on head
DNR person goes and shoots bear
DNR person checks that task off list
DNR person goes back to doing what they were doing

“whatalongstrange tripitsbeen ”

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#10 Jul 31, 2008
sounds like a bunch of lazy government employees to me.
Huh

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jul 31, 2008
More of the same dumb comments...
ely wrote:
I think that those that think people are too critical are those that live in SAINT PAUL.
Andy

Cupertino, CA

#12 Jul 31, 2008
It's done now. Anyone on here stupid enough to run up to the bear and to try and pull the jar off...be my guest.

Would be a great way to weed out the morons on here.
Romper Room

United States

#13 Jul 31, 2008
ely wrote:
If you are truly from Ely, you should know that it is not easy to walk up on a bear. You should also realize that some animals are better of being taken out of their misery.

I've never shot a tranquilizer gun, but I would imagine it to be slightly accurate at close-quarters only.

I'd like to see you track a bear (that is pissed, confused and scared) through the woods and get close enough to make an accurate shot that will put the bear down.

You must watch too much TV if you think this to be an easy task.
Romper Room

United States

#14 Jul 31, 2008
77deadhead wrote:
sounds like a bunch of lazy government employees to me.
Spoken from an expert in the field.

That says a lot coming from a guy that likes to drop acid, sit in a beanbag and "watch the music' while he eats grilled cheese sandwiches with the crusts cut off.
Zbierski

Dallas, TX

#15 Jul 31, 2008
I wish the bear would have been standing on the side of the road, then I could have swerved my front end protected SUV and run the thing over, just like I do with all animals I see on the side of the road, like kittens, puppies, bunny rabbits, dogs, cats, turtles, sometimes deer, and the occasional turkey. I love the rush of small wildlife bouncing off the front end of my truck.
ely

Onamia, MN

#16 Jul 31, 2008
1000 people from a black bear. Really? Also I don't know of any job done corectly that is easy. No one ever said it would be easy.

Have a nice day.
Romper Room

United States

#17 Jul 31, 2008
ely wrote:
1000 people from a black bear. Really? Also I don't know of any job done corectly that is easy. No one ever said it would be easy.
Have a nice day.
Who said all 1000 people? Just saving one person from being hurt is worth killing the bear.
Scott

Turner Valley, Canada

#18 Jul 31, 2008
ely wrote:
Have a nice day.
I meant that guys like you would rather see a person shot than a bear. Had you basic reading comprehension skills you would have picked that out.

Have a good one yourself.
tanevaho

Carson, WA

#19 Jul 31, 2008
The DNR's policy of have so few people trained to administer the drug makes them look pretty darned unprofessional. They have to send a guy from the Twin Cities to fire the dart? Overregulated and undertrained perhaps? They didn't want a bear with a plastic jar on its head "knocking down a kid" or "getting hit by a car"? How about the possibility of the bear being struck by lightning and starting a forest fire because it could not see approaching storm clouds? Only you can prevent forest fires, DNR. Great work!

“whatalongstrange tripitsbeen ”

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#20 Jul 31, 2008
Romper Room wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken from an expert in the field.
That says a lot coming from a guy that likes to drop acid, sit in a beanbag and "watch the music' while he eats grilled cheese sandwiches with the crusts cut off.
you know me so well!:-)
sue

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Jul 31, 2008
If they could shoot the bear, why couldn't they tranquilize the bear and remove the jar?????? Last resort.....whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frazee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Full Throttle Cycle (Jul '15) Jul '15 Frustrated 1
Please Help (May '15) May '15 nombre 1
Review: Curt's Lawn Service (Jan '15) May '15 The Ace of Spades 2
What to do in DL-Ogema area? (Nov '14) Nov '14 CBR 1
Review: Lakeland Veterinary Clinic - William M ... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Doug H 2
News John Heinecke letter: DL should say - bye-bye' ... (Sep '06) Jul '14 SUPERintendent 19
News Twin Cities men have style, and he has proof (Nov '12) Nov '12 CRASSUS 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frazee Mortgages