DNR defends killing bear with jar stu...

DNR defends killing bear with jar stuck on its head

There are 117 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 30, 2008, titled DNR defends killing bear with jar stuck on its head. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A wild black bear showed up at Itasca State Park July 21, 2008 with a clear plastic jar stuck on its head.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Livin Woodbury

Saint Paul, MN

#103 Aug 1, 2008
da bears!!!

burn the plastic pinheads
MBA-USC

Yuma, AZ

#104 Aug 1, 2008
some one who knows wrote:
No one automatically gets respect. I guarantee that no one is even interested in getting a medal. Get a clue. All of you who keep posting here and bashing the officers - don't even have the complete story but you are sure are interested in complaining about the actions of the officers. Maybe if you knew the whole story before your incite others - it would save lives. Since you are so smart, I am sure that you are aware that there have been death threats to the officers involved and even officers that were not. It makes me ill.
<quoted text>
oooh, it makes you ill, huh :) You seem to have an answer for everyone, especially if they don't agree with your way of thinking. You seem to forget that some people are educated enough to realize there are solutions beyond your frame of reference... How about considering this, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL, OPEN IT AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT!!! You have removed any doubt!
DitKa

Cottage Grove, MN

#105 Aug 1, 2008
From the Northern League :

Minnesota DNR - 1

Da Bears - 0
some one who knows

Frazee, MN

#106 Aug 4, 2008
You know you are correct. I voiced my opinion and did exactly what I hate. That is when someone does not respect the opinions of others. I am sorry. Every one has the right to their opinion. What my biggest issue with the whole situation is the people who have made death threats to the officers. No one has the right to threaten another. That is why I hoped upon my soap box and dismissed opinions that did not jive with mine. There are a lot of facts surrounding the bear issue that are not in the paper and not gossip. I sincerely wish that the outcome would have been better but the ultimate blame lies with the person who did not dispose of their waste appropriately. If we all did our part to protect our environment - it would go a long way in the conservation of every organism of the world.
Again, I do apologize for offending.
MBA-USC wrote:
<quoted text>
oooh, it makes you ill, huh :) You seem to have an answer for everyone, especially if they don't agree with your way of thinking. You seem to forget that some people are educated enough to realize there are solutions beyond your frame of reference... How about considering this, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL, OPEN IT AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT!!! You have removed any doubt!
MBA-USC

Yuma, AZ

#107 Aug 4, 2008
you sound like you are a very stand up guy/gal? I too, open my mouth probably way to much and especially if I am dealing with the voiceless, in this case.(the bear)
I never practice what I preach...many times I have removed all doubt. lol
andy g

United States

#108 Aug 4, 2008
Clint wrote:
Seems to me the only issue here is the DNR shoots bears like this and if you the homeowner shoots a bear breaking up your house you will get charged!
Either a bear is a protected animal and everything is done to save them or allow everyone including non-DNR people to shoot one if it's on your property doing damage or a threat.
The DNR could have used a helicopter to fly over the bear to get close enough to tranquilize it. Spending money to fly over to save it might be justified if they are protected. being they didn't do that I guess bears arn't that important and nothing but a big stinky pig like animal of which there are to many of.
How much money do you want to spend to save old yogi, when we can't get children in our society protected??? It costs about $3000 to get the chopper airborne, and now you want to do a tactical air assault over a community in mid turkey-day celebration, probably bring a crapload of kids over to see what is happening, and say old hawkeye's aim in mid flight isn't quite stable and he misses the bear? Now with all that ruckus and a panicked bear you have a kid or two endangered..but what the hell..it is only a kid and we got to move heaven and earth to save old yogi...get real for a minute before posting that blather...it was a crap situation for all involved, mostly the bear in the end, but it is only a bear..we got plenty in Minny...save your passion for kids in trouble who can't get out of bad situations or something worthwile. It was a bear.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Aug 4, 2008
You know you are correct. I voiced my opinion and did exactly what I hate. That is when someone does not respect the opinions of others. I am sorry. Every one has the right to their opinion. What my biggest issue with the whole situation is the people who have made death threats to the officers...
<quoted text>
Mighty big of you...thanks.

There are no easy solutions. The problem bears we save today might even contribute to the overall population, prompting an increase in bear hunting permits allowed.

Hopefully more people will gain an appreciation and value for life as we struggle to preserve our natural resources.
andy g

United States

#110 Aug 4, 2008
Donna Ross wrote:
<quoted text>
The idiots who tossed the container are responsible for the bear being killed, however;
the proper officials should have had the tranquilizer gun with the proper amount of sedative inside. They didn't , so what is that called, if not INCOMPETENCE..
It's their ---- job!!!! They got close enough to take photos, right??????????
that was a news photog and he was behind a cop with a gun...pretty good vantage point I'd say. They dealt with a potential public safety issue the best they could with what they had on hand. 20-20 hindsight wrapped with a touchy-feely attitude aboout wild life we enjoy watching on all those sanitized animal planet shows..it ain't how it is in real life with a potentially very unpredictable animal (despite his emanciated condition)who is not your labrador retriever BTW...sad outcome to a bad situation..appropriate I think.
MBA-USC

Yuma, AZ

#111 Aug 4, 2008
Andy, you fail to acknowledge that we humans created this mess,not the bear. You say you have plenty of bears in minny, so it's your brilliant solution to get a gun and kill them. That's sick,sick,sick! Yet, you have compassion for children..that doesn't add up..somethings wrong with you! Get some help!
some one who knows

Frazee, MN

#112 Aug 5, 2008
The only bears that are usually taken out of season are the ones who are endangering livestock. Many bears are trapped and moved. What many don't realize is that when they are feeding birds of other critters - the bear is hungry also and may enjoy your feeders or garbage as a quick snack.
The comment about a helicopter - this area that the bear was in is densely wooded. If you google earth for that area - maybe you can see for yourself that darting from a helicopter would not be an option. Also, it takes time to get the proper people in place to help the bear. After the call comes in from a citizen it is routed to law enforcement - who then in turn try to locate the animal. Problem is: maybe the citizen didn't call in right away, maybe they made noise to shoo the animal, aren't quite sure the direction the animal went, ect. Can you see how it took so long to find the bear. If you read on the Frazee Forum, the woman who reported it in Frazee did not call in ASAP after she saw the bear because she thought people would think that she was crazy or had too much to drink.
Like I said before, it is easy to judge and criticize without all of the info, if more people looked at their own behaviors in regards to the environment, situations such as these may be avoided.
andy g

United States

#113 Aug 5, 2008
MBA-USC wrote:
Andy, you fail to acknowledge that we humans created this mess,not the bear. You say you have plenty of bears in minny, so it's your brilliant solution to get a gun and kill them. That's sick,sick,sick! Yet, you have compassion for children..that doesn't add up..somethings wrong with you! Get some help!
No MBA, just this one unfortunate who ran into a human problem that became his. Stuff happens. Stick to bean counting in a windowless room sport. This is real life. This one bear was in a bad situation for him. Of course, someone in SoCal chirping about northwoods devorum with wildlife makes as much sense as a Minnesotan shooting his mouth off about surf at Pismo. Are you one of the supporters of the mountain lions who have occasionally snarked a hiker/jogger out there?
Big difference between kids and bears, I know this may come as a shock to you and your SoCal sensibilities...surfs up!.....dude.
Kacy

Minneapolis, MN

#114 Aug 5, 2008
I'm not claiming to be a wildlife expert here, but I do think they probably COULD have saved the bear if they had wanted to. Just sayin....
some one who knows

Frazee, MN

#115 Aug 5, 2008
Do you not think that they did not try? Why don't you pull up all of the reports in all of the local papers and read about the conservation officers spending two weeks trying to track, dart, and trap this poor creature. No one wanted the last resort but in the interest of the safety of the hundreds of people who were on the other side of a small street - the bear was shot. No one took pleasure in the shooting or disposal of this animal.
Kacy wrote:
I'm not claiming to be a wildlife expert here, but I do think they probably COULD have saved the bear if they had wanted to. Just sayin....
RTG

Whittier, CA

#116 Aug 5, 2008
Look folks, it's like I said before...I work for a resources agency. Most of you have no idea how wildlife jobs work and what we do. I work in bear country and deal with this all the time.
Just listen one more time...leave the work to those who are trained to do it! Sometimes the proper decision isn't popular, but it is the right one. And please my California neighbors, stop embarrassing me with your clueless posts. You really have no idea about the issues of real animals. This ain't Disneyland!!!
Clint

Saint Paul, MN

#117 Aug 5, 2008
We have a hunting cabin 100 miles north of the cities. We don't hunt bear, mainly because the DNRs way of hunting them is with bait, not real challenging and very expensive to drive up there with bait.

Back in the day you could shoot a bear during the deer season.

We use a wildlife camera and the number of bear is suprising.

And now the bear population is so high the DNR would like to reduce the numbers, maybe they will allow hunting during the deer season, would be too smart of an idea for the DNR to allow.

The jar bear was suffering and best to shoot it.

Kacy

Minneapolis, MN

#118 Aug 6, 2008
Do you not think that they did not try? Why don't you pull up all of the reports in all of the local papers and read about the conservation officers spending two weeks trying to track, dart, and trap this poor creature. No one wanted the last resort but in the interest of the safety of the hundreds of people who were on the other side of a small street - the bear was shot. No one took pleasure in the shooting or disposal of this animal.
<quoted text>
Alrighty then... like I said, I'm not an expert so I will just trust you on this one and leave it at that.
EugeneWright

Grand Prairie, TX

#119 Aug 12, 2008
There is absolutely no explanation given that justifies killing this animal. All parties involved should be FIRED, including the DNR officer from Grand Rapids who didn't get off his lazy you-know-what and drive to Frazee to help hunt down and TRAQUILIZE the young bear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frazee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sheriff: Man Shot Dead In Trailer Park, Juvenil... Aug 7 Parden Pard 6
What to do in DL-Ogema area? (Nov '14) Jul '17 James Lynn Diatelevi 2
News Callaway Liquor Store takes advantage of tribal... (Feb '09) Apr '17 Wilbur 5
News Callaway teen accused of rape (May '09) Apr '17 Wilbur 17
News One dead, several hospitalized in carbon monoxi... (Dec '16) Dec '16 bonnie 1
Please Help (May '15) May '15 nombre 1
News Twin Cities men have style, and he has proof (Nov '12) Nov '12 CRASSUS 1

Frazee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frazee Mortgages