A sad fate for a hungry bear

A sad fate for a hungry bear

There are 47 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2008, titled A sad fate for a hungry bear. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Here is a story of a bear literally caught in the candy jar, but with a tragic ending.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NORTH

Gatzke, MN

#1 Jul 29, 2008
THERE IS NO REASON OF HAVING TO KILL THE BEAR YOU COULD OF HAVE DARTED HIM . AND HALLED HIM AWAY THATS ALL DNR WANTS TO DO IS KILL THEM. DARTING HIM TAKING THE JAR OFF AND HALLING HIM FURTHER NORTH AND LET HIM GO.
Jim E

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jul 29, 2008
A very weak effort to relocate the innocent bear.
They have a gun to kill it, but not a gun with a tranquilizer dart? Conservation? I don't think so.
Mom of three

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jul 29, 2008
If sis "officers" were following it around trying to find it over a 50-mile plus chase, then why didn't they have a tranquilizer gun WITH THEM? Answer: they are not "conservation" officers, they are wildlife officers in charge of killing any inconvenient wildlife they see, so they do not have more than one tranquilizer gun among them over two counties?

Since: May 08

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 30, 2008
I couldn't bear to read the ending of this story. The poor baby got itself in a bad situation through no fault of it's own. I don't feel it should have been killed.
Pathetic

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 30, 2008
This is pathetic. Check this out: "Bear attacks tent; kills 2 of 4 family members. Now it's somewhere north of Lake Wasapamanni." That bear is a threat. A BEAR WITH A PLASTIC CONTAINER STUCK ON ITS HEAD IS SHOT DEAD ??!! PATHETIC.

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

#6 Jul 30, 2008
That plastic container should have been recycled, not put in the trash. The careless person who thoughtlessly tossed it in the trash killed that bear.(Oh boy, the "rightie tighties" on this board are gonna cream me on this post!)

Since: Aug 07

Fairfax, VA

#7 Jul 30, 2008
the mantra of the DNR is kill, kill and kill some more.

Since: Aug 07

Fairfax, VA

#8 Jul 30, 2008
"When it got into town, our main concern was public safety,'' said Rob Naplin, DNR area wildlife supervisor in Park Rapids.

Hey, Rob, did you see the bear had a 2 1/2-gallon plastic jar stuck over its head? admit it, it was simply easier to kill it than to try and help the bear.
Consistent

Zimmerman, MN

#9 Jul 30, 2008
Jim E wrote:
A very weak effort to relocate the innocent bear.
They have a gun to kill it, but not a gun with a tranquilizer dart? Conservation? I don't think so.
They killed an "Innocent Bear"!

What do "Guilty bears" look like?

Since: May 08

Sterling, Alaska

#10 Jul 30, 2008
It is too bad that the story had to end the way it did but keep in mind the bear is not on top of the food chain like humans are!

But you sure would think that they would of had plenty of tranquilizer guns around. Maybe they need to have their whole budget reviewed line by line and all expensive conferences canceled!

I ask you how would of you felt if this story would of said, "Bear has jar removed and claws 6 innocent bystanders to death when the drugs wear off!"
Ranger47

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jul 30, 2008
My goodness, what's all the excitement about, it's a f**king bear!....not some poor down and out human.
Working Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jul 30, 2008
How many people would the bear bit with that jar over its head? Who was chasing the bear so it went INTO the town instead of away from it? Why not just get a sharp shooter to shoot the jar off? I heard of that before. Run into traffic? I think not unless they were chasing the bear INTO traffic. The DNR seems to stand for Do Not Rescue. Too much testosterone.
Tired

United States

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Working Mom wrote:
How many people would the bear bit with that jar over its head? Who was chasing the bear so it went INTO the town instead of away from it? Why not just get a sharp shooter to shoot the jar off? I heard of that before. Run into traffic? I think not unless they were chasing the bear INTO traffic. The DNR seems to stand for Do Not Rescue. Too much testosterone.
I thought it was Do Not Resuscitate!
Franklin Adams

Fargo, ND

#14 Jul 30, 2008
Get over it. I am glad they shot the bear. MN has way too many of them anyway. He will make a nice rug for someone.
kim

Mankato, MN

#15 Jul 30, 2008
it was a plastic jar a sharpshooters bullet would just go in one side and out the other. Not totally the right thing to kill it but what do ya do, you can only try for so long. And bears don't just bite, they still have claws which work no matter if it has a jar on its head or not
Koivu

United States

#17 Jul 30, 2008
Steve Hettinger wrote:
I wont feel so bad the next time I hear that a bear attacked a person.
You sir are a complete tool!(I would have added moron...but that is an insult to all morons...)
Boston

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jul 30, 2008
There is no excuse for not having a tranquilizer gun with them. While we are not running out of bears, to have killed the bear was inexcusable.
Tim - St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 30, 2008
Ohh my I have to thank Working Mom, you are by far 1 of the dumbest people I have seen on these forums. I can tell you have never held a gun, fired a gun, realize the realities of physics when dealing with a jar which was STUCK on the bears head, or even the slightest bit of understanding of balistics.

1) NO sharpshooter will be able to shoot the plastic jar off. Did you not even look at the picture of the bear? The jar wasnt sitting on top of its head silly :P

I will have to thank you though, I really havent laughed that hard in ages :P
Look in the Mirror

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 30, 2008
Hey animal lovers, why didnt one of you go take the jar off of the bears head? Oh, that's right, then you wouldnt have anything to complain about.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jul 30, 2008
Labratt wrote:
That plastic container should have been recycled, not put in the trash. The careless person who thoughtlessly tossed it in the trash killed that bear.(Oh boy, the "rightie tighties" on this board are gonna cream me on this post!)

No, you're right. Someone who threw out their garbage has bear blood on their hands. This is what happens when you have capitalism and republicans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frazee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Please Help May 23 nombre 1
Review: Curt's Lawn Service May 15 The Ace of Spades 2
What to do in DL-Ogema area? (Nov '14) Nov '14 CBR 1
Review: Lakeland Veterinary Clinic - William M ... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Doug H 3
News John Heinecke letter: DL should say - bye-bye' ... (Sep '06) Jul '14 SUPERintendent 19
News Minnesota veteran treats service dog incident a... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Navy Guy 1
News Twin Cities men have style, and he has proof (Nov '12) Nov '12 CRASSUS 1
More from around the web

Frazee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]