Bear killed after getting jar stuck o...

Bear killed after getting jar stuck on head

There are 109 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2008, titled Bear killed after getting jar stuck on head. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A wild black bear showed up at Itasca State Park July 21, 2008 with a clear plastic jar stuck on its head.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
huntergrl

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 29, 2008
The bear obviously wasnt a threat. Why didnt they just shoot it with a tranquilizer gun, remove the jar and let him go back in the woods?
JBN

United States

#3 Jul 29, 2008
"We attempted to locate a dart gun to tranquilize it, but it left the park,''

What, we only have a few Dart guns in this state? This is sad that they couldn't tranquilize it. Seems like a waste
Andy

Cupertino, CA

#4 Jul 29, 2008
I am a hunter, though I agree with the above poster. The article said their "tranquilizer gun left the park" or something similar...what the hell does that mean? The DNR has only one of those?
AMM

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jul 29, 2008
Yes, I agree about the tranquilzer gun. They seriously couldn't FIND one??? Who is running the show there?
sandra

Decatur, AL

#6 Jul 29, 2008
Seems like there could have been something else they could have done to save him.
Get_Real

Tempe, AZ

#7 Jul 29, 2008
If this animal had gone berserk (which wild animals do, especially when tired, hungry, confused, and feeling threatened) and injured one of your family members, you'd be the first one calling an attorney and screaming bloody murder. This was not a pet, it was a wild animal. Sheesh!
MN MOM

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Jul 29, 2008
Get_Real wrote:
If this animal had gone berserk (which wild animals do, especially when tired, hungry, confused, and feeling threatened) and injured one of your family members, you'd be the first one calling an attorney and screaming bloody murder. This was not a pet, it was a wild animal. Sheesh!
There are no "if's" they coulda tranquilized the poor thing-- & I'm not PETA or anything, but how about we get a jar stuck on your head & then shoot you?! sheesh! yourself
Andy

Cupertino, CA

#9 Jul 29, 2008
Get_Real wrote:
Quick, someone throw me my tranquilizer gun.
Bad Humor Guy

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 29, 2008
Or maybe it was a super-intelligent life form from another planet trying to make contact with the people of Frazee. His space helmet just happened to resemble a plastic jug. Now, we'll never know. I want to believe!
JJohn

United States

#11 Jul 29, 2008
Euthanizing is sooooo much easier than tranquilizing!
BillyBob

Green Bay, WI

#12 Jul 29, 2008
that's one more godless killing machine off the streets.
Mrs R

United States

#13 Jul 29, 2008
If the Republicans hadn't cut funding to the DNR, there would have been more dart guns available.

Instead, they drive around town in their huge SUV's, destroying the environment and buying caviar dinners for their friends on their state funded expense accounts.

95% of ALL PROBLEMS are caused by idiot Republicans! Including this one! I'm so mad I could scream!
Max

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 29, 2008
I await the inevitable questions to whether this animal was on welfare.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jul 29, 2008
With all the bear sightings each year, and some do come in close contact with human beings, you would think that the DNR would make sure they have tranquilizer guns on hand.

What a waste, it seems like the only answer there is, is kill it. They were obviously able to track it, why not "locate" a tranquilizer gun, and bring it with?
Jerami

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 29, 2008
It was poorly written by the writer here...they meant the Bear left the park so they couldn't tranquilize it...but then the question I would ask is why can't the tranquilizer gun go beyond the Park's border?

Why was a gun used instead of a tranquilizer...it says they were looking for this bear for 4 days? Ok in 4 days you couldn't find a tranquilizer gun? Really?
Andy

Cupertino, CA

#17 Jul 29, 2008
Mrs R wrote:
If the Republicans hadn't cut funding to the DNR, there would have been more dart guns available.
Instead, they drive around town in their huge SUV's, destroying the environment and buying caviar dinners for their friends on their state funded expense accounts.
95% of ALL PROBLEMS are caused by idiot Republicans! Including this one! I'm so mad I could scream!
Crazy B.
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jul 29, 2008
I would think anyone attracted a DNR type occupation appreciated wildlife. Must have been a solution born out of frustration. Bad call.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 29, 2008
huntergrl wrote:
The bear obviously wasnt a threat. Why didnt they just shoot it with a tranquilizer gun, remove the jar and let him go back in the woods?

I was wondering the same thing. OTOH, not sure garbage bears are welcome up there in the first place.
Mrs R

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jul 29, 2008
Max wrote:
I await the inevitable questions to whether this animal was on welfare.

The bear was here without a green card, so it should have been shot.
JJohn

United States

#21 Jul 29, 2008
JJohn wrote:
Euthanizing is sooooo much easier than tranquilizing!
I was speaking facetiously not literally, I was on the bears side even if bear jerkey is pretty good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frazee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Al Franken the groper Dec 1 Leon Whittingston 1
News Sheriff: Man Shot Dead In Trailer Park, Juvenil... Sep '17 Aprillee1982 10
What to do in DL-Ogema area? (Nov '14) Jul '17 James Lynn Diatelevi 2
News Callaway Liquor Store takes advantage of tribal... (Feb '09) Apr '17 Wilbur 5
News Callaway teen accused of rape (May '09) Apr '17 Wilbur 17
News One dead, several hospitalized in carbon monoxi... (Dec '16) Dec '16 bonnie 1
Please Help (May '15) May '15 nombre 1

Frazee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frazee Mortgages