School bus crashes in icy conditions

School bus crashes in icy conditions

There are 21 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Dec 17, 2008, titled School bus crashes in icy conditions. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

A Frankton school bus collided head-on with a car at the intersection of Madison County roads 500-North and 500-West at 9 a.m. Wednesday, according to a student who was on the bus.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New Pal Girl

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Dec 17, 2008
New Palestine schools were closed today. Looks like this school system should have cancelled, as well. I'm glad the kids weren't seriously hurt, and I hope the driver of the car is okay.
Amazed

Kentland, IN

#2 Dec 17, 2008
Accidents happen and its sad that they do. The only think I dont understand is why they have seat belts on the busses for the driver, but not the students?? That makes no sense to me.
Alice Riley

Mokena, IL

#3 Dec 17, 2008
School should have been closed all day, not just 2 hour delay.....Weather did not improve, only thing that changed was daylight. Road conditions were still very icy on All County Roads. Was it worth putting our childrens lives in danger.....
Alice Riley

Mokena, IL

#4 Dec 17, 2008
Bad decision on not canceling school all day, Weather did not change, road conditions did not change. Two hour delay only gave us daylight. What a pity to put our childrens lives in danger.
concerned father

United States

#5 Dec 17, 2008
I have 3 step children that go to that school and I have 3 children that go to Pendleton, My step children ride that particular bus, but today they rode with a friend to school. I know that the other area schools such as Pendleton were closed, but my step children told us yesterday that since it was Finals week, they were going no matter what the weather. I personally feel that the school corporation should have figure out another way for Finals week and closed the school. We all know what condition that the county roads were in this morning and how ridiculous it was for the school corporation to put children's lives at stake. I always want to know that the schools are a safe place for all children as well as knowing that they are going to get to school safely.

Concerned Father....
John Pendleton IN

Bringhurst, IN

#6 Dec 17, 2008
School Corps. that have a large percentage of students that live in rual areas should give extra consideration to road conditions,they appear to have failed to do this at Frankton/Lapel. South Madison cancelled school altogether today. Some of these kids were hurt, Thank God nothing worse happened!
safty

Logansport, IN

#7 Dec 17, 2008
Who ever made a bad choice on dont having school should be the blame. What happend about thinking about the childerns safty. i give South Madison credit and the other schools who decided not to have school. Thats why the have snow make up days who cares if they have to make them up. Safty of our students and their lives are more important then making up snow days.
Worker Bee

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Dec 17, 2008
Living in Putnam County, our schools were closed by 6:15 this morning. I thought, "wow, someone wanted to sleep in." Once I started into the office on sheets of ice, I thought "wow, he/she was on it!" I don't have children of school age any longer, but if I did, I would have been applauding them this morning. GOOD CALL!!!!
concerned parent

United States

#10 Dec 17, 2008
I am so thankful there weren't any more seriously hurt people. I wish there hadn't of been any! Schools should be closed when the county roads are so icy!! We live in Danville and we were open today and our roads still aren't any better than they were this morning. Too bad this happened! I am very glad everyone came out of this with mainly minor injuries and nothing worse! Praise God
UNBELIEVABLE

Covington, IN

#11 Dec 17, 2008
This is why SCHOOL BUSES NEED SEAT BELTS. Why doesn't anyone see this? It just goues to show how the minds of our government thinks. I MUST wear one in my car but 60 kids riding a schoOl bus don't need them? WAKE UP SCHOOL BOARDS ACROSS THE STATE AND BE AS RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING OUR CHILDREN AS SAFE AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!
Frederick

Saint Joseph, MI

#12 Dec 17, 2008
If the school knew that the conditions of the roads were unsafe, a two hour delay is not going to fix the roads; as like Pendelton Schools closed because of the unsafe transporting conditions, our school should have done the same.
Lori Clements

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Dec 17, 2008
Thank God that none of the children were hurt very badly. I think that the School authorties made a bad choice, Simply said, the State Police in Indiana had stated that if you didn't need to be on the roads there was no need to be out. Schools need to RETHINK there safety...I do realize that the principle went out and drove this road but did he really expect students to be able to drive it safely??? Not a wise decision on his part.
Frederick

Saint Joseph, MI

#14 Dec 17, 2008
If the school knew that the conditions of the roads were unsafe, a two hour delay is not going to fix the roads. In alike manner of Pendelton Schools closed because of the unsafe transporting conditions, our schools should haved followed suite and done the same.
Frederick

Saint Joseph, MI

#15 Dec 17, 2008
I do truly believe it is the school's fault for this tragedy.
We need to look at who makes and monitors these descisions.
Are they not truly concerned with the safety of our children?
Richard

United States

#16 Dec 17, 2008
That would be so scary and i hope they were all ok,
Student

Niles, MI

#17 Dec 17, 2008
Nobody could have known this was going to happen.. Yea its unfortunate. Have any of you considered that maybe it was the 17 year old driver that maybe didnt even try to stop. Its not the corporations fault either Frederick.

Since: Jan 07

Deerfield, IL

#18 Dec 17, 2008
UNBELIEVABLE wrote:
This is why SCHOOL BUSES NEED SEAT BELTS. Why doesn't anyone see this? It just goues to show how the minds of our government thinks. I MUST wear one in my car but 60 kids riding a schoOl bus don't need them? WAKE UP SCHOOL BOARDS ACROSS THE STATE AND BE AS RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING OUR CHILDREN AS SAFE AS YOU THINK YOU ARE!
When you figure out how to effectively and consistantly get 60 kids on a bus to wear seat belts, you let us know OK?
Jacquelyn

New Lenox, IL

#19 Dec 17, 2008
I was one of the students in the crash. I honestly don't believe it's the school's fault. Our bus route is really rural so we have to go on a lot of roads that haven't been cleared well. My sister and I were only in the hospital because my neck hurt a little and she hit her head. The bus wouldn't have landed in the cornfield if the student driver had been able to stop, on top of that, she didn't have her license. So personally, I can't blame the school for the mistakes of that girl for driving without a license.
Frankton Mom

Bringhurst, IN

#20 Dec 17, 2008
FLCS has always exercised caution regarding the safety of their students. The roads in this area of the county were very misleading this morning. I worry less about our students riding the buses and more about inexperienced drivers behind the wheel in these conditions. Thank god this was not more serious. We have lost to many of our local children to car accidents. Parents exercise extreme caution when winter weather conditions occur.
glena murray

United States

#21 Dec 17, 2008
i go to frankton and most of my friens were on that damn bus...but it isnt the skl systems fault or our superintendent...its the driver of that stupid car..she doesnt have a damn license and she shouldnt have been on that road...in a that car...dnt blame our skl...we have finals this week and we dont want to make them up...the bus driver has a seat belt just because...and students dont because if we did then we did we'd b even more injured then wat they r now!!!!! so let off...the kidz rnt mad y should u guys b....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tabitha Shuck-Raines Murder Update 2012 (Oct '12) 15 hr ForTabi1002 5
What Do You Think About Public School Dress Code? (Mar '07) Jul 22 knowitall 119
Carrie Tomey has roast beef curtains Jun 28 Sam 1
Good jobs in Elwood? Jun '16 PajamaMamma 1
Kenny Gumble Jun '16 Anonymous 1
rental (Oct '14) Oct '14 Anonymous 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Hoosier Hillbilly 92

Frankton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankton Mortgages