Three Die In Fatal Police Chase

Full story: NBC 17

A police chase ended fatally when the vehicle that was being chased crossed the center line of U.S. 15, taking the lives of three individuals Saturday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Apr 30, 2010
doris

Pleasant Valley, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2007

That's why police need to back off when an idiot flees. If it is not someone wanted for a violent offense then get their tag number and arrest them later. This is becoming all to common. I think cops like the "hot pursuit" too much.

“Gun toting liberal”

Since: Nov 07

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2007

We knew the girls, sisters of my daughter's best friend. High speed chases seem to end this way too often. Police training and chase policies need to be strengthened. Please pray for the families.
doris

Pleasant Valley, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2007

Judged:

I had a friend injured that way years ago. police need to realize if someone is hopped up on something or drunk they might try to take off. I think it's so senseless when the criminal is not violent. When they run they are not caring what they do. The police know what can happen. They can fall back and radio more cars & like I said take down the tag number. How many innocent lives are going to be lost. It just makes me so mad.
mlc9852

Maiden, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

Judged:

My husband was very seriously injured due to a high speed chase almost a year ago in Asheville. He was simply driving home from work late at night and 3 agencies were chasing a guy for a fictitious tag. My husband is still in a wheelchair and unable to work but at least he is alive.

My prayers are with the family of these young, innocent girls.

Cops, ask yourself, is it really worth it?
david biddle

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

DADE CITY - The theft of a case of beer Monday evening triggered a chase through rural eastern Pasco that ended with two teen-agers dead and a 21-year-old man critically injured.
Bonnie Jean Biddle and Robert Wayne McCullough, both 19, were killed after the vehicle they were riding in slammed into the rear of a front-end loader at Pasco Products on Burn Bridge Road.
The driver, Christopher Bryant, 21, remained in the intensive care unit in extremely critical condition Tuesday at Tampa General Hospital, a spokesman said.
Dade City Police Chief Phil Thompson said Bryant's Blazer crashed after being chased by officers in two cars who were called to the Presto Food Store on U.S. 98 Bypass at 7:07 p.m. Monday to investigate a theft.
Thompson declined to say what had been reported stolen, but a fourth person who said he jumped from Bryant's truck because of 'an arrest warrent' said Bryant had taken a case of beer.
David Biddle, 24, husband of Bonnie Biddle, said he kept telling Bryant to stop racing away, but his friend continued to travel 60 to 70 mph.
``I was telling him to stop. Stop, hell, we'll just spend the night in jail - just stop,`` said David Biddle.``(Bryant) kept saying:`Just shut up, Dave. Just shut up.``'
to let him and his wife out, but he refused. As Bryant turned a corner onto a dirt road, Biddle said he ``dove out.``
Not long afterward, he saw emergency vehicles going by.
``I knew something had happened. When we got there, they were taking Chris in the ambulance and they was pumping him. An ambulance driver said he took two white males out of the truck and they're both alive but they're in bad shape. But there is someone else in the truck that didn't make it.
``I said,`Is that someone a girl with blond hair?' He said yes,`` Biddle said,'Its
my wife'.
TThe department's policy spells out the danger of such action, drawing on a national survey by the Physicians for Automobile Safety for emphasis. That survey in 1986 said:
One of five pursuits ends in death.
Five of 10 pursuits end in serious injury.
Seven of 10 pursuits end in accidents.
One of 25 killed is a police officer.
Four of five pursuits are for minor offenses.
More than 500 Americans die each year as a result of rapid pursuit by the police.
The department's policy states that ``the successful apprehension of the violator must not be given priority over the possible harm which may result if the pursuit is continued. Officers must remember that a police vehicle operated by an irresponsible officer is no less dangerous than a firearm in the same hands.``
And finally,``It is far better to either delay the arrest or to lose the pursuit entirely than to needlessly injure or kill an innocent person, including our own officers.``
The Dade City department in 1986 obviously gave the dangers of high-speed pursuit considerable thought. The question now is whether that well-written policy is getting the emphasis it deserves today. Certainly the theft of a case of beer should not warrant such risk.
Sarah Walther

Elkin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

Judged:

"Cops, ask yourselves, is it worht it?"

Lets think about this for a minute.
Lets say, the cops decied not to chase down a criminal. What do you think this criminal will do as a result?
Cops not taking action in these cases only results in reaffirming the subconscious belief that you can do what you want when you want and you won't get hurt. Honestly, why do think criminals commit the actions that label them as criminals?
This reaffirmination will then result in the criminal returning to his/her actions that got them in trouble in the first place, continually, until they are made to stop.

Don't you think this could and will result in more then one or two accidents(or, in some cases, death)?

It isn't your fault, and it isn't the cops fault, that someone else decide to make a stupid decision and put others in danger.

Now, granted, there are plently of cases in which, yes, cops need to let things go and come back to it later. Sadly, sometimes its hard to tell the difference.
Christy Bryant

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Hi Guys,

Im the 21 year old daughter of Chris Bryant (driver) of this accident. My father made bad decisions that ruined not only his life but many others as well. I wish I could of grew up really knowing who my father was... Not who he ended up being. I do think that the dade city police department was wrong... but they dont stop for anything... including the innocent people inside of a vehical

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Franklinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 3 min Franklin 58,277
Debate: Gay Marriage - Youngsville, NC (Jan '12) Aug 10 Amberhawk 9
job corp (Apr '08) Aug 7 Isis 122
Ex-Wakefield High School coach indicted on 11 c... (Sep '13) Aug 6 Why 10
Baby Found Buried In Yard Might Of Died From Bo... Jul '14 Roget 1
What is best lake in nc to duck hunt Jun '14 Duck hunters wife 0
Comfort, trust, instilled in town May '14 ApePeeD 1

Search the Franklinton Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Franklinton Jobs

•••