Williamsburg and Franklin among top alcohol consumers in Virginia

Full story: WTKR

The city of Franklin is home to only about 8,000 people, but it still ranks among the top consumers of alcohol in the state.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Kyle

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

The Burg is a small town with college kids surrounded by military instillations. By hook or crook, these kids are going to find some booze.
ex-franklinite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Ah, well I guess Franklin needs to be known for something... its a shame it had to be known for this.. now it looks like a city full of unemployed drunks
amazed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

It amazes me that WTKR can publish such a narrow minded story. I think if one were to look at the broader picture Franklin would not rank so high on thi slist. Franklin in a small city stuck in a a very rural area. People from Isle of Wight, Southampton and even parts of North carolina shop here on a daily basis so going to the ABC store is very convenient for all these shoppers. The daily population of franklin goes from about 8000 residents to more that 15000 on any given day... So dont worry statistics never lie.. YEAH RIGHT.!
RUBY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

THIS IS TRUELY CLASSIC...LOL!! GOTTA LOVE OUR SMALL TOWN HUH!! GO FRANKLIN, WHATS ON THE MENU FOR COCKTAIL HOUR TONIGHT?:)
HardTarget

Franklin, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

Teen pregnancy, drug abuse, alcoholism, high unemployment, low education, above average population with mental health issues, and high crime rate per capita, this is Franklin, Va.
Joey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

I've got a statistic for you, Did you know that over 42% of the customers who walk into a ABC store are already legally intoxicated.
GuyfromFranklin

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

Why is it your news group, and all the other's for that matter, come sailing in here any time there is bad news in Franklin? Are you jealous of our lack of traffic congestion, our ability to bounce back from adversity, or our friendly nature? Every time there is something bad, here you come. I wish you and all your cameras, lights, ridiculously ignorant reporters and whatever else you think makes you feel important, would simply stay away......forever. Personally, I think the City of Franklin should file suit against your irresponsible reporting. Hampton Roads wishes it had what we have here.
Franklin Girl

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Way to go Channel 3! Did you even ask those you interviewed if they live in the City limits? Mr. Branche doesn't. If you combine Southampton County & the City of Franklin, you've got more than 25,000 people. Makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

Franklin & Southampton County have 2 ABC stores. Why don't we put the combined receipts up against the combined receipts of all the stores in Hampton Roads, Richmond, or Northern Virginia & do a per capita comparison?

Oh yeah...that wouldn't make good news, would it?
Franklin Person

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

What this news story should say is that the "ABC Store in Franklin is one of the Top Sellers of Alcohol in the State", NOT “Franklin among top alcohol consumers in Virginia”. How misleading is that? That is irresponsible journalism at its worst. The population of Franklin today is approximately 8,400 and the land area is 8.75 square miles. Franklin is located at the center of Southampton County, Isle of Wight County and the southern and western part of Suffolk, not to mention it is near the border on North Carolina. There is only one other ABC Store near Franklin and that is kind of hidden in a very small shopping center in Courtland. The Franklin ABC Store is the main supplier for the whole western part of Hampton Roads. If the Credit/Debit Cards could show where these customers live, I think you would see MOST of them DO NOT live in Franklin. The same goes for most to the paper mill workers did not lived in Franklin either as was stated in the article. It is always easy to kick someone when they are down, to help them get back on their feet would be the Christian thing to do. I really am ashamed of WTKR-TV.
Franklin Person

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

None of those 4 people intertviewed live in the City Limits.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Franklin Discussions

Search the Franklin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 3 hr Ludwig 2,543
Zuni Music Thread Jun 20 Musikologist 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr '14 Jim 1,433
browneyesgirl85 on farmers only.com (Jan '14) Jan '14 Dave 1
Police identify man buried under pile of peanuts (Nov '07) Nov '13 Erin Schlosser 13
Franklin senior dies of unknown causes (Apr '08) Oct '13 rebekah skowronski cone 32
•••
•••
•••
Franklin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Franklin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••