Ferry is lifeline to folks on both si...

Ferry is lifeline to folks on both sides of James River

There are 67 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 29, 2009, titled Ferry is lifeline to folks on both sides of James River. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Conor Pelton-Owen sat recently at the wheel of his minivan, cruising across the James River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Save our ferry

Yorktown, VA

#1 Apr 30, 2009
Need money? Cut VDOT executive pay by 50% for the stupid idea of closing the ferry. VDOT wastes more money in five minutes than it takes to run the ferry for a year. If you think not check out the new I-64 Richmond bypass interchange or the I-64 Chesterfield exits. The money that was thrown away with I-64 in Hampton would operate an entire fleet of ferries.
JohnB

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Apr 30, 2009
why not charge $1.00 a trip?
Newportnewsian

Newport News, VA

#3 Apr 30, 2009
"From Surry, the next nearest way across the river is about 30 miles and about 40 minutes"
According to Google the distance from Surry to Williamsburg is 68.6 mi – about 1 hour 36 mins via the James river bridge. Using the ferry it is 13.5 mi – about 51 mins.
Ernie B

United States

#4 Apr 30, 2009
So much for "public service". They can save money to protect their manager's salaries and fleet vehicle purchases.
Commonwealth of Virginia only goes one way.
Any time now Governor, you can step in and do something for the People.
Happy now

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Apr 30, 2009
They charge people in Gloucester to use their bridge and they use to have a fee for the ferry service. I guess it cost more to run a bridge. wait tunnels are the least expenssive of all no charge for tunnels. Their should be no charge for any of these services most of the time too much money spent on wastefull items anyway. shutting down the ferry would be a bad idea people over there need that lifeline.
Jane Wimbush

Fairport, NY

#6 Apr 30, 2009
Save our ferry wrote:
Need money? Cut VDOT executive pay by 50% for the stupid idea of closing the ferry. VDOT wastes more money in five minutes than it takes to run the ferry for a year. If you think not check out the new I-64 Richmond bypass interchange or the I-64 Chesterfield exits. The money that was thrown away with I-64 in Hampton would operate an entire fleet of ferries.
Closing Rest Area's and now reducing Ferry service are cruel, unneccessary measures when compared to the waste this writer points out. VDOT needs to stand up to Gov. Kaine and his cronies to maintain what citizens have paid taxes for using.

“Boldly going nowhere...”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News, VA

#7 Apr 30, 2009
Please don't get rid of the ferry. Ugh...
Darin - Elberon

Hopewell, VA

#8 Apr 30, 2009
Cutting Ferry Service is just a scare tatic that VDOT is unsing to get more funding. They all but admitted to such at the meeting in Surry back in March. VDOT is goiing after items that are poplar to the public, ferry service, rest stop, etc without looking at how they do business. Last sping they paved Route 10, from Burrowsville at the turn to Brandon, to the Surry County line. The road did not need paving, but they did it anyway. They just again paved Brewers Neck Blvd, from Benns Church to Reynolds Dr, and it did not need it, while Route 10 Bypass is full of pot holes and could have used a new paving. Until VDOT changes it methods, and starts to use a new line of thinking, we will continue to have them using this same scare tatic over and over.
ilovemykids

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Apr 30, 2009
Well, it is needed and people need it to get places. How about we cut some of the fancy payrolss of people and use that money towards keeping the ferry! Lest start with a Hampton City School official who makes over 180,000 a Year,take 10,000 a Year from him, oh wait,he is leaving! Next person.
Ummmm

Chesapeake, VA

#10 Apr 30, 2009
"It depends on what hours are cut for it to affect me, but it doesn't sound like a good idea," Pelton-Owen said. "It'll mean waiting, which is the most frustrating part of riding the ferry."

LEARN PATIENCE OR GET A DRIVERS LICENSE!!!
ilovemykids

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2009
JohnB wrote:
why not charge $1.00 a trip?
They should buy a pre paid card for a month,that way someone doesnt have to always worry about collecting money. Or they could sell tickets, those who are tourists/etc could pay cash for a ticket as well and they wouldnt want passes.
1.00 a trip is reasonable.
JWBPLANATV

Newport News, VA

#12 Apr 30, 2009
Common Virginia get a grip. The Ferry in Jamestown is not only for the citizens but also for the tourest. So charge a buck or so for the ride and cut some of the waste from the budget. Why make our roads which arnt the greatest carry the tax payers of this state and make them use more gas and crowd our roads even more when we can sve the cuts on the use of the ferry. I do hope our Government starts to use its collective heads and keep services that make sence----geez what stupitity!!
Cut the useless security

Williamsburg, VA

#13 Apr 30, 2009
Here is a suggestion to save money: cut the useless security on the ferry. Each time I cross I see they spend more time talking to each other then they do their job. Plus, the only stop measure they do is take a mirror and place it underneath the truck; which means any intelligent person looking to hide something insideous will do their "homework" in advance and know where not to hide. That would help. And, to be honest, how many really use the ferry at 2AM? I have no idea but limited service at night may be another way to save some funds. It may be an inconvenience to those who do you use it late night but it is better than having it cut off for 8 hours. Regardless, what difference does it make? Government is no longer for the people but the other way around. Why? Because no one cares any more. So, why bother. You want to solve the problem? Then buy your own boat. Sad, isn't it?
N Anderson

AOL

#14 Apr 30, 2009
Why doesn't everyone stop crying about cutting ferry service and start pressuring the state to put a bridge between James City and Surry. I mean it is not the 18th century anymore. Think of all the money that could be saved not having to pay ferry employees, ferry maintenance, etc. They could even put a toll on it to pay for it so it could get done faster.
solve the problem

Williamsburg, VA

#15 Apr 30, 2009
I just read "cut the useless security" post and I could not agree more! If you really want to solve the problem then build a bridge. No more break downs. No more waiting. No cuts in service. Just cross when you need to do so. Sure, it cuts the charm of the service but, as "cut" noted: no one cares anymore.
NATIVE BUCKEYE

Carrollton, VA

#16 Apr 30, 2009
Last week there was an auto accident that ended in the yard of our Surry County home. Surry law enforcement officers (kind of an oxymoron, huh? Sorry, that's for another day...)came to the scene and determined that VSP should be called as well. It was a Saturday afternoon and the only VSP on duty was in Williamsburg and needed to catch the ferry back to Surry. Took him over an hour to get to the scene, in a circumstance where time was of the essence due to possible driver intoxication. We need the ferry 24/7- get rid of useless security guards that have no authority anyway!
NATIVE BUCKEYE

Carrollton, VA

#17 Apr 30, 2009
solve the problem wrote:
I just read "cut the useless security" post and I could not agree more! If you really want to solve the problem then build a bridge. No more break downs. No more waiting. No cuts in service. Just cross when you need to do so. Sure, it cuts the charm of the service but, as "cut" noted: no one cares anymore.
NO BRIDGE! We in Surry do not want to become Williamsburg South. I like my taxes at the affordable rate they are now. And we have enough developers in Surry right now to last for the next 15 years. Besides, that part of the James is not very conducive to a bridge, it would have to be near Claremont, which is still several minutes from Surry, so might as well take the ferry, read the paper, relax and enjoy the ride.
readyforrealchan ge

United States

#18 Apr 30, 2009
Why not charge 2.00 an axle.The ferry could almost maintain itself.Throw in a little coffee and beverage stand and you're talking actual profit.
Geriatric Justice

Little Rock, AR

#19 Apr 30, 2009
The democrat government has created such an expensive social services mess that now they cannot afford to do the things we need the government to do. They need to cut back on the social services and make people get a job that are on the dole long term.

Cut the welfare programs drastically and the recepients will either get a job or move to some other state. Either way, the taxpayer wins and we will save the money for the infa-structure needs.

Sadly, there are more people on the dole that vote than ride the ferry so the politicians will side with those on the dole.
mr bojangles

Toronto, Canada

#20 Apr 30, 2009
Has much as I enjoy the ferry for its "uniqueness" (the only places I've enver been on a ferry are Jamestown, Ocracoke and Portland, ME)...it really would be a whole lot more cost effective to build a bridge from Jamestown Rd to Surry. Or keep the ferry going, charge a fee and give a local commuter discount for those that live in JCC, Surry and the surrounding areas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't you wish Jul 30 Laughing at you 1
local lesbian Jun '15 Mr Grey 2
Zuni Music Thread (Jun '14) Mar '15 Musikologist 3
Free employment history? (Nov '13) Feb '15 Mikel 3
Does anyone in Capron Know Marada Deel (Oct '14) Feb '15 black Beard 3
News Franklin paper mill closure to cost region $27 ... (Oct '09) Feb '15 Mark p 6
browneyesgirl85 on farmers only.com (Jan '14) Jan '14 Dave 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages