'Rain' of dead birds on central NJ lawns explained; Federal cul...

Full story: Newsday

The black carcasses of dead starlings still pepper the snowy roads and lawns of central New Jersey 's rural Griggstown community three days after federal officials used a pesticide to kill as many as 5,000 of ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of110
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
gng

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Now let's do something about those geese....

“Rockin' in the Free World”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

"We're very sorry that it played out the way that it did," Bannerman said. She said the USDA will try to do a better job of notifying the public in the future.

Idiots!

“Rockin' in the Free World”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

The USDA should be fined for littering
question mark

Wingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Who do these people think they are??? Taking the liberty of killing birds and not notifying the public. I wouldn't trust one word from any of these knuckleheads!
What was it they were using to kill the birds exclusively? So this birdiscide kills just starlings and nothing else right?
Yeah sure and I'll sell you the brooklyn bridge for a dime.
Aren't any of these people worried at all about other animals like squirrels or fish or rabbits or other birds too?
How about your own health, the powerful dose of poison that spread across the sky could have been inhaled by everyone there.
This is really scary stuff, imagine being able to fly a plane across the sky and spread a poison strong enough to kill people? Who could know and who would be able to prevent it?
No one in this town was aware of anything strange going on and yet the USDA was free and clear to kill starlings one fine afternoon.
You can say I sound paranoid, maybe I am but this kind of thing is an outrage!
info

Murphysboro, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 27, 2009
 
from the story...
"
The poison used is not specific to starlings, Bannerman said, but USDA workers closely monitor its application to make sure it targets only the intended bird population. Workers first lure the birds to a designated area with bait food in wooden trays. Once they are certain the bait has attracted the birds they want to cull, they mix poison with the bait pellets.
"
Slow Hand

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

info wrote:
from the story...
"
The poison used is not specific to starlings, Bannerman said, but USDA workers closely monitor its application to make sure it targets only the intended bird population. Workers first lure the birds to a designated area with bait food in wooden trays. Once they are certain the bait has attracted the birds they want to cull, they mix poison with the bait pellets.
"
so be warned if you see a USDA truck near a set of picnic tables covered with food aand lots of obese people are eating stay clear
Joe

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Hahaha. It's about time. Starlings are a non-native invasive species. They take over native bird habitat and hurt native bird populations. They blacken our skies and soil our sidewalks. I shoot these whenever I get a chance.
AUNTIE ANN

Clinton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

DISGUSTING
DietitianAndMara thoner

Schwenksville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"People around here are really worried," said Gibson. "They should have told us what they were going to do because we have pets. One guy's dog was chewing on the dead birds and we didn't know what kind of diseases they had died from."

That truly upsets and worries me. Animals are curious and do not know any better. I am actually curious to know what happens in this case. Does anyone know?
slacker mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Unbelievable that the public was not notified about this. It's disgraceful. I decided to look up the poison they used called DRC-1339 -- if one should accidentally spill any of the bait tainted with this poison, livestock can not graze on that land for at least one year.

We should all be worried that the USDA just takes it upon itself to do this in a neighborhood inhbated by people and domestic animals. Not to mention that other birds surely ate the poison. And, the worst fear should be that Federal Government Employees were responsible for the care and handling of the poison feed. We all know how well trained Federal Employees are, don't we? Ridiculous!!!!

Since: Jul 08

South Shore of LI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

question mark wrote:
Who do these people think they are??? Taking the liberty of killing birds and not notifying the public. I wouldn't trust one word from any of these knuckleheads!
What was it they were using to kill the birds exclusively? So this birdiscide kills just starlings and nothing else right?
Yeah sure and I'll sell you the brooklyn bridge for a dime.
Aren't any of these people worried at all about other animals like squirrels or fish or rabbits or other birds too?
How about your own health, the powerful dose of poison that spread across the sky could have been inhaled by everyone there.
This is really scary stuff, imagine being able to fly a plane across the sky and spread a poison strong enough to kill people? Who could know and who would be able to prevent it?
No one in this town was aware of anything strange going on and yet the USDA was free and clear to kill starlings one fine afternoon.
You can say I sound paranoid, maybe I am but this kind of thing is an outrage!
Did you even read the article. Maybe you should go back and read it again. It was clear that the poison kills nothing but birds. It was clear that the FDA notified the Somerset County Health Department and the local police department to warn them that a culling program was under way. Where did you get the idea a plane was used?

“Beyond all comprehension”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 27, 2009
 
A typical lack of communication between government agencies ..

I'll bet the humans that live there must have been pretty concerned .
UPFRONT SUFFOLK

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

This is crazy. 5,000 birds killed and maybe more.
And whatever else gets to eat this poison.-- there will be more
to come, but you will not hear about it.
The USDA was not going to notify the public,(and never will) because they would have had an outpouring of people against this. It would have held their killing spree back. SAVAGES.
This is disgusting.
There day will come, when they have to enter the gates of Heaven, and will be turned back, to the fiery gates of HELL.
Joe

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

slacker mom wrote:
Unbelievable that the public was not notified about this. It's disgraceful. I decided to look up the poison they used called DRC-1339 -- if one should accidentally spill any of the bait tainted with this poison, livestock can not graze on that land for at least one year.
We should all be worried that the USDA just takes it upon itself to do this in a neighborhood inhbated by people and domestic animals. Not to mention that other birds surely ate the poison. And, the worst fear should be that Federal Government Employees were responsible for the care and handling of the poison feed. We all know how well trained Federal Employees are, don't we? Ridiculous!!!!
They didn't "take it upon themselves". They are the United States Department of Agriculture. It is their responsibility. If there was an outbreak of disease in the area because of the high starling populations everywhere, then you'd be crying that the government should have done something about it.

I think people just love whining anymore.

Since: Jan 09

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

4

1

1

This is the same government group that said that DDT and Agent Orange was ok to use also.
Joe

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

1

UPFRONT SUFFOLK wrote:
correction:
THEIR day will come, when they have to enter the gates of Heaven, and will be turned back, to the fiery gates of HELL.
For culling birds? You are nuts.
Curious George our Pres

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

UPFRONT SUFFOLK wrote:
This is crazy. 5,000 birds killed and maybe more.
And whatever else gets to eat this poison.-- there will be more
to come, but you will not hear about it.
The USDA was not going to notify the public,(and never will) because they would have had an outpouring of people against this. It would have held their killing spree back. SAVAGES.
This is disgusting.
There day will come, when they have to enter the gates of Heaven, and will be turned back, to the fiery gates of HELL.
\
Waiting at the pearly gates "birds from hell",wait a minute did't they make a horror movie like that.
When were you let out of the hospital,next time warn people.
researcher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Molly is my name wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read the article. Maybe you should go back and read it again. It was clear that the poison kills nothing but birds. It was clear that the FDA notified the Somerset County Health Department and the local police department to warn them that a culling program was under way. Where did you get the idea a plane was used?
I suggest you look up the poison used -- can't believe you believe the USDA when they claim it won't harm other species.

Also, if the community was outraged and surprised, then obviously they were not informed appropriately and adequately about the event.
Bonacker

Port Washington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe wrote:
Hahaha. It's about time. Starlings are a non-native invasive species. They take over native bird habitat and hurt native bird populations. They blacken our skies and soil our sidewalks. I shoot these whenever I get a chance.
So do I. Most people are ignorant and I have heard so many clueless people remark on how "beautiful" a massive cloud of starlings are. Little do they know they are a grotesquely invasive species introduced from Europe that have taken over. They are aggressive and deplete food sources from native songbirds. Some idiot released these birds into Central Park because he thought America should have every bird named in Shakespeare's writings, and now they have spread across all of North America. Educate yourselves, these birds are destructive.
researcher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't "take it upon themselves". They are the United States Department of Agriculture. It is their responsibility. If there was an outbreak of disease in the area because of the high starling populations everywhere, then you'd be crying that the government should have done something about it.
I think people just love whining anymore.
Without a public hearing -- that is 'taking it upon themselves.' According to the article, there was no outbreak of disease. This was a measure taken to reduce the polulation to reduce the possibility of illness. My argument is that the public was not well informed before the event. The article states, "We've very sorry that it played out the way that it did," Bannerman said. She said the USDA will try to do a better job of notifying the public in the future." That is what I am WHINING about.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of110
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Franklin Discussions

Search the Franklin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CVS overcharges Tue Jane 1
Glimpse of History: Fresh milk delivered to you... Apr 15 Jim 1
Legends Resort (Jan '06) Apr 10 Ladeeda 2,800
Plainfield riots - 1967 (Sep '07) Mar 31 Jim T 71
Lake Rights Still no agreement in lengthy dispu... (Jun '08) Mar 31 Ursula Fauver 13
Anthony Francos creepy manager Mar 24 john 1
Plainfield, need a little history around 1960 (Feb '08) Mar '14 Will 107
•••

Fire Warning for Sussex County was issued at April 23 at 7:27PM EDT

•••
•••

Franklin News Video

•••
•••

Franklin Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Franklin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••