Legal rights murky when a parent take...

Legal rights murky when a parent takes child and vanishes

There are 57 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 1, 2007, titled Legal rights murky when a parent takes child and vanishes. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Timothy and Sadie Shirley have only a few photos and wrenching memories left of little Adrianna, a child they have not seen for going on two years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Fletcher, NC

#1 Dec 1, 2007
I have not an ounce of sympathy for the first one.

Why was that included in the article? The guy doesn't pay child support and we are expected to be sympathetic because the mother takes the child away to raise on her own?

THAT makes NO sense.
Jo Proksch

Chaseburg, WI

#2 Dec 1, 2007
Have you thought of contacting Dr. Phil with your problem. He is free and he will put a detective on the case and find your daughter. He would more than likely help you with expenses to get a child custody order.

Go on line and type in DrPhil.com .
NCgal

Auburn, AL

#3 Dec 2, 2007
I have a nephew who lost touch with his dad for over 20 yrs. When my nephew was 27 he saw a pretty girl at a gas station who needed help with her tire, he was single & went over to help.
While helping her he thought about asking her out but, in the course of the conversation they discovered they had the same father & they both learned they had siblings neither knew of. Needless to say he didn't ask her out after that.
Tom

Orange Park, FL

#4 Dec 2, 2007
By the looks of the daddy (Timothy) with his purple sunglasses, I thinks the girl is better off with the mother!
David C

Great Falls, MT

#5 Dec 2, 2007
CITIZEN-TIMES HEADLINE:
"Legal rights murky when a parent takes child and vanishes"

NOT MURKY AT ALL

1). IF the MOTHER takes a child and runs; Social Services offers all kinds of protection

2). BUT, if a FATHER takes a child and runs; an amber alert is issued, the child's picture
is put on a milk carton, and the father becomes a wanted criminal.

Equal rights & equal treatment definitely does not apply between motherhood and fatherhood.
Men definitely need to have equal rights in custody cases.

ron in waynesville

Asheville, NC

#6 Dec 2, 2007
Sad situation for all concerned.
Sympathizer

Maxton, NC

#7 Dec 2, 2007
At least in this case, if the father has o contact with the child but has no accusation of abuse of either child or child's mother, then at the very least the father should NOT HAVE TO PAY ANY CHILD SUPPORT. I would need to know more about the case in order to form an opinion on visitation rights.

Asheville

#8 Dec 2, 2007
Skidoo wrote:
I have not an ounce of sympathy for the first one.
Why was that included in the article? The guy doesn't pay child support and we are expected to be sympathetic because the mother takes the child away to raise on her own?
THAT makes NO sense.
He's been in jail 3x for it? Do you know how long a parent can go without paying the support before they will actually arrest them? They don't pick you up for missing a month or two. It also said that and other issues...what other issues?

This sounds like yet another half azzed one sided article meant to tug at the heartstrings.
local and fed up

Sherrills Ford, NC

#9 Dec 2, 2007
How can we get our children to realize that every intimate encounter could result in a baby?

Because the solution to this awful problem is to be VERY PICKY about who you date, and be sure you date long enough to really KNOW who you are dating and be sure you have a good consensus on child-rearing before you commit to a marriage.

And save the sex for after the wedding.

These problems are all too often the result of sex without forethought. AND THE PRECIOUS BABIES ALWAYS PAY THE PRICE.

There really ought to be a law against sleeping with losers.
Out of NC Now

Albany, NY

#10 Dec 2, 2007
The part about Adrianna is NOT kidnapping. They may feel like it is a kidnapping, but in fact the mother just moved. If the child lived with him for 2 1/2 years, he should have gottan a custody agreement THEN. That's when he had the ball in his court. Just seems he dropped it and now wants sympathy. It's just not there.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#11 Dec 2, 2007
There is one thing about this article concerning this guy that really bothers me. He can help support 4 children that aren't his, but he lags behind in his own child's support.

Another thing, it is sheer ignorance to believe in the "good will" of a former "partner" when it comes to legal custody of a child. Lots of children have become pawns in the war between "ex-lovers".

To me, he sounds like the typical dead beat dad trying to hide behind "poverty".
John

Maxton, NC

#12 Dec 2, 2007
David C wrote:
CITIZEN-TIMES HEADLINE:
"Legal rights murky when a parent takes child and vanishes"
NOT MURKY AT ALL
1). IF the MOTHER takes a child and runs; Social Services offers all kinds of protection
2). BUT, if a FATHER takes a child and runs; an amber alert is issued, the child's picture
is put on a milk carton, and the father becomes a wanted criminal.
Equal rights & equal treatment definitely does not apply between motherhood and fatherhood.
Men definitely need to have equal rights in custody cases.
Amen......He kept is daughter most of the time prior to the kidnapping yet he was still required to pay support. The system is f**ked up. I 'll bet the only reason she took her daughter in the first place was to keep that check rolling in. If NC
Child Support Enforcement is still collecting money from him where are they sending it. Do they have an address?
NCgal

Auburn, AL

#13 Dec 2, 2007
Free wrote:
<quoted text>
He's been in jail 3x for it? Do you know how long a parent can go without paying the support before they will actually arrest them? They don't pick you up for missing a month or two. It also said that and other issues...what other issues?
This sounds like yet another half azzed one sided article meant to tug at the heartstrings.
I agree. It's a feel sorry for the person who made bad decisions in their life so govt needs to step in and pay for them article.

Remember the lady who left her son locked in her car while she went to work & he died? The article was about how that poor mother couldn't afford daycare & had no other alternative but, to lock her son in a hot car all day because America doesn't help the poor.

“Live, Love, Laugh”

Since: Sep 07

Balsam, NC

#14 Dec 2, 2007
WOW Susan! You really did your homework!

Crying poverty doesn't get you anywhere with me.

As a single parent mom (at one time), working two jobs (also in my younger years) with no child support, this poverty mess is falling upon deaf ears.

I think he does not have the right to see his child.

Why is he supporting his wife's 4 children, they have a dead beat dad too?

Dead beat dads should be castorated... IMHO

This issue riles me as I worked my @ss off to care for our child, who is now an AB honor roll student who has many friends, and is very stable in life.

Sorry for the RANT!
MAdison Girl

Great Falls, MT

#15 Dec 2, 2007
Not Concerned wrote:
Dead beat dads should be castrated... IMHO
WOW, does this mean you also believe welfare mothers should be sterilized ???

Sieg Heil, Not Concerned

xoxoxo
TENNESSEE

Savannah, TN

#16 Dec 2, 2007
God Bless this family and help them see this beautiful child.
OUYSPOKEN

United States

#17 Dec 2, 2007
This is a heart wrenching story - a series of incidents that should have been avoided but there irresponsible people are aided and abetted by the system.
You are sorry for the children but what do you do?
Do we have laws that require the authorities to neuter or spay the individuals that make bad choices and dump their problems on society?
I have no answers but I know they vote and breed.
Ghost Dog

United States

#18 Dec 2, 2007
The writer/reporter seems to be taking the side of the dad without knowing why the mother took the child and left. What were his "other issues", drugs, abusive behavior, etc. Three times in jail for failure to pay $250 in child support, plus 3-6 months before the arrest was made, seems like he owes a lot of child support! Does he make the payments now? Does the state forward those payments if he is making them? Did the mother have a SSN? Maybe the little girl is better off, same with the second child, what was her father like that made the mother take off with that child? At least the mother seems to take care of the children, unlike the father!

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#19 Dec 2, 2007
MAdison Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, does this mean you also believe welfare mothers should be sterilized ???
Sieg Heil, Not Concerned
xoxoxo
Actually, you probably were kidding when you made that statement. However, when living off welfare is one's lifestyle, yes, they should be sterilized. If for no other reason, then for the further good of the child(ren) they already have.

Women who have children that harm/murder them should be sterilized as well. Same goes for men who do the same.

“CLAN ROSE”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#20 Dec 2, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you probably were kidding when you made that statement. However, when living off welfare is one's lifestyle, yes, they should be sterilized. If for no other reason, then for the further good of the child(ren) they already have.
Women who have children that harm/murder them should be sterilized as well. Same goes for men who do the same.
I agree!!!

It is a known fact the welfare recipients will have babies just to increase the welfare payments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's going to pay for that Parker Meadows fias... (Feb '14) Sun Denton the Man 19
Bowery and Lazy Hiker, dirty hikers or homeless... Sun Denton the Man 9
Why is Bobby Coggins news media excluded? (Mar '15) Sun Denton the Man 27
Macon County Airport (Sep '13) Sun Denton the Man 15
Bankrupt Real Estate Agents in Macon County (Dec '15) Sun Denton the Man 16
Franklin is not a welcoming town (Oct '12) Sun Denton the Man 18
News Macon loses bragging rights for fastest growing... (Mar '11) Sun Denton the Man 163
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages