White critical of Detroit-bashing

Full story: Macomb Daily

Macomb County board Chairwoman Nancy White bashed the Detroit-bashing done by suburbanites, saying it has damaged the regional goodwill created by this year's Super Bowl preparations.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Wednesday Jun 25
suburbanite

Northville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2006

The changes brought about by Detroits attempts to impress Super Bowl visitors were mostly superficial and cosmetic in nature. Another example of opulent grandeur in the midst of decay. I must admit it was nice not to have to dodge the usual assortment of crap on the freeways for a few days, but the tires, temporary road signs, animal carcasses and abandoned vehicles are all back again and nothing has changed, except that a select few people made a ton of money ripping off the visitors.
greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2006

it's kind of hard to not bash detroit if you live in the suburbs, after all they did try to raise the water rates for the suburbs only. what kind of crap is that. suburbanite has it right. detroit is a hole that even the detroiters don't want to live in anymore. they can't even shop in their own city because there aren't any stores because the stores don't want to be in detroit. we all knew that detroit would go back to it's crappy old self after the super bowl. the only nice part of detroit is downtown and that's nothing compared to other big cities.
David

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2006

All the hype and Detroit pleading for support from everyone was fine.
The Super Bowl was a hit.
But as I expected and agree with above evrything went back to the same.
I had a woman who works and live in Detroit tell me I was not supportive of change.
I found this comment ignorant and rude.
I supported the Super Bowl and the city for many years.
I returned the comment that because I was not born in Detroit nor do I live in Detroit I do not have a right to say I am a Detroiter. Even though I grew up in many areas called ths hood I am still not really a detroiter.

What gets me even more is I work for Detroit. I have to pay city taxes out of my paycheck for a city I am not even allowed to vote in.

Now with the thinking of taxing fast food and everything else that the "Punk" Rip Off The People Mayor they have, why should I support them when I am not allowed to vote there.

Idiots put a thief back in office.
What was the matter with Archer? He got scared abd could not even run again. Why? Becuase of the racist attitude from black people stating the power is with the white man and archer acted white.

Blacks talk about discriminationm from whites. It was before my time and ancestors. Get over it already. The blacks cause more racism than they are treated badly with racism.

Ever notice in mixed neighborhoods, kids love each other no matter what the color??

ITS CALLED PARENT UPBRINGING AND SO DOES RACISM! IT COMES FROM THE HOME.

Support Detroit? Why? All it has done is hurt me and theres not a damn thing I can do about it.

I remember Hudsons and Santa as a kid. Now it is gone and all the stores are barred up or closed.

Detroit really thought they were going to be a Chicago after the Super Bowl?

Business owners are not stupid and know the clean up for a game and a cover up.

They bragged about how many retails opened up. You know those buildings were closed for years and only had 6 month leases. Watch how many leave once that time is up.

Sorry the only thing that is going to save Detroit is when the people get off this he acts like a whitey act and lets someone run the city it should be.

Sorry if your a Coleman fan but he destroyed it.
Tons of people glorified him.
Why? His nieces and nephews ran crack houses and he let it go. The economy for Detroit was the worst ever under his care.

Detroiters think this is great leadership?
Whatever!
BIG BROTHER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2006

The City is broke, the State is broke and the Country is 9 trillion dollars in debt. So whats new? This whole thing stinks of horrible corruption and mismanagement from the TOP to the bottom.
FEDERAL STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE CENSORED.
Government of the people by the rich isnt working... never has ,,, never will. WE NEED to renew the Constitution and throw out the rest. Let all the entrenched government employees and the pork barrel piglets be sent home. And the lies and the plundering go on and on and you have no one but yourselves to blame as you chose the people who will represent you, but do they tell you the truth? THAT OUR GOVERNMENT HAS BECOME BIG BROTHER AND YOU ARE BEING WATCHED? THAT YOUR FREEDOMS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY? THAT OUR CONSTITUTION IS A DEAD letter? NOW IS THE TIME TO SPEAK UP AND SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN

David

Saint Clair Shores, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2006

MICHIGAN IS HURTING.
There is growth out there but surely not here.
They say this is not a communist country.
Everyday we lose more rights.
Michigan depends and always has to much on the big 3 which sorry but GM is in trouble.
Where are our bombs of mass destruction? Almost $300 Billion and none to our own whom need help.
I have no political favorite, I vote for who I like.
But come on. We have been lied to. He said within months that we are no longer at war and we had won it yet everyone still refers it to war.

Detroit to rebuild needs the people to unite. Smarten up.
Stop the hate, the murders, drugs. It has become out of control and has been for years. Some streets are absolutely frightning to go through and those poor people living next to a burnt house.

Imagine smelling that all day long.

The city has a ways to go.
Kwaymen needs to stop filling hid pocket and help the city.

Come on.
Almost cancels the fireworks.
Closes the Bell Isle Zoo.
Gives great promises for re-election.
Not even a year in to the new year and an announcement to close our Zoo.
Amongst other things.
Detroit needs a mayor and unfortunately we have no say on it for we don't live ther.
greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2006

David wrote:
All the hype and Detroit pleading for support from everyone was fine.
The Super Bowl was a hit.
But as I expected and agree with above evrything went back to the same.
I had a woman who works and live in Detroit tell me I was not supportive of change.
I found this comment ignorant and rude.
I supported the Super Bowl and the city for many years.
I returned the comment that because I was not born in Detroit nor do I live in Detroit I do not have a right to say I am a Detroiter. Even though I grew up in many areas called ths hood I am still not really a detroiter.

What gets me even more is I work for Detroit. I have to pay city taxes out of my paycheck for a city I am not even allowed to vote in.

Now with the thinking of taxing fast food and everything else that the "Punk" Rip Off The People Mayor they have, why should I support them when I am not allowed to vote there.

Idiots put a thief back in office.
What was the matter with Archer? He got scared abd could not even run again. Why? Becuase of the racist attitude from black people stating the power is with the white man and archer acted white.

Blacks talk about discriminationm from whites. It was before my time and ancestors. Get over it already. The blacks cause more racism than they are treated badly with racism.

Ever notice in mixed neighborhoods, kids love each other no matter what the color??

ITS CALLED PARENT UPBRINGING AND SO DOES RACISM! IT COMES FROM THE HOME.

Support Detroit? Why? All it has done is hurt me and theres not a damn thing I can do about it.

I remember Hudsons and Santa as a kid. Now it is gone and all the stores are barred up or closed.

Detroit really thought they were going to be a Chicago after the Super Bowl?

Business owners are not stupid and know the clean up for a game and a cover up.

They bragged about how many retails opened up. You know those buildings were closed for years and only had 6 month leases. Watch how many leave once that time is up.

Sorry the only thing that is going to save Detroit is when the people get off this he acts like a whitey act and lets someone run the city it should be.

Sorry if your a Coleman fan but he destroyed it.
Tons of people glorified him.
Why? His nieces and nephews ran crack houses and he let it go. The economy for Detroit was the worst ever under his care.

Detroiters think this is great leadership?
Whatever!
AMEN
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jun 25

This thread is from ages ago.
Post away!
Steve

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jun 25

Yea, we've been through the "great recession" since.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Franklin Discussions

Search the Franklin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
14th District race packed with action, but ther... 1 hr sfd resident 1
Funeral planning seminar planned June 23 (Jun '10) 1 hr Brain 5
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 23 hr gottondas 5,482
What is going to happen to St Vincent and Sarah... (May '06) Jul 20 Barb Gluski Arthur 256
The puppet musical for adults only (Aug '12) Jul 15 Medfer 5
Strippers steal the Players stage (May '10) Jul 11 Earl 10
Review: K & K Quick Oil Lube Inc (Mar '09) Jul 11 Earl 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Franklin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••