Subcommittee votes unanimously to dem...

Subcommittee votes unanimously to demolish blighted property

There are 17 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Subcommittee votes unanimously to demolish blighted property. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

Four blighted properties in the city are a step closer to the wrecking ball -- a recommendation to declare each property a public nuisance and demolition will be presented to the City Council next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

Liberal and Proud of it

Williamstown, MA

#1 Mar 7, 2008
Sad, silly arguments in what amounts to chest thumping contest.

It will still come down," he said. "This is just the beginning. There will be more to come." I believe this was the motto of the Urban Renewal on Main Street all those years ago.

"The sad thing is that most of these buildings are in main entrances to our city," Barrett said. "It's just hurt us. We've made leaps and bounds to get ahead, but these blighted properties hold us back." Is the Mayor suggesting the visitors to the area stop and turn around when they see these buildings? Surely people of any intelligence will realize that every community has some rough spots. Now maybe combined with the what could be the worst looking bridge in Massachusetts - tourists might get that impression. I wonder if the costs in legal fees, taking the property, demolishing the building, reduced tax income, etc would go a long way towards fixing that bridge?

Since: Mar 08

Clockville, NY

#2 Mar 7, 2008
Blighted- To have have harmful effect. Something that Impairs Growth, Withers Hopes and Ambitions and Impedes Progress and Prosperity.

The only thing blighted in this town, is the Puppeteer and the Puppets!
Brian Miksic

Clockville, NY

#3 Mar 7, 2008
The bridge you refer to is State owned--the city couldn't fix it even if it wanted to.

Taking down blighted buildings will definitely help with growth, hope, progress and prosperity.

I'm sure we can find better places for people to live than these properties.

I'm also sure that the homeowners near these properties will be happy with their removal.

This city must make the statement that you must keep your properties clean and safe.

Clockville, NY

#4 Mar 7, 2008
All I see are very old houses, with character, that could be renovated! It would probably cost even less than the wrecking ball!

This city must make a statement about all of our homes? Maybe the city should go door to door,to issue us all violations!

Give me a break, last thing I knew I lived in the United States!

Clockville, NY

#5 Mar 9, 2008
I would like to nominate a building for Blight.It's that big ugly muti-colored barn on Beaver St. I think it would be much prettier with a X on it!
Option A

Clockville, NY

#6 Mar 9, 2008
and while we're at it, what about the shack at 57 harris street?
chris tremblay

Albany, NY

#7 Mar 9, 2008
i asked and it's not on the list.....
chris tremblay

Albany, NY

#8 Mar 9, 2008
oh and by the way....my shack at 57 harris st is assesed at 112k....if you want to give me 110 i'll be out by friday.....

Clockville, NY

#9 Mar 9, 2008
I think the Eclipse Mills are kinda ugly, maybe they should go on that list too! I'll have to ride around and check out the rest of the properties. I only got till tuesday.

We could rent the wrecking ball for just one day that way! We will save taxpayers tons of money!

Maybe we should go inside their houses too, the blight might be inside ( I guess I need to focus on the outside first).

Clockville, NY

#10 Mar 9, 2008
chris tremblay wrote:
oh and by the way....my shack at 57 harris st is assesed at 112k....if you want to give me 110 i'll be out by friday.....
I think 57 Harris St. is quite nice, Definately does'nt belong on the list.
chris tremblay

Albany, NY

#11 Mar 9, 2008
could use some siding.......hopefully by the end of the fall it will have all it needs........

Clockville, NY

#12 Mar 9, 2008
chris tremblay wrote:
could use some siding.......hopefully by the end of the fall it will have all it needs........

Does the mayor have to hire a structural engineer to deem these properties unsafe?

How are these houses a public nuisance?

Eminant Domain: To take private property for the mayor's purpose.
Joe Average

United States

#13 Mar 10, 2008
Less slums means less dirtbags and less dirtbags means less places for the trash that sell drugs to shackup in.Keep up the good work.Slum landlords are parasites and should be treated as such
takecare

Clockville, NY

#14 Mar 10, 2008
You need to get a clue! You don't think Mohawk Forest or any apartment buildings have drugs or parasites(as you call them) They also have good people who live there!

What give a person a right to put a X on a property, cause a parasite might live there. Is that not discrimination?

Is that 70 year old a parasite?
Otto Schmidlap

Springfield, MA

#15 Mar 11, 2008
Liberal and Proud of it wrote:
Sad, silly arguments in what amounts to chest thumping contest.
It will still come down," he said. "This is just the beginning. There will be more to come." I believe this was the motto of the Urban Renewal on Main Street all those years ago.
"The sad thing is that most of these buildings are in main entrances to our city," Barrett said. "It's just hurt us. We've made leaps and bounds to get ahead, but these blighted properties hold us back." Is the Mayor suggesting the visitors to the area stop and turn around when they see these buildings? Surely people of any intelligence will realize that every community has some rough spots. Now maybe combined with the what could be the worst looking bridge in Massachusetts - tourists might get that impression. I wonder if the costs in legal fees, taking the property, demolishing the building, reduced tax income, etc would go a long way towards fixing that bridge?
Liberal and stupid would be more like it hey Spud?
Otto Schmidlap

Springfield, MA

#16 Mar 11, 2008
takecare wrote:
You need to get a clue! You don't think Mohawk Forest or any apartment buildings have drugs or parasites(as you call them) They also have good people who live there!
What give a person a right to put a X on a property, cause a parasite might live there. Is that not discrimination?
Is that 70 year old a parasite?
Yes.it is descrimination against dirtbags and that is good.
takecare

Clockville, NY

#17 Mar 11, 2008
Otto Schmidlap wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.it is descrimination against dirtbags and that is good.
Maybe they need to put a X on your house then?

If your old enough,you might get a bonus,Humiliated in the newspaper!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sydney bushard (May '16) Apr '18 Lol 2
Review: SPG Home Services Inc. Mar '18 Kevin 1
News Doherty family of Franklin a heartbrokena over ... (May '17) Dec '17 StephenJP 4
Bob deforest (Apr '17) Apr '17 Qwitjabitchen 1
News Accused Bellingham rapist accidentally released (Jan '07) Apr '17 Qwitjabitchen 2
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in Massachusetts... (Oct '10) Apr '17 Butch Cassidy 13
Dean Dash 5k (Feb '17) Feb '17 Dean College 1

Franklin Jobs

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages