Building Owners Plead for Time

Building Owners Plead for Time

There are 25 comments on the www.iberkshires.com story from Feb 28, 2008, titled Building Owners Plead for Time. In it, www.iberkshires.com reports that:

With the clock ticking toward demolition, owners of blighted properties targeted for removal pleaded for just a little more time on Tuesday from the City Council.

"I'm sorry he saved some of these from the wrecking ball because some of them should have had a wrecking ball ... that would have been neighborhood revitalization." - Mayor John Barrett III

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.iberkshires.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Corroded Carnyford

Gloversville, NY

#1 Feb 28, 2008
this guy and the trembleys and deeps and borers of the world should pull up stakes and get out of town. the mayor is done playing with you boys and your properties will be dust and parking lots soon. can't wait!!!!

just think of the bliss that will ensue!!! then he should go after the supermarket people who let their carts be used by the lowest dregs of society.
chris tremblay

North Adams, MA

#2 Feb 28, 2008
wtf are you talking about?....i own
2 single family houses....1 i live in and the other abuts my property.....the one i rent actually looks better than mine, currently.....get you facts straight and my name is spealt tremblay....you f'in moron....
chris tremblay

North Adams, MA

#3 Feb 28, 2008
i actually have a plan for the carts.....charge a quarter to retreive one from the store.....lock them up and when you bring it back you get your quarter back.....some places actually have ordinance that requires electronic monitoring....too bad we can't get that for diddlers...the stores don't want their carts floating around...it costs them money.....so round up all the carts you have hanging around your house and bring them back!
manage the process

Gloversville, NY

#4 Feb 29, 2008
is there anything you don't comment on! you should put as much time into the pizza hole you run, maybe the food would be better and you could start making money on it.

Since: Mar 08

Rensselaer, NY

#5 Mar 6, 2008
Why are we allowing this? Why isn't the community trying to help these people keep their properties?

Extreme Makeover North Adams, not destroy!

We need to get a group of people together and start renovating!
Michael Fordham

Gloversville, NY

#6 Mar 6, 2008
when you do, let me know. you can do my house first. i want to redo my kitchen and put a half bathroom in the lower level. when do you think you can start?

mike

Rensselaer, NY

#7 Mar 6, 2008
Michael Fordham wrote:
when you do, let me know. you can do my house first. i want to redo my kitchen and put a half bathroom in the lower level. when do you think you can start?
mike
When we get done repairing all the properties that the city wants to demolish!

Since: Feb 08

North Adams, Mass.

#8 Mar 6, 2008
Before you start talking about using taxpayer funds to fix up rental housing owned by others, you should see those structures. I did. Check out "Councilors Get Close Up Look at Blight" above and there'll be another story later today.

Don't forget. These owners have been cited for violations going back years; whether they'll get even more time is up the City Council.

Rensselaer, NY

#9 Mar 6, 2008
I'm not talking about taxpayers money! I'm talking about their hands and hearts! When I see a 70 year taxpayer begging for time, maybe just maybe, GIVE HIM TIME! OR GIVE HIM A HAND!

North Adams, Mass.

#10 Mar 6, 2008
Sorry takecare for confusing community and city when it came to helping.

Other than you, there doesn't seem to be any outpouring of support for Mr. Perras (who may or may not be living in North Adams) or the others in helping them fix up what are investment properties - not their homes. All these buildings have been vacant for years.

Rensselaer, NY

#11 Mar 6, 2008
iBerkshires wrote:
Sorry takecare for confusing community and city when it came to helping.
Other than you, there doesn't seem to be any outpouring of support for Mr. Perras (who may or may not be living in North Adams) or the others in helping them fix up what are investment properties - not their homes. All these buildings have been vacant for years.
Your forgiven! I don't know Mr. Perras either but I have empathy for him.
I don't know what his violations are either, but it seems in this town unfortunately, everything or anything can be a violation!(Unless you have connections).
Takecare-of urself

Gloversville, NY

#12 Mar 6, 2008
just like a liberal. offer help, when someone accepts, you say it's not for you. basically it's discrimination.
the mass. way

Rensselaer, NY

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Takecare-of urself wrote:
just like a liberal. offer help, when someone accepts, you say it's not for you. basically it's discrimination.
the mass. way
What are you talking about? I would help! Just tell me what needs to be done!

North Adams, Mass.

#14 Mar 6, 2008
I have empathy for Mr. Perras, too. He seems like a very nice man who, perhaps, took on task beyond his abilities. But I know how hard the city's inspectors work, too, and believe there is good reason for their frustration. It's a sad case all around.
chris tremblay

North Adams, MA

#15 Mar 6, 2008
it is a sad occasion.....the city's historical society has deemed the perras property as one that has historical significance.....there are many properties in our city that are in much worse shape than the perras property...one that comes to mind is a borer property on hall st. that has been totaled by fire....it poses a danger to the neighborhood....isn't that what the process of condeming and tearing down properties is about?.....safety of the public....
No Luck

Gloversville, NY

#16 Mar 7, 2008
you fool. if you read the article, the historical commision only wants to save the property because it will create a vacant lot that someone may be able to build a house on that the commission deems not in keeping with the character of the neighborhood. they're right, noone would come in and build any rundown shack like those that already exist there.
chris tremblay

Barre, MA

#17 Mar 7, 2008
well you dork if you read the article you would know that grant money won't pay for the demolition.....sonow you have a house that is paying taxes coming off the rolls with the city sitting on another vacant lot....we don't have money for employees in the inspectional services division but we have 100k to tear down a house and take it off the tax rolls.....
takecare

Rensselaer, NY

#18 Mar 10, 2008
Check out these web sites:

Eminent Domain: Being Abused? 60 min. Mike Wallace

Drew Carey reports: La officials use Eminent Domain to help rich get richer.

People, Wake Up! Does'nt anybody else see what is going on in this town!
takecare

Rensselaer, NY

#19 Mar 11, 2008
When we are done stealing these properties,can we use the debris to fill in the potholes,Please.

Rensselaer, NY

#20 Mar 18, 2008
A quote from today's editorial:

It appears a court needs to address the City Council ruling, a ruling requested by the mayor.In the United States, it is government for the people,not against the people or a person.
Fair is fair Mr. Mayor.

Bob Francis
Melbourne, Fla.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matt Birmingham Aug 26 JGJ026 2
clete elliott Aug 16 Stephanie 3
Catfished by guy from Wrentham Matt Birmingham ... (Feb '15) Aug 13 Dkp12345 6
News Mass. Lottery Earned A Record $5 Billion In Sal... Jul '15 Mortha 1
Bimbo the trash man?? Jun '15 Searching 1
Energy Hikes Jun '15 settle 1
VIDEO: Jade Helm 15 Marines Training For Concen... May '15 ctpatriot1970 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages