First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Franklin_Tax_Pay er

White House, TN

#1 May 14, 2013
The city should just go ahead and supply us Franklin residents HAZMAT suits, and "we the people" of Franklin, will clean this mess up, cause it's obviosus the city officials, and the mayor are useless. The guy that owns this mess lives in Warren County, we could pile it on a dump truck, and haul it over to his place of residence, and dump the crap in his front yard.
Please during the next election, vote everyone of these useless people we have, out of office. Many people arn't aware that they have sprinklers running on this mess everyday, because they don't want it blowing anywhere. Why you ask, cause it causes cancer. Do you not think people that live, work, and drive by this everyday, arn't breathing this toxic crap in? Something needs to be done. In Aug. it'll be an entire year, and nothing has been done, and no word on when it will be. Why not take some of the useless money this city waste, and get this mess CLEANED UP?!
Missy

Franklin, KY

#2 May 14, 2013
It appears the citizens are going to have to do this ourselves. I am researching the best way to contact the Governor's office and the EPA and I will post these here. "Enough is enough." Apparently, our city officials do not have any clout what so ever with the State. They should have used the $500,000 they used to purchase the Huber hotel and the Downey building to clean this up first. They could have then got a grant to purchase these buildings. If enough of us write and put pressure on the State maybe we can get this done. WE ARE TAXPAYERS. FORGET THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL. THEY ARE WORTHLESS.
beans

Portland, TN

#3 May 14, 2013
All it would take to get it cleaned up would be 5-6 people, three dump trucks, a backhoe, and a little compensation for their trouble. Mess gone in two weeks.
Justice

Portland, TN

#4 May 14, 2013
Maybe someone should call WBKO, or other media. Maybe broadcasting what's going on will light a fire. Isn't this why we elect people; so that we don't have to do it ourselves?
RUNFOROFFICE

Atlanta, GA

#5 May 14, 2013
beans, you need to run for office. Seriously, at least you know HOW to clean the mess up, something the councilmen and a mayor can't figure out. If anyone else had a mess like that, they would be fined daily for not cleaning it up. They were going to fine the owners of the old Village Inn for not cleaning up the back of their building. What is the difference?

People we need to wake up and realize what a mess our entire world is getting. We need to pray daily for a change. Not only in our small town, but for the world. Until we get God back in schools, government, etc, nothing is going to change. We pushed him out the door and now look what has happened.
voter

Portland, TN

#6 May 14, 2013
Franklin_Tax_Payer wrote:
The city should just go ahead and supply us Franklin residents HAZMAT suits, and "we the people" of Franklin, will clean this mess up, cause it's obviosus the city officials, and the mayor are useless. The guy that owns this mess lives in Warren County, we could pile it on a dump truck, and haul it over to his place of residence, and dump the crap in his front yard.
Please during the next election, vote everyone of these useless people we have, out of office. Many people arn't aware that they have sprinklers running on this mess everyday, because they don't want it blowing anywhere. Why you ask, cause it causes cancer. Do you not think people that live, work, and drive by this everyday, arn't breathing this toxic crap in? Something needs to be done. In Aug. it'll be an entire year, and nothing has been done, and no word on when it will be. Why not take some of the useless money this city waste, and get this mess CLEANED UP?!
The city states it is not a health hazard. Maybe they need to move their desks on the sidewalk next to it until it is cleaned up.
missy

Portland, TN

#7 May 14, 2013
voter wrote:
<quoted text>The city states it is not a health hazard. Maybe they need to move their desks on the sidewalk next to it until it is cleaned up.
Lol... Be A great place for the codes inspector desk! LOL!!!!
Franklin Resident

White House, TN

#8 May 15, 2013
Hell if Jim Brown was still mayor, he would have at least had this cleaned up by now. This mayor we have now is a joke.
FedUp

Portland, TN

#9 May 15, 2013
Missy wrote:
It appears the citizens are going to have to do this ourselves. I am researching the best way to contact the Governor's office and the EPA and I will post these here. "Enough is enough." Apparently, our city officials do not have any clout what so ever with the State. They should have used the $500,000 they used to purchase the Huber hotel and the Downey building to clean this up first. They could have then got a grant to purchase these buildings. If enough of us write and put pressure on the State maybe we can get this done. WE ARE TAXPAYERS. FORGET THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL. THEY ARE WORTHLESS.
Why would the city purchase these fallen down buildings anyway? Oh yeah, ANOTHER one of those privileged deals for someone's buddy. I heard the Downey building still has stuff in it that the police have to keep an eye on it to make sure nothing is amiss. What's up with that? If the city bought the building, he needs to get his stuff out, that's how it usually works. As far as the old hospital, it is a disgrace that people can get fined for not mowing their yards, but this horrible mess has been sitting there for all this time. Surely there is an EPA violation going on that needs to be reported.
Jim Brown

Franklin, KY

#10 May 15, 2013
"Miss me Yet?"
serious

Chicago, IL

#11 May 16, 2013
Asbestos doesn't cause cancer, it causes mesothelioma, and as long as it stays wet it is not a danger. But I agree, it needs to be cleaned up.
Della

Mayfield, KY

#12 May 16, 2013
It's been almost a year. Now I understand that they have to take the apartment building down first so they can get at the remains of the hospital.

They could have used the inmate program to take the stuff out in wheelbarrows and it would have been done before this.

I just don't understand why the owner of the building wasn't responsible for getting it cleaned up. That's the way it would work if my house burned down. It would be my problem, not the town's.

At the very least I think the town has done a very poor job of communicating what is or is not actually happening and why.
Get Educated

Bowling Green, KY

#13 May 16, 2013
Gee! It would be nice if ANY of you actually attended the meetings and knew what you were talking about. The sprinklers are what the EPA suggested as an ADDED safety precaution due to the possibility of Asbestos dust. The removal of the building IS moving forward and is finally moved to an end stage where the city can gain possession of the building and remove it. All this blah blah blah when you don't know the facts. The city has been moving forward since the day of the fire. Actually before the fire as they were forcing Walker to deal with the unstable open structure in the months prior to the fire.(And yes, better late than never and the new code guy helped out with that). They are now to the point where all the action is coming together and the city will take the property.(legally)and get it out of here! My understanding is you will most likely see action WITHIN the next 30 days. This was a legal process. The city had to defend its actions of pushing the building down to save the other businesses along Madison from it falling onto them. There are reports from a structural engineering firm telling the city that the best way to protect the other businesses was to do that. Why you all don't get ALL the facts before spouting off with half information really concerns me. Although, once the city has the legal right to remove it, dumping it Walkers front yard works for me...
College Street Resident

Franklin, KY

#14 May 16, 2013
The sprinklers are ADDED safety precautions????? Added to what??? I am not aware of any safety factors except a chain length fence. They moved the council meetings to a time very few people can attend but I have watched them on TV and I have not heard this discussed in the open.(This is more behind the doors crap kind of like out codes inspector fiasco.) Apparently you work for city hall so maybe they are sharing more information with you than the public. I suggest you come and live close to this crap and breath the air for a while before coming on here with your lecture. We have heard NEXT 30 days for 8 months now.
Asbestos Dust

Bowling Green, KY

#15 May 16, 2013
Once a person has inhaled (or swallowed) asbestos dust the fibres will remain in the body for many years because they are so durable. The tiny asbestos fibres can then penetrate the tissues of the body and lead to the development of one of a number of asbestos related diseases. Many asbestos-related illnesses take years to develop (in some cases up to fifty years).

Asbestos-related diseases are disorders of the lung and pleura caused by the inhalation of asbestos fibres. Asbestos-related diseases include disorders such as asbestosis (pulmonary fibrosis due to asbestos), diffuse pleural thickening, pleural plaques, pleural effusion, rounded atelectasis and malignancies such as lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma.
Della

Mayfield, KY

#16 May 16, 2013
Get Educated:

Since you obviously have more info than I do, I'd like to know why the actual owner wasn't responsible for all the costs of getting rid of the debris? If my house burns down, I 'm responsible to clean it up. Naturally, I have insurance for this purpose. What happened to the owner's responsibility?

Also, I cannot go to city council meetings. And, thanks to the audio system in the meeting room, I can't hear them on TV either.

As I think you can see from the comments on this board, the city has not done a very good job of explaining (perhaps in the newspaper?) what has been going on.

We appreciate any additional info or insight you can give.
Franklin Resident

White House, TN

#17 May 16, 2013
When you chose Get Educated as a name, it comes off as an attack on us. Your defending many leaders in Franklin, so I would assume you hold office. Tell me this then, when did Franklin get the grant from this fire? How long did they draw interest off it? Why did the city purchase the building behind the Hospital first, to make it a sub-station for the police department. Don't worry, we residents of Franklin plan on replacing you all come election time. I'm fed up with this town. The damn rock quarry is another issue that gets me steamed. If the entire city of Franklin was polled on that issue, 95% wouldn't want it. The fact this issue is still dragging on, baffles me to this day.
voter

Portland, TN

#18 May 16, 2013
Franklin Resident wrote:
When you chose Get Educated as a name, it comes off as an attack on us. Your defending many leaders in Franklin, so I would assume you hold office. Tell me this then, when did Franklin get the grant from this fire? How long did they draw interest off it? Why did the city purchase the building behind the Hospital first, to make it a sub-station for the police department. Don't worry, we residents of Franklin plan on replacing you all come election time. I'm fed up with this town. The damn rock quarry is another issue that gets me steamed. If the entire city of Franklin was polled on that issue, 95% wouldn't want it. The fact this issue is still dragging on, baffles me to this day.
Have you noticed when you ask sensible questions they get very, very quite?
Get Educated

Bowling Green, KY

#19 May 16, 2013
Franklin Resident wrote:
Chose Get Educated as I teach, nothing personal. They aren't drawing interest, they have been waiting on reports from the state fire marshal and legal issues to move forward which, I understand is all in place now. Give them another 30 days and I think we will see movement.....finally.
Voter

Franklin, KY

#20 May 17, 2013
30 days? down to 29 and counting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Destiny Mariah 50 min oooo 9
Cendy Dodd for Mayor 3 hr Case of Herpes 50
Hillary Clinton 6 hr Voter 26
Shawn Gregory (Oct '11) 15 hr Fshscheer1 47
does anyone know john pickering 23 hr johntruckdriver 1
houses rent to own Mon Anita 3
Store closing Sun Reader 34
More from around the web

Franklin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE