First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hometown Of Franklin

Hodgenville, KY

#1 Jun 30, 2013
Has anyone noticed any changes in Piggly Wiggly since the new IGA store has come to town?
Right or Wrong

Hopkinsville, KY

#2 Jun 30, 2013
Yes, the parking lot is empty and few customers in there when I am shopping. But watch for the 3rd of the month, they have more business.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 Jul 1, 2013
They are getting higher priced on some things also. Used to by favorite store.
Hometown Of Franklin

Hodgenville, KY

#4 Jul 1, 2013
I think they are still very nice on customer service and you won't find that way at other stores. There's not going to be a store that is cheaper on everything so I guess it's just a matter of the customer service and if the store has what you need. At least Piggly Wiggly is there to help carry your groceries out and they do their best to satisfy their customers. They've always been friendly to me and I'm not saying that's the only place I shop but I just hate to see a hometown store down. I know there was an article in the paper before about shops on the square wanting people to keep it local. Guess I just hope people will remember that with the groceries also. Don't get me wrong I know with the way the economy is that people have to shop for bargains
Elisa

Russellville, KY

#5 Jul 1, 2013
Hometown Of Franklin wrote:
I think they are still very nice on customer service and you won't find that way at other stores. There's not going to be a store that is cheaper on everything so I guess it's just a matter of the customer service and if the store has what you need. At least Piggly Wiggly is there to help carry your groceries out and they do their best to satisfy their customers. They've always been friendly to me and I'm not saying that's the only place I shop but I just hate to see a hometown store down. I know there was an article in the paper before about shops on the square wanting people to keep it local. Guess I just hope people will remember that with the groceries also. Don't get me wrong I know with the way the economy is that people have to shop for bargains
I agree 100 percent. They have ordered a couple of special items for me. They are friendly and always go out of their way to help if you've got a problem.

I can't do all my shopping there, because price really is an issue, but I buy whatever I can from Piggly. Also, if they have an ad in the paper, I buy the item at Piggly -- I DON'T price match it at Walmart. And Piggly really is the cheapest on certain items, so don't assume they aren't. Their produce section has improved a great deal in the past few years. The stuff always looks good.
Franklin Resident

Hodgenville, KY

#6 Jul 1, 2013
Elisa wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100 percent. They have ordered a couple of special items for me. They are friendly and always go out of their way to help if you've got a problem.
I can't do all my shopping there, because price really is an issue, but I buy whatever I can from Piggly. Also, if they have an ad in the paper, I buy the item at Piggly -- I DON'T price match it at Walmart. And Piggly really is the cheapest on certain items, so don't assume they aren't. Their produce section has improved a great deal in the past few years. The stuff always looks good.
I totally agree with you and their meat is outstanding and I love that it's not prepackaged
feeling you

Hopkinsville, KY

#7 Jul 2, 2013
I love the pig. GO TO THE PIG
King Kong Bundy

Franklin, KY

#8 Jul 2, 2013
The Pig has THE best prices on meat in town. And they also have some really good sales from time to time.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22 Jul 20, 2013
What you don't see at Wal-Mart is how all the money is banked at Franklin for a day and drawn out and sent to Bentonville Ark. which does nothing for our community.
management

Portland, TN

#23 Jul 20, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
What you don't see at Wal-Mart is how all the money is banked at Franklin for a day and drawn out and sent to Bentonville Ark. which does nothing for our community.
and just what good would it do our community if it was banked here? They ain't going to give it away.
voter

Portland, TN

#24 Jul 20, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
What you don't see at Wal-Mart is how all the money is banked at Franklin for a day and drawn out and sent to Bentonville Ark. which does nothing for our community.
every time you open your mouth u get your ass kicked

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#25 Jul 20, 2013
management wrote:
<quoted text>and just what good would it do our community if it was banked here? They ain't going to give it away.
Philadelphia is a good example of a town that has no money.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27 Jul 20, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Philadelphia is a good example of a town that has no money.
Detroit is the city I meant to use as an example of a bankrupt town/city. There are many right now that are struggling to keep afloat.
obama

Portland, TN

#28 Jul 21, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
<quoted text>Detroit is the city I meant to use as an example of a bankrupt town/city. There are many right now that are struggling to keep afloat.
Detroit went broke because walmart did not bank their money there.
Rain

Bowling Green, KY

#29 Jul 21, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
What you don't see at Wal-Mart is how all the money is banked at Franklin for a day and drawn out and sent to Bentonville Ark. which does nothing for our community.
I agree with your premise that Wall Mart adds nothing to our community,its way past time for the citizens of Franklin to take their town back from those who succle

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#30 Jul 21, 2013
obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Detroit went broke because walmart did not bank their money there.
Not exactly what I said for those that can read and comprehend, but it is one good example.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#31 Jul 21, 2013
Rain wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with your premise that Wall Mart adds nothing to our community,its way past time for the citizens of Franklin to take their town back from those who succle
Thanks...finally a poster with some plain ole common sense. Hard to find folks like this day and time. If what I'm looking for can be found there, I go to TSC, or Lowes. China Mart is killing other business's in every town and most can't see it.
About Walmart

Portland, TN

#32 Jul 21, 2013
YOU WONT LIKE THIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks...finally a poster with some plain ole common sense. Hard to find folks like this day and time. If what I'm looking for can be found there, I go to TSC, or Lowes. China Mart is killing other business's in every town and most can't see it.
I agree - Wal-mart has been killing small businesses since the day it opened. Iím not saying it isnít convenient and some prices arenít better, but look how their stock and prices have changed in past few years. I seldom shop there but when I canít find what I need anywhere else in town, I take my list and go.

My last trip I had seven items on my list - They had three of those seven. And before Wal-mart I could have purchased all seven within a one mile radius of our downtown square.(Oh, and with the three items I did purchase there, I had to wait 25 minutes to check out in one of the two open cashier lanes).

Because I am an animal lover and an aquarium enthusiast the first loss that comes to my mind is the pet shop that was located in the old Hutches Hut building. Robert had a great business there. Once he knew your needs he always made sure to stock what you would be calling for. If he didnít have it, heíd get it for you within three days. He even made trips to Louisville to get any special fish you wanted.

Does anyone else remember the pet section when Wal-mart first moved here? A huge inventory of fish and at least four aisles of pets supplies. Within six months of running Robert out of business their pet section dwindled down to what it is today. Thereís very little stock other than pet food, and buying fish there is risky if you have a established tank you don't want infected.

I could write pages about other Mom & Pop businesses that weíve lost since Wal-mart came and others weíll be losing in the near future, but what good would it do? I guess this is progress and the younger generation will learn to accept the type of selection and service Wal-mart offers <or doesnít>.

Personally, I guess I will learn to shop on line and avoid the frustration of Wal-mart when I canít find a home town owned business with my needs. Waiting for the postman isnít near as aggravating as waiting in line for 25 minutes to pay for three items or walking all over the store just to discover they no longer carry what they had a month ago.
RAIN

Bowling Green, KY

#33 Jul 21, 2013
wally world is driven by good old fashion corporate greed,they could have better pay for employees but they don't,better prices for customers but they don't,every employee will be part time because of health care laws.If you as a customer would pay more guess what?
dur

Portland, TN

#34 Jul 21, 2013
About Walmart wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree - Wal-mart has been killing small businesses since the day it opened. Iím not saying it isnít convenient and some prices arenít better, but look how their stock and prices have changed in past few years. I seldom shop there but when I canít find what I need anywhere else in town, I take my list and go.
My last trip I had seven items on my list - They had three of those seven. And before Wal-mart I could have purchased all seven within a one mile radius of our downtown square.(Oh, and with the three items I did purchase there, I had to wait 25 minutes to check out in one of the two open cashier lanes).
Because I am an animal lover and an aquarium enthusiast the first loss that comes to my mind is the pet shop that was located in the old Hutches Hut building. Robert had a great business there. Once he knew your needs he always made sure to stock what you would be calling for. If he didnít have it, heíd get it for you within three days. He even made trips to Louisville to get any special fish you wanted.
Does anyone else remember the pet section when Wal-mart first moved here? A huge inventory of fish and at least four aisles of pets supplies. Within six months of running Robert out of business their pet section dwindled down to what it is today. Thereís very little stock other than pet food, and buying fish there is risky if you have a established tank you don't want infected.
I could write pages about other Mom & Pop businesses that weíve lost since Wal-mart came and others weíll be losing in the near future, but what good would it do? I guess this is progress and the younger generation will learn to accept the type of selection and service Wal-mart offers <or doesnít>.
Personally, I guess I will learn to shop on line and avoid the frustration of Wal-mart when I canít find a home town owned business with my needs. Waiting for the postman isnít near as aggravating as waiting in line for 25 minutes to pay for three items or walking all over the store just to discover they no longer carry what they had a month ago.
walmart will survive with or without you. they employee many people in this town that like to work for nothing and many people that like to work for nothing shop there. I hate walmart but its not gonna change. period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 2 hr Fire Eater 837
Aquatic Park Pool Survey 6 hr FromKentucky 17
girl at overtime (Sep '15) 10 hr Country Boy 32
Sexual assault 12 hr Who 9
Fat Larry's coming to town! Mon Curious 3
heather burgett May 21 wildcat 2
Why May 20 OldDays 28

Franklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages