charles deweese trying to put rock qu...
big jim

Portland, TN

#21 Feb 20, 2012
what about our dam on drakes creek? will the blasting hurt it and our water supply?
Quarry Suporter

United States

#22 Feb 20, 2012
Well said resident!
Against the quarry

Rochester, KY

#23 Feb 20, 2012
Why does certain people keep making remarks that anyone against the quarry is jealous of Charles Deweese?!? Is that his best defense, that we are jealous of him? Has he never been opposed before?!? I don't have any reason to care how much money he makes nor how much land he owns. I do care though when he is trying to make money at my expense, when it affects and risks my safety, and the safety of my children and everyone else who lives on the narrow roads he plans to use. The roads surrounding this site are already falling apart. We don't need or want overweight trucks traveling our tiny roads placing our lives at more danger than we are already dealing with. Mr. Deweese, more power to you, make all the money you want, it's of no concern for me. Just not at the expense and safety of innocent people. I for one, will not talk badly about the Deweese family, but I will exercise my rights as a USA citizen and will be at the meeting next week to oppose the proposed rock quarry. If you wish to make your voice heard, be there:

Tues. Feb 28th 6:30pm
Franklin Simpson Zoning Board of Adjustments Meeting, 2nd floor of the old courthouse on the square
peace love and soul

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Feb 21, 2012
From what I see, the only valid arguement has been the trucks on the roads. But please remember the roads would be improved if needed. They will expand them if needed.

This is strictly about homeowners not wanting the value of their homes to decrease due to it being an eye sore.

Let's not be so short sighted.
resident of hansen quarry

United States

#25 Feb 21, 2012
You should ask the property owners near the quarry. Yes we bought land knowing it was there. The quarry used to be run by Bobby Edwards and he did a fantastic job. Not any more. I have had the air quality checked. The epa is aware of the problems. They do nothing. Dust that will never go away. Wash your car and before the day is over, it looks like a chalk board. Yes your foundation will be damaged. Use some common sense. This dust is everywhere inside and out.
Really wrote:
Ok everybody keeps comparing this quarry to Hanson... First off I believe the Hanson quarry was there before most of those houses were even built... We are talkn about a start-up of a quarry that is surrounded by homes already on a already narrow road by a creek... Hanson quarry Is off of a major road and nowhere near a creek so how can you even compare... It can't Hurt air quality? How you wait until it dries up run up and down a gravel road with your windows down and see how it feels to breathe all the rock dust... Do you know how Many sinkholes are around the proposed location? A lot so there's a chance with blasting some of these sink holes could collapse... Whack could then block off underground streams that supply water to the creeks... There will be loss of wildlife, the park will be affected by blasting and dust.... Idt anybody is against a Rock quarry it's the location!!! So I believe the ppl in this community have a right to be upset...
why us

Owensboro, KY

#26 Feb 21, 2012
The horse farms give horseback riding lessons and children are unassisted on horseback on trails. Would you want your child on horseback when dynamite is being set off only feet away, and you never know when.
why us

Owensboro, KY

#27 Feb 21, 2012
The quarry will be seen from the park, soccer fields, baseball fields, all of kinnard road, from roark, all of ditmore ford, white oaks subdivision and gold city. Hundreds of homes are locally involved not to mention the other homes in the area left to deal with the perpetual dust and blasting which is major when its at times 24/7. Don't even try to compare it to seasonal farming, which only produces dust 2-3 times a year. Our drinking water in the area comes from White House, but many many farms and homes in the area still run off of well water. Who will help them if a blast cracks their well. The plan supposedly is for an 87 acre quarry to begin with, but there are 400 or more acres attached that he will branch into someday. It sounds never ending to me. They've said the roads will have to be restructured because there is no room on any of these roads for 2 gravel trucks to meet. Let alone a school bus, dump truck, postman, or farm semi's. And there is nothing natural about lime dust being blasted from the ground 7 days a week. We aren't trying to control everything, but when what someone does with their land affects everyone and everything within a 3-4 mile radius, it becomes everyone's concern! The people in the area and those that utilize the park in any way all have legitimate concerns that need to be heard. As for the dog shelter, you need to understand that the dogs and cats there have already had a hard life and need to be adopted. The days they have there are crucial and if they are scared of blasting it will do nothing to help them put a good foot forward to be adopted.
Newcomer 1

Bowling Green, KY

#28 Feb 21, 2012
why us wrote:
The quarry will be seen from the park, soccer fields, baseball fields, all of kinnard road, from roark, all of ditmore ford, white oaks subdivision and gold city. Hundreds of homes are locally involved not to mention the other homes in the area left to deal with the perpetual dust and blasting which is major when its at times 24/7. Don't even try to compare it to seasonal farming, which only produces dust 2-3 times a year. Our drinking water in the area comes from White House, but many many farms and homes in the area still run off of well water. Who will help them if a blast cracks their well. The plan supposedly is for an 87 acre quarry to begin with, but there are 400 or more acres attached that he will branch into someday. It sounds never ending to me. They've said the roads will have to be restructured because there is no room on any of these roads for 2 gravel trucks to meet. Let alone a school bus, dump truck, postman, or farm semi's. And there is nothing natural about lime dust being blasted from the ground 7 days a week. We aren't trying to control everything, but when what someone does with their land affects everyone and everything within a 3-4 mile radius, it becomes everyone's concern! The people in the area and those that utilize the park in any way all have legitimate concerns that need to be heard. As for the dog shelter, you need to understand that the dogs and cats there have already had a hard life and need to be adopted. The days they have there are crucial and if they are scared of blasting it will do nothing to help them put a good foot forward to be adopted.
You did a great informative post. And it is all true. I dont live in that area but I do understand your worries.
4 rocks

United States

#29 Feb 21, 2012
All I have to say about the rock quarry is really none of us have any control over what happens the good Lord above is in control of eveything!!!! So you can say what you want about how bad it is or how much you don't want it but really it doesn't matter he knows what's gonna happen in this situation. I will pray for you on here who have bad mouthed Mr. Deweese!!! I also wish you the best because if you ever have the chance to do something that will help you out and help you to prosper just remember everything you have said and done in this situation. So on Feb 28th and 6:30pm show up and we will see what the Lord wants to happen!!
Atom

Bowling Green, KY

#30 Feb 21, 2012
I'd rather see a nuclear power plant than a quarry
Against the quarry

Elizabethtown, KY

#31 Feb 22, 2012
4 rocks wrote:
All I have to say about the rock quarry is really none of us have any control over what happens the good Lord above is in control of eveything!!!! So you can say what you want about how bad it is or how much you don't want it but really it doesn't matter he knows what's gonna happen in this situation. I will pray for you on here who have bad mouthed Mr. Deweese!!! I also wish you the best because if you ever have the chance to do something that will help you out and help you to prosper just remember everything you have said and done in this situation. So on Feb 28th and 6:30pm show up and we will see what the Lord wants to happen!!
Excuse me, but are you saying the people in this community are 'bad mouthing' Mr. Deweese just because we oppose him? Because we have chosen to believe a quarry in this quiet community is a bad idea? Has he never been opposed before?!? I haven't heard anyone 'bad mouthing'. To build a quarry in a residential farm area which is not zoned industrial, Mr. Deweese has had to follow rules like everyone else, this permit with Planning Zoning is the first step. He has to let the people living in this area know what he proposes. We now are faced with getting the word out to be sure everyone knows and is aware so they can decide for themselves. Now that we have found out what he intends to do in our community, its our right to voice our opinion. Its my opinion that a quarry in this area would destroy my quality of life and endanger my safety and everyone else's in the area. I plan to oppose. Its my right to do so. You, of course, can do the same.

All interested in speaking out AGAINST THE QUARRY, please do so on:
Tues Feb 28th at 6:30 pm
2nd Floor of the 'Old Courthouse'
On the square in downtown Franklin Ky

Thank you.
Shoot off

United States

#32 Feb 22, 2012
Rock on quarry
Whistledick

Destin, FL

#34 Feb 22, 2012
I don' think anyone could say anything they 'why us' would agree with once you say anything in support of the Deweese project. Seems you made up your mind before gathering 'actual facts'. Which makes me wonder about where you livie...and which of the two families that you might belong to that are mostly apposing the DeWeese's. I question if your adamant and prejudged comments and position do not have more to do with competition and covetousness than with any altruistic motivation to protect enviroment or fellow man. The facts are...the quarry's impact on the enviroment will be neglible, it will not be an 'eye sore', it will not 'cause damage via blasting'. It will provide profit for Mr. DeWeese and his investors....but isn't that what any business is expected to do? I mean...would you want to invest in a company that doesn't make profit? The quarry will cause some more traffice upon the roads leading into it....but that too will be neglible and of no more consequence than current traffic by farms (believe it or not...Semi tractor trailers routinely use these roads along with large harvesting vehicle. Trust me...the state highway department will be looking to the DeWeese partners to pay serious taxes for improvents. But that is assuming that Mr. Deweese won't be improving or creating a new road to service the operation. Yeahh....who'd thunk they'd actually want better roads to get their vehicles in and out on and be willing to accomplish that themselves. Perhaps more people would be better served by attending the meeting and veiwing the 'actual' facts before making defaming and profain statements of misinformation concerning the project, Mr. DeWeese, his partners or families.
for the quarry

Bowling Green, KY

#35 Feb 22, 2012
very well said, thats what people need to do listen to facts.
Whistledick wrote:
I don' think anyone could say anything they 'why us' would agree with once you say anything in support of the Deweese project. Seems you made up your mind before gathering 'actual facts'. Which makes me wonder about where you livie...and which of the two families that you might belong to that are mostly apposing the DeWeese's. I question if your adamant and prejudged comments and position do not have more to do with competition and covetousness than with any altruistic motivation to protect enviroment or fellow man. The facts are...the quarry's impact on the enviroment will be neglible, it will not be an 'eye sore', it will not 'cause damage via blasting'. It will provide profit for Mr. DeWeese and his investors....but isn't that what any business is expected to do? I mean...would you want to invest in a company that doesn't make profit? The quarry will cause some more traffice upon the roads leading into it....but that too will be neglible and of no more consequence than current traffic by farms (believe it or not...Semi tractor trailers routinely use these roads along with large harvesting vehicle. Trust me...the state highway department will be looking to the DeWeese partners to pay serious taxes for improvents. But that is assuming that Mr. Deweese won't be improving or creating a new road to service the operation. Yeahh....who'd thunk they'd actually want better roads to get their vehicles in and out on and be willing to accomplish that themselves. Perhaps more people would be better served by attending the meeting and veiwing the 'actual' facts before making defaming and profain statements of misinformation concerning the project, Mr. DeWeese, his partners or families.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#36 Feb 23, 2012
resident of hansen quarry wrote:
You should ask the property owners near the quarry. Yes we bought land knowing it was there. The quarry used to be run by Bobby Edwards and he did a fantastic job. Not any more. I have had the air quality checked. The epa is aware of the problems. They do nothing. Dust that will never go away. Wash your car and before the day is over, it looks like a chalk board. Yes your foundation will be damaged. Use some common sense. This dust is everywhere inside and out.
<quoted text>
All of this will be true. The only good part that you will get out of it will be that you will not have to lime your yards or pasture fields.
Franklin

Bowling Green, KY

#37 Feb 23, 2012
I am not sure of the plans going on, but I have family in the area. Personally I would not want this sort of thing close to my home. My main concern would be the higher traffic volume on such dangerous roads. Trucks carrying heavy loads on those roads sounds like trouble to me. There are already so many accidents out there, and adding heavy trucks to the mix will not help. I say if the roads are fixed and no one's homes are within danger, put it in. We need more jobs here in Franklin. As for the drinking water, if all laws are followed it should be fine.
Against the quarry

Rochester, KY

#39 Feb 24, 2012
All of the properties in this area have lots of sinkholes, some open, others below ground surface, and some are HUGE. The Deweese property, like the other farms, has an abundance of sink holes and underground caves/streams. A quarry and dynamite blasts will further damage the land surrounding the proposed site, causing more sinkholes to open. Causing the ground to collapse and fall in where the HUGE sinkholes and caves are. Not to mention the weight of the heavy trucks and equipment running across the land.
They have mentioned they don't intend to take water out of the creek? If that is correct then they intend to draw from the underground water supply and this will also cause the ground to collapse when the water is removed. NO ONE HAS EVEN DISCUSSED THE TERRIBLE MOSQUITO PROBLEMS WE WILL HAVE FROM THE PITS OF WATER THEY INTEND TO HAVE.
Against the quarry

Elizabethtown, KY

#40 Feb 27, 2012
REMINDER, TO ALL CONCERNED CITIZENS OF SIMPSON COUNTY:

Charles Weldon Deweese is seeking a conditional use permit to build a Rock Quarry on Ditmore Ford Road (in a quiet peaceful farming community NOT zoned industrial, near the city limits, right beside the community park, right beside the creek that supplies the city water, near downtown Franklin Ky). The Zoning Board will make a decision, whether or not to grant a permit, at this meeting..........

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 28th AT 6:30pm
F.S. ZONING BOARD OF ADJUSTMENTS MEETING
2nd FLOOR OF THE 'OLD COURTHOUSE'
ON THE SQUARE IN DOWNTOWN FRANKLIN KY

THANK YOU
why us

Owensboro, KY

#41 Feb 27, 2012
Whistledick wrote:
I don' think anyone could say anything they 'why us' would agree with once you say anything in support of the Deweese project. Seems you made up your mind before gathering 'actual facts'. Which makes me wonder about where you livie...and which of the two families that you might belong to that are mostly apposing the DeWeese's. I question if your adamant and prejudged comments and position do not have more to do with competition and covetousness than with any altruistic motivation to protect enviroment or fellow man. The facts are...the quarry's impact on the enviroment will be neglible, it will not be an 'eye sore', it will not 'cause damage via blasting'. It will provide profit for Mr. DeWeese and his investors....but isn't that what any business is expected to do? I mean...would you want to invest in a company that doesn't make profit? The quarry will cause some more traffice upon the roads leading into it....but that too will be neglible and of no more consequence than current traffic by farms (believe it or not...Semi tractor trailers routinely use these roads along with large harvesting vehicle. Trust me...the state highway department will be looking to the DeWeese partners to pay serious taxes for improvents. But that is assuming that Mr. Deweese won't be improving or creating a new road to service the operation. Yeahh....who'd thunk they'd actually want better roads to get their vehicles in and out on and be willing to accomplish that themselves. Perhaps more people would be better served by attending the meeting and veiwing the 'actual' facts before making defaming and profain statements of misinformation concerning the project, Mr. DeWeese, his partners or families.
Well, Whistledick, you speak just like I envision you to look, considering your name. Try thinking with your head. Maybe then you'll see that nothing I said was covetous or out of competition. I'm not affiliated with either family. However I live close and have my own opinions and have heard all I need to hear. There is nothing anyone could do or say to convince me this is a good idea. There are too many cons to name and the only plus is for Deweese. Tell him to put it in his own backyard! You sound like you work for him.
Newcomer 1

Nortonville, KY

#42 Feb 27, 2012
I am willing to bet that all the people who want to attend the meeting, wont even be able to, the room isnt big enough. Such a discussion should be held where more people can attend. Then you would be able to voice an opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Linda 8 min Linda 12
Brittiany Jarman (Dec '09) 9 hr neighborhood watch 7
White girl from fla 14 hr Anonymously 6
Anyone work 3rd shift at walmart in franklin 16 hr Mmeredith12 1
Mark Spitzer (Nov '11) Mon jack 48
Sexiest Milfs in Franklin (Sep '11) Sun stoner 56
Hit and Run? Aug 21 Dumb 1

Franklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages