Franklin band leader fired for comments

Franklin band leader fired for comments

There are 195 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 17, 2007, titled Franklin band leader fired for comments. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Franklin School Board fired high school band director John Sedwick on Monday night after a teacher said he made inappropriate comments.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Fellow Band Leader

Lexington, KY

#206 Jun 4, 2007
Like I said before, you have no idea who I am or if I even have any ties to the band. But, I know things that no one else on here knows. And that gives me an advantage above you and every other naysayer on this forum. I do have to give you particular credit. At least your comments are pointed at me, and not at the students and parents. Or, "kiddies, fat little brats, and the cool moms who do nothing but spoil their fat kids." Then, I can just laught at your comments because they don't reflect me at all. And anyone who knows anything about me knows that.

Say what you want. But, maybe you should look deeper into the facts displayed on here and see if your bullet is in the correct brain. I have a feeling, you didn't take the time to read thoroughly through all the comments. If you are an adult, than you're just misguided. If you're a student, then you're probably just out to blow off some steam. Either way, take a look at who you're talking to. Whether it be "the guard instructor" as you call me. Or just a concerned parent, as I am.

Maybe you should be concerned that there's still someone in that school who's twice as vulgar and disgusting as Mr. Sedwick could ever be, and a paid salaried teacher.Unless you're not a parent, and you couldn't care less. Then, say what you want, this whole forum is all meaningless dribble if it hasn't given people a fair assessment of the situation.
Fellow Band Leader

Lexington, KY

#207 Jun 4, 2007
Get a LIFE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey "fellow band leader"....aka, the guard instructor, obviously, GET A LIFE!! I think you need something better to do with your time, like go be a parent or go learn how to be a better guard instructor! All you're doing is making yourself look idiotic and really STUPID! I'd like to encourage all who read this to check out her Comment---particularly #200!!! Wow, if you're an adult leader of this organization and you talk as you do about students (i.e. "bratty", "boo hoo", etc..) it's no wonder why the program is falling apart! An organization is only as strong as its leadership, and between you my friend and your adoring band director--oh wait, your TERMINATED band director, it's obvious there are much bigger issues here.
Might I suggest you all decide to MOVE ON and decide what you're going to do to help these kids pick up and start over? Whether you all like it or not, Sedwick is gone and is being replaced. A new director will be coming in soon and I can promise you he/she will not be concerned about this situation and what you all think about it. I suggest you, as an adult, start encouraging these kids and parents to concentrate on what they can do to start anew or your program is DEAD! There will be no more band to complain about or its directors--your administration will make it easy for you and kill your program! Start setting a better example and encouraging these kids to now MOVE ON!
Sorry, this was meant to be BEFORE the previous comment of mine.

You have no idea who I am or what I've done to help these kids and their parents. I talked about that one particular student because she was bratty. Take a look at the whole story. She's not one of my students. Nor is she still associated with the band. And the program is not falling apart. There is nothing wrong with this program. And as a matter of fact, I think it is probably stronger than ever. If you would take a look deeper into my comments, you'll notice that I am only trying to point out to people how strong and smart these kids really are. And how much they're being underestimated by everyone around them, including people who have no idea....like you.

And how did this become all about me? This is about the situation at hand. The fact that John Sedwick was terminated unfairly. We all understand that there is no way that he's coming back. Even if they begged him, he wouldn't be back and no one blames him. I actually hope that a new band director comes in and gets a fair deal from all the kids and the administration. However, your comment,"A new director will be coming in soon and I can promise you he/she will not be concerned about this situation and what you all think about it." is false. If the new director is a decent person, they will care how the parents and kids feel about the current situation and respect their feelings. That doesn't mean that they have to dwell on it. But, they certainly can't come in unaware and uncaring. I know that whoever that person is will have total respect from the kids and their parents because they are wonderful people. They are also part of a great organization that was built on the foundation that Mr. Sedwick started.
Fellow Band Leader

Lexington, KY

#208 Jun 4, 2007
Like I said before, you have no idea who I am or if I even have any ties to the band. But, I know things that no one else on here knows. And that gives me an advantage above you and every other naysayer on this forum. I do have to give you particular credit. At least your comments are pointed at me, and not at the students and parents. Or, "kiddies, fat little brats, and the cool moms who do nothing but spoil their fat kids." Then, I can just laught at your comments because they don't reflect me at all. And anyone who knows anything about me knows that.

Say what you want. But, maybe you should look deeper into the facts displayed on here and see if your bullet is in the correct brain. I have a feeling, you didn't take the time to read thoroughly through all the comments. If you are an adult, than you're just misguided. If you're a student, then you're probably just out to blow off some steam.

Either way, take a look at who you're talking to. Whether it be "the guard instructor" as you call me. Or just a concerned parent, as I am. Maybe you should be concerned that there's still someone in that school who's twice as vulgar and disgusting as Mr. Sedwick could ever be, and a paid salaried teacher.

Unless you're not a parent, and you couldn't care less. Then, say what you want, this whole forum is all meaningless dribble if it hasn't given people a fair assessment of the situation.
former student

Franklin, IN

#209 Jun 4, 2007
Former band student wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that she was one of the favorites. Maybe there is more that is happening then what we know.
just so u know he hated me and allot of others 2
Fellow Band Leader

Lexington, KY

#210 Jun 4, 2007
Whoops, sorry. I don't know how that posted on here twice. I guess I just really want to get my point across.
former student

Franklin, IN

#211 Jun 4, 2007
member of the band wrote:
So she wanted it right?
wrong! she has a bf and even said so 2 him!but he didn't care!
former student

Franklin, IN

#212 Jun 4, 2007
Hurricane Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow!! I think anyone that would tell a woman she had nice breasts and a nice buttox should get at least six months in the electric chair after they hang him.
i wouldn't go that far!
former student

Franklin, IN

#213 Jun 4, 2007
Kristen FCHS Band Member wrote:
I plan on wearing my shirt every other day this week to! We <3 Mr. Sedwick!... And I want the WHOLE WORLD to know it!=D
just because u do does'nt mean everybody else does 2!
former student

Franklin, IN

#214 Jun 4, 2007
jotruck wrote:
I think she was slacking in her job performance also. My friend child was in the "hugh Energy" choir at the middle school.. many practices were cancelled due to her excuse of "needing to be at the highschool" for another committment.. whats up with this?
she has a choir there 2 don't forget!
quiet for too long

Lexington, KY

#215 Jun 4, 2007
Alright, I am the guard instructor. And might I start out with:

Do you know how ridiculous you ALL look? The point is, John Sedwick got the fuzzy end of the lollipop. And there's nothing anyone can do about it. He was and still is one of my best friends. I testified on his behalf and I have no apologies for what I said because it's the truth. But, everyone pointing fingers on here isn't going to do any good. Parents, I suggest you boycott this site. Let the others say what they want, they're just trying to get a rise out of you. Students, those of you that are upset, I understand. But, I told you all before. Whatever happens, happens and you have to deal with it. Your time is better spent practicing. Rehearsal starts sooner than you think. For those of you against Mr. Sedwick, your time is better spent studying. Stay off the internet, you're not getting anything done. And for those of you that feel the need to sit here and type all day, find something to talk about where your comments might mean something to someone. And everyone stop trying to find comments made by me on here. I said my peace in the trial, the administration didn't want to hear it. If you ask me, their minds were made up LONG before I got involved. Mr. Sedwick is moving on with his life, and I hope that he gets what he deserves out of this school system when he and his lawyer get done with them. I also hope that the other teacher involved finds a school system to which she is better suited. She honestly should not be around high school students. That's my opinion to which I am entitled to. For the rest of you, get on with your lives. Your time spent on here is time wasted. And leave me out of this. I have been through an incredibly emotional ordeal and I am just trying to keep my job. Where I have done excellent things. Just ask my students. None of us will ever forget Mr. Sedwick, he did some awesome things for these kids and the band organization. I am proud to know him and call him my friend. I am also proud to know his wife and call her my friend. They are great people, and they're not helpless. They'll make it. And so will all of us who suffered with them. I am calling for all of the students and parents who support Mr. Sedwick to stay off this forum. Everyone else will go away when they see that they have no one to upset by their comments. And you will go on with a new director, with or without me. That's yet to be decided. My name is Jaime Fischer. I am from Avoca, IN. Not from wherever this forum says I am fromm. And I am a proud supporter of the Franklin Community Band program. I can only hope that I am able to stay here and keep growing along with the rest of you. As of right now, go out and enjoy the weather. Stay off this website. And leave me out of this!
FCHS band rules

Carmel, IN

#216 Jun 5, 2007
quiet for too long wrote:
Alright, I am the guard instructor. And might I start out with:
Do you know how ridiculous you ALL look? The point is, John Sedwick got the fuzzy end of the lollipop. And there's nothing anyone can do about it. He was and still is one of my best friends. I testified on his behalf and I have no apologies for what I said because it's the truth. But, everyone pointing fingers on here isn't going to do any good. Parents, I suggest you boycott this site. Let the others say what they want, they're just trying to get a rise out of you. Students, those of you that are upset, I understand. But, I told you all before. Whatever happens, happens and you have to deal with it. Your time is better spent practicing. Rehearsal starts sooner than you think. For those of you against Mr. Sedwick, your time is better spent studying. Stay off the internet, you're not getting anything done. And for those of you that feel the need to sit here and type all day, find something to talk about where your comments might mean something to someone. And everyone stop trying to find comments made by me on here. I said my peace in the trial, the administration didn't want to hear it. If you ask me, their minds were made up LONG before I got involved. Mr. Sedwick is moving on with his life, and I hope that he gets what he deserves out of this school system when he and his lawyer get done with them. I also hope that the other teacher involved finds a school system to which she is better suited. She honestly should not be around high school students. That's my opinion to which I am entitled to. For the rest of you, get on with your lives. Your time spent on here is time wasted. And leave me out of this. I have been through an incredibly emotional ordeal and I am just trying to keep my job. Where I have done excellent things. Just ask my students. None of us will ever forget Mr. Sedwick, he did some awesome things for these kids and the band organization. I am proud to know him and call him my friend. I am also proud to know his wife and call her my friend. They are great people, and they're not helpless. They'll make it. And so will all of us who suffered with them. I am calling for all of the students and parents who support Mr. Sedwick to stay off this forum. Everyone else will go away when they see that they have no one to upset by their comments. And you will go on with a new director, with or without me. That's yet to be decided. My name is Jaime Fischer. I am from Avoca, IN. Not from wherever this forum says I am fromm. And I am a proud supporter of the Franklin Community Band program. I can only hope that I am able to stay here and keep growing along with the rest of you. As of right now, go out and enjoy the weather. Stay off this website. And leave me out of this!
Hey Guard Instructor, how's that job search going? Do you have your resume up to date? I am told that usually a new band instructor results in a new guard instructor. You didn't have much of a vested interest in this whole outcome - did you? Finally the mud starts to become clear. It is good to see that once again the "ME" first society in which we live has prevailed over ethics and the morals related to what is right and wrong. I suppose, at least you will have one reference in your future job search. I am not sure if I would use it. I hear his track record is questionable.

Since: Jun 07

Franklin, IN

#217 Jun 5, 2007
FCHS band rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Guard Instructor, how's that job search going? Do you have your resume up to date? I am told that usually a new band instructor results in a new guard instructor. You didn't have much of a vested interest in this whole outcome - did you? Finally the mud starts to become clear. It is good to see that once again the "ME" first society in which we live has prevailed over ethics and the morals related to what is right and wrong. I suppose, at least you will have one reference in your future job search. I am not sure if I would use it. I hear his track record is questionable.
That guard instructor you speak of has done great things for this program. She took a class B guard and turned them into an award-winning Class AA guard. She gave those girls a chance to be a part of something great. She's not job searching. She's staying right here. And she's going to do more great things with the program. We won't let her go anywhere. The administration would be stupid to let her get away. You obviously know nothing about her or the program that she helped build. I vote with her. Everyone in support of the band program, stay off this forum. This is no place to fight your battles. You're better than these idiots that can't keep their mouths shut.
someone from PHS

United States

#218 Jun 7, 2007
Okay, I simply cannot read anymore of this rubbish without commenting. I attend another high school where John Sedwick's wife teaches and also coaches academic super bowl. I have grown close to her over the past two years and I consider her a trustworthy person. Now, as I realize she is not the person in question, I will move on to my point. I have met her husband and their family. They are good people, upstanding citizens. I find it difficult to believe that a man who is such a loving father and husband and such a beloved teacher could do something so disturbing. I also agree with the comment someone made previously, concerning the investigation launched by the Teacher's Union. If they are so convinced he is such a slimeball they can legally decline to represent him. That is their perogative. I know you probably have your minds made up as the school board did when they put him on trial, but I find it interesting that the parents of band students and the band students who stuck with the class and did not drop out are on John's side. Obviously, the kids who dropped out did not have the dedication John Sedwick expected of his students and that is probably why they insist he played favorites and that they were not included in that select group. And if these students, these dropouts, claim their friends who stuck with the band agree then they probably need to think back to those conversations. It's mob mentality. Once the suggestion is made it is a heck-of-a-lot easier to agree. Thank you for your patience.
Franklin Resident

AOL

#219 Jun 7, 2007
It's really sad to see how this thing has so divided our community. Most people around here like each other...a lot! Walk down the halls of the high school on a parent-teacher night and everyone's waving and speaking to everyone else. Unfortunately, we've all seen teachers who play favorites for no good reason. And we've all seen teachers who have rewarded and punished for VERY good reason. No way to know which type case this is. And there's no way to know who did what in this little donnybrook know it, except the liar and the victim, whoever those individuals are. But whoever the liar is, and that person certainly knows who he or she is...SHAME ON YOU!
Jordan

Korea

#220 Jun 12, 2008
I stumbled on this just searching trying to catch up on the best teacher I ever had. I have zero knowledge of anything here but it's definitely sad to read. If I ever have kids I would want nothing more out of one of their teachers than what Sed was for me. He pushed me to work hard and was always upfront and honest. I know he HAS had many jobs around the state: Tell City(?) Marion, Zionsville (where he was my teacher)

I'm a professional musician now and I have nobody to thank more than Sed. I sincerely hope other kids get the chance to be pushed to success by Mr. Sedwick. I remember those times in Band with him 10 years ago as some of the most fulfilling memories I have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neo-Nazi who attended Charlottesville Neo-Nazi ... 1 hr Actions have cons... 1
Black People Alert 1 hr Just my observations 24
Gorka’s Fate ‘Extremely Uncertain’ as Boss Bann... 4 hr U GORKA GIRL 1
Bannon: Trump presidency is over 4 hr Bye Bye Bannon By... 1
Not welcome here says Dem Gov of Virginia 9 hr I C P knows all 6
Interracial blitz 10 hr Colour Bannon Gone 14
ObamaKlanther 10 hr Please get assist... 7

Franklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance