22 percent bump in officials' pay?

22 percent bump in officials' pay?

There are 7 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Aug 25, 2008, titled 22 percent bump in officials' pay?. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

Next year, Franklin's clerk-treasurer and mayor could see an unprecedented hike in their paychecks of 22 percent each.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

Dave

Willoughby, OH

#1 Aug 25, 2008
Hey....I think I do an excellent job too, but I won't be getting a 44% pay raise. I will have to settle for a 3% raise just like most of the rest of us.
Star Reader

Pryor, OK

#2 Aug 25, 2008
Dave wrote:
Hey....I think I do an excellent job too, but I won't be getting a 44% pay raise. I will have to settle for a 3% raise just like most of the rest of us.
I love math! This 44% pay raise is only $1925.
Brad M

Greenwood, IN

#3 Aug 25, 2008
Star Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I love math! This 44% pay raise is only $1925.
You wouldn't take an extra 2 grand a year from your boss??

And that amount is for the City Council. The Mayors salary would jump almost $12,000 next year.
Brad M

Greenwood, IN

#4 Aug 25, 2008
First of all, I find it both irritating and ironic when politicians justify giving themselves a pay raise with statements like "And if you want someone quality to do the job, you need to attract good people."

First of all, is Fred admitting that hew is not someone with quality? After all he ran as an Independent just to get this low paying job. Second, I think this whole argument is bunk. Many quality people have sought public office regardless of the pay. Most of us understand what it means to make personal sacrifices for the betterment of our community.

Then there is this line "Paris said he, the clerk-treasurer and the council do an excellent job and should be compensated fairly."

Do you want to toot your own horn, Fred? And get over your self. You aren't doing that good of a job. In fact, the Clerk-Treasurer is really doing your job, isn't she. I know it's really only to answer your questions but you have to ask her how to do everything.

And finally, this: "And taxpayers won't be paying the extra money for the mayor and clerk-treasurer, Paris said. The money for the proposed raises would come out of the city's storm water utility fund, not the taxpayer-funded general account."

Here's a clue Fred. That IS the taxpayers money. Every penny in the city treasury, regardless of its source, is the taxpayers money.
Say What Now

United States

#5 Aug 25, 2008
We the tax payers get the best government we can afford to pay-- not!
Brandon S

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 31, 2009
Who else can give them a pay raise, besides themselves? Kind of a tough situation, isnt it? When is the last time the office got a raise? And speaking of loving the math, it's 22% each. They are two different positions. You can't combine it to equal 44%. Maybe they earn a 22% raise because maybe they're work loads have increased. Who are we to judge something we know very little about?
Seriously

Galesburg, IL

#7 Jan 5, 2010
"Who are we to judge something we know very little about?"

We are the taxpayers we have every right to judge. When was the last time everyone else got a raise is the real question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacob Nay NC Coach resigns sex allegation (Mar '11) 43 min Browncounty1995 47
does pepsi drug test? which type? (Jul '14) 7 hr Lost_Oneironaut 12
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff (Aug '14) 9 hr CCCMERRDI 60
Obama welfare gone beserk (Mar '13) 18 hr cpeter1313 8
News Investors ask Steak n Shake: Where's the beef? (Nov '07) Mon Jogo22 46
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) Mon doubtful 980
What happened to my good friend Moe? Mon Davey 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Mortgages