did you go to University Heights Grade school?

Posted in the Franklin Forum

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013
mamaC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

I grew up in Indianapolis and attended University Height (Hanna Avenue)
did anyone else go to school there in the 1960's?
Dave H

Shelbyville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Yes I did and am looking for pictures. I am writinng a book about my days there.
Sheryl

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2012

There is a Facebook page, Old School Indy Southsiders. If you are on Facebook ask to join. You will find a lot of south side history. I'm still searching for University Heights history. I was there from 2nd grade ('64 - '65) through 5th grade ('67 - '68).
Rick M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

I attended the old University Heights grade school as well. I was there from 66 - 69. I believe it was in 69 that they transferred many or most of us to Clinton Young. When Sheryl was in 5th grade, I was in 2nd, but being an advanced reader, I spent half of my day in a 5th grade class. I believe the 5th grade teacher was missing some of her fingers.
Rick M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

I believe the 5th grade teacher was Mrs. Trent. I believe my 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Montel.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Where on Hanna was that school? I do not remember it. Not the one on asbury, that's now an ips school?
karen t

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2012

I went to grade school on asbury st. The school's name was school 65. It was. A great school.went there the full eight years. Great memories.
Southport Class of 74

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Rick M wrote:
I believe the 5th grade teacher was Mrs. Trent. I believe my 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Montel.
Mrs Lucas was the teacher who missing some fingers. She and Mrs (Opal) Trent both taught 4th Grade in the West Portable. The University of Indianapolis Library sets where the grade school sat.
I had Mrs (Jean) Bowman for 1st Grade (1962??), Mrs Parks was the other 1st grade teacher. Mrs Montel for 2nd grade, Mrs Forrest for 3rd, Mrs Trent for 4th, Mr Gerald for 5th and Mr (Frank) Simpson for 6th grade.
Mr Haynes was the principle for most of my time.
Southport Class of 1970

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

I think Mrs Lucas was my 5th grade Home Room teacher.She would grab your ear and lead you to the corner, when you did something wrong or did not do your homework. Her class room was in one,of the two added barracks from WWI on the west side of the school. We would find old rifle cartridges and shrapnel at recess in the woods just to the north. The one thing I remember most was being in 6th grade class when we heard Kennedy was killed. (and my first crush)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pants down DoN'T Shoot lol 2 hr Curious 2
Obama the race monger 3 hr BlackGhettoThug 8
Indy 500 9 hr AllAmerican 1
shannon mascoe 10 hr rebell yell 1
isis Solution 10 hr ISISMIDAS 1
The Isis Solotion 11 hr ISISMIDAS 1
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... 11 hr Blackology 7
•••
•••
•••