Daniels is open to Plan B for I-69

Daniels is open to Plan B for I-69

There are 156 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 26, 2007, titled Daniels is open to Plan B for I-69. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana could turn to gas tax revenues or tolls to pay for the I-69 extension from Indianapolis to Evansville, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Bill

Louisville, KY

#147 Apr 5, 2007
Scooter57 wrote:
Does Plan "B" include Mitch not returning ???
If it does, I'm all for it.
I hope Mitch returns, we canít afford anymore democrats like we had for the sixteen years of their reign. Before Mitch took over we were up to our eyeballs in debt.

We can still recall that was the reason Mitch got elected, people wanted change. We now have a good man and a good leader.
Lost In Space

Circleville, OH

#148 Apr 6, 2007
Captain Tony wrote:
True, but my point was poverty statistics Indy v. Evansville was a statistical wash.
I'll give you the people living in poverty are about the same in both citys. It's a fact. What I won't agree with is the fact that the two cites are even in the same ballpark. Indy has higher home prices, and a higher median income.
pokey

Indianapolis, IN

#149 Apr 6, 2007
Really wrote:
If the I69 extension is really going to be the NAFTA Highway connecting Detroit to Mexico, let the federal government pay for it.
Indiana DOES NOT need it.
I agree, let the feds pay for it.
pokey

Indianapolis, IN

#150 Apr 6, 2007
Lost In Space wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you the people living in poverty are about the same in both citys. It's a fact. What I won't agree with is the fact that the two cites are even in the same ballpark. Indy has higher home prices, and a higher median income.
Evansville is not that bad. Sure it does not compare to Indy but it's not a bad place.
pokey

Indianapolis, IN

#151 Apr 6, 2007
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope Mitch returns, we canít afford anymore democrats like we had for the sixteen years of their reign. Before Mitch took over we were up to our eyeballs in debt.
We can still recall that was the reason Mitch got elected, people wanted change. We now have a good man and a good leader.
True, Mitch is doing well with the Indiana economy but not all republicans are as good with money. Take our esteemed President Bush. he's put us almost into recession! he needs to be managing money like a kid needs to handle a gun.

Since: Dec 06

Greenwood, IN

#152 Apr 6, 2007
Lost In Space wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see that as an acceptable reason for not building I-69.
Lost In Space

Circleville, OH

#153 Apr 6, 2007
Captain Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see that as an acceptable reason for not building I-69.
And exactly how will this highway benefit the rest of the state of Indiana? Isnít this like building a road to nowhere?
IrishHedgewitch

United States

#154 Apr 7, 2007
Sounds like a bunch of bitching Hoosiers which is what we do best! We are the 6th fattest state,#2 for smoking, 2nd in job loss, but hey, at least we can bitch better than anyone I know. I suppose we will continue to do that 'til the cows come home - literally! Get something done, not if it can't be discussed and beaten to death for 20 years first.
Think about it

Noblesville, IN

#155 Apr 7, 2007
Lost In Space wrote:
<quoted text>
And exactly how will this highway benefit the rest of the state of Indiana? Isnít this like building a road to nowhere?
If we don't consider an outer loop of some kind, we will wind up with 465 as a 16 lane interstate - won't that be fun? An outer loop of interstate (co-funded with the feds) that diverts truck traffic away from Indianapolis will improve traffic flow here and will also develop commerce along the outer belt. Let the professionals determine exactly where this loop should start & stop - but work with it here a little and accept the fact that we ultimately will have to either expand 465 or build an outer loop. Beijing (obviously a larger city) is working on their 5th outer loop to handle the growth. take a look at a state map and you can see how Indianapolis IS the crossroads of America and we need to think beyond the county line. Think about a diamond shaped outer loop with the points on N,E,S, and West.

Since: Dec 06

Greenwood, IN

#156 Apr 7, 2007
Lost In Space wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...NO. It goes to Memphis, and Houston, and Evansville. I resent anyone insinuating that the 3d most populous city in Indiana is "nowhere." That's a chickensh_t elitist attitude. Besides, we're bigger than Bloomington, and warmer, too.

Since: Jun 07

Franklin, IN

#157 Jun 5, 2007
Scooter57 wrote:
Does Plan "B" include Mitch not returning ???
If it does, I'm all for it.
I second that. He was a bad idea. He's certainly not MY MAN!!!
30 miles shorter

Farmersburg, IN

#158 Jul 19, 2007
take indiana 67 south to indiana 57 then south to evansville
Griffco76

Newburgh, IN

#159 Jul 23, 2007
To all the anti-I69 imbeciles out there who consider progress a dirty word I've got news for you! I-69...the road to jobs prosperity, and growth is coming in 2008...whether you like it or not! God is a fan of this project. Even he can't believe it's taking so long to get this thing built. Would you defy God the Almighty? Thank you Mitch for Major Moves and I-69 direct!
30 miles shorter

Farmersburg, IN

#160 Jul 26, 2007
take i70 to sr 39 then go south to sr 67 . take sr 67 and sr 57 south to evansville .
mr smart

Farmersburg, IN

#161 Sep 4, 2007
if your going to take i69 down sr 37 bring it to bedford and rebuild us 50 to shoals and go SE to sr 57 then go south on i164.
Laura Bordenkecher

Kokomo, IN

#162 Mar 23, 2011
Time will, tell, won't it? I hope I AM over-exaggerating, but you don't have to go far to find retail where forest once stood. I'm just sayin'.
Racoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Laura, that's an exaggeration, based in fear of an apocalypse. "If not completely destroyed"?!? Please go to Google Maps and take a 'hypbrid'(i.e. satellite & map) look at Indiana at the same scale of that map you're looking at and tell us if you can see I-69, I-70, I-465, I-65, the Toll Road or I-64. You can't. The right-of-way for those roads are maybe 150-200 yards wide in total. How wide is the Hoosier National Forest? The 'footprint' of an interstate is really quite small, no matter how large it looks when you're standing on its shoulder.
As for your fear of "gas stations, restaurants and retail", they'll only exist at the interchanges. They won't stretch all along the route, ruining the pleasant vistas the road passes. Local zoning controls and state agreements can --and should-- make those interchanges more attractive and less gaudy than have been the custom since the 1960's. For instance, tall signs can be restricted; they're certainly not a necessary feature of an interstate.
The root of your concerns is valid, but you quite overstate them -- they can be intelligently remedied. Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good. Everyone should work to ensure more harmonious elements are incorporated into the road's design.
Meanwwhile, let us know if you can see any of those interstates from any altitude capable of giving a fair perspective of what I-69 might be relative to the forest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are the Police Bullies? (Sep '12) 1 hr why 52
AI Own Us All 1 hr cscb-bxtm-btcbb 2
Goodyear 3 hr cscb-bsvf-btcsx 5
Winning in Bama 3 hr Say What 2
Nicolas Long 4 hr Ryan A 3
News Bloomington, 2 counties join opioid lawsuit 7 hr why 1
News Jeff Miller served protection order at meeting 15 hr Quick Question 6

Franklin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance