Walgreens' "secret checklist" reveals controversial new policy on pain pills

Sep 18, 2013 Read more: WTHR-TV Indianapolis 36

Walgreens calls the document its Good Faith Dispensing Policy. It's a confidential 13 Investigates now has an internal document the nation's largest drug store chain has been trying to keep a secret.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#21 Sep 21, 2013
Trolling For Tards wrote:
I hope all these self righteous twits that dismiss other people's legitimate pain suffer a painful injury or disease and cannot get the relief they need because of the policies they advocate! Denying legitimate patients the medicines they need because of a manufactures "epidemic" is sadistic at best and immoral at its worst! Contrary to what American calvinists believe pain and suffering do not build character!
Thank you for the wishes and be well.
ugh

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Sep 22, 2013
Fibromyalgia my as*
Fibro Nobro

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Sep 22, 2013
When they can't test positive for a real disease, you come up with the fibromyalgia thing. No test for it so everyone can claim they have it to get pills.
ugh wrote:
Fibromyalgia my as*
Wagggggg

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Sep 22, 2013
ExWAGCustomer wrote:
Typical Walgreens pharmacist trying to hurt their patients. I don't know why people fill here. They act like they're able to determine who gets pain meds and who doesn't.
I used to deny scripts from certain doctors because it wasn't for legit medical purposes which makes the prescription invalid. Then this list came out. If WAG gets rid of this checklist I will still deny the illegitimate prescriptions. I laugh when people bring in scripts for the trinity from doctors who write the same rx for every patient. It has and always will be at the discretion of the pharmacist and no supervisor can force you to fill anything you don't feel is for legitimate purpose
Brenner

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Sep 23, 2013
The biggest problem with narcotic abusers is they have several different doctors and aren't honest with each one by telling them what drugs they are on. So they may be getting narcotics from several different doctors from different systems. It's hard to track if the doctors aren't all in the same network because the computer systems are not all merged to tell if they are in Wishard's system and St. V's system, etc. Therefore they are double dipping in narcotics. Although computers within the same system is good at tracking this, the one's outside the system are not.
EXAasm

United States

#27 Sep 23, 2013
It sucks that on occasion, patients with legitimate needs might get the shaft. However, ever since these guidelines came out, I have found out that more often than not, patients with legitimate needs are being taken care of and in fact they understand the situation and respect it.
As for those trying to abuse the system, they're complaining up and down that they're discriminated against, etc. The fact is that if these people had any REAL pain, they wouldn't be spending all their time and gas going from pharmacy to pharmacy, and spending their energy arguing with managers and pharmacists about how unfair the situation is.
Listen up druggies: YOU did this to yourselves, YOU caused this problem for yourselves and legitimate patients, and YOU DRUGGIES need to shut up, get clean and sober, get a job, and most of all, stay the hell out of our pharmacies. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

“The Papers said I was Truant”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#29 Sep 24, 2013
Posting to see how many judgement icons I can get.
Cherry Blossom

United States

#30 Sep 24, 2013
Rah wrote:
It's an injury. You heal from an injury. You don't stay on narcotic pain pills for 10 or 20 years because you suffered an injury. Get for real. And the people who fake diseases that don't have just to get a vicoden. Sickening.<quoted text>
An injury can cause permanent damage you know. Do you think that someone with metal plates in them won't have lasting pain problems? Besides there are many very painful diseases that have nothing to do with injuries. I have psoriatic arthritis and spinal stenosis. If you think these aren't painful and disruptive to normal activities and quality of life then I hope you get them both someday. You'll see. Ignorant jackass!
Cherry Blossom

United States

#31 Sep 24, 2013
able wrote:
My whole life- I've been told just say no to drugs- yet because of the billions of dollars made by drug companies- drugs are now good? Ironic? No- it's pathetic. Most of these prescriptions have numerous side effects that perpetuate the problem and/or further add more problems. The FDA is a joke as well as the drug companies.
Why are you so concerned about the side effects if you don't take them? And who said drugs are good? Drugs are drugs -- neither good nor bad. It all depends on how they are used, just like many other things in life. Besides that, this post is about Walgreen's new dispensing policy and your comment is totally OT.
Gloria

Indianapolis, IN

#32 Sep 26, 2013
I do not take narcotic medicine of any kind but I do have 3 scripts at Walgreens that will be pulled and taken to Walmart to get filled after reading what appears to be so called pharmacist quacks posting on here that works for Walgreens. No way would I trade with you again.
Pharm33

Sanford, FL

#33 Sep 26, 2013
pharmer212 wrote:
I am so sick of having to explain to patients that their script "doesn't meet the Walgreens good faith dispensing guidelines, so it can't be filled at this or any other Walgreens." Then they want to know what is on the list and I have to tell them I'm not allowed to say and it sparks a huge scene. It's much easier to just lie and say we don't have it in stock....
I tell them it's on backorder too. Makes life much easier
newsfl

Everett, WA

#34 Sep 26, 2013
Honestly, I don't think any of you are aware of what the good faith is. Judging by what I am reading none of you are aware that nobody ever sees that a person's script was denied pharmacist wise. Once reported to dea for denial, the script is gone. Most circumstances it should be destroyed. The only records kept on it are ones that make sure we did the right thing. A person taking C2 scripts in one state from a doctor in another is a clear example of someone not getting a proper referral. These are harder to fill scripts but simple phone calls that are clear and direct get the results the patient seeks. Many times I have had people come in days early on oxycontin just to be denied due to early fill...If it is so damned important to have it right then and there, the patient should be counseled and referred to their physician. No explanation is really even required on our behalf about any denial other than, "sorry, we cannot fill this at this time." offering up early status and showing them last pick up and day supply saves headache but if its a bad script...it is the Pharmacist's responsibility to handle it. Everything that happens in the pharmacy is the Pharmacist's responsibility. No matter who fills it, or sells it. Pharmaceutical work is not a gimme situation. It is serious and every thing done is to protect the license to practice and the patient's well being. The sooner people quit finding something good and shitting on it the sooner we can have a good thread about how something is awesome and maybe showing people they need to slow down on meds. Kind of like how a technician is supposed to ask a diabetic patient if they monitor their sugars as they are supposed to if they are late picking up. How they are supposed to ask them were the numbers good? bad? ugly? and refer them to the pharmacist for advice to help curve those numbers.

BE WELL
RSDer

Cookeville, TN

#35 Oct 6, 2013
I have no problem with any of their new policies because I use a wonderful mom and pop pharmacy that actually took the time to read up on my horrific incurable disease. RSD/CRPS is rated higher on the McGill Pain Index/Scale than natural child birth or the amputation of a digit. So yes, I unfortunately will need narcotics for the rest of my life. I hate taking them and would do just about anything for a cure for this nightmare I live in. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take these drugs, they just make me tired and cranky, but not much else touches RSD pain. I hope this new policy they implemented works. I truly hope that the junkies can't get the medicine that people like me actually have a legitimate need for.
RSDer

Cookeville, TN

#36 Oct 6, 2013
EXAasm wrote:
It sucks that on occasion, patients with legitimate needs might get the shaft. However, ever since these guidelines came out, I have found out that more often than not, patients with legitimate needs are being taken care of and in fact they understand the situation and respect it.
As for those trying to abuse the system, they're complaining up and down that they're discriminated against, etc. The fact is that if these people had any REAL pain, they wouldn't be spending all their time and gas going from pharmacy to pharmacy, and spending their energy arguing with managers and pharmacists about how unfair the situation is.
Listen up druggies: YOU did this to yourselves, YOU caused this problem for yourselves and legitimate patients, and YOU DRUGGIES need to shut up, get clean and sober, get a job, and most of all, stay the hell out of our pharmacies. You have no one to blame but yourselves.
Yep! I completely agree. My pharmacy (not Walgreens) makes sure I always get the meds I need every month. But I have seen them turn away junkies on several occasions.
LivingWithPainIs ThePits

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Oct 6, 2013
If I didn't have my meds I would be curled into a horrendous pain filled fetal positioned ball, I thank God for the pain medication that allows me to half way function. There is no cure for my disorder other than the inevitable for us all which is death. I hope this plan gets rid of the drug seeking freaks that just want to get high and that it erases the stigma on legitimate pain patients.

Since: Sep 12

Baliuag, Philippines

#38 Nov 12, 2013
I hope all medical practitioners will always consider the good thing for their patients. The condition of patients varies from one to another as well as their pain tolerance is quite different from one another. I hope medical practitioners should be very cautious in giving pain meds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rush Limbaugh dropped from wibc Indianapolis radio 16 hr Pontificating 9
Dali Lama says Mike Pence is the AntiChrist! Fri Esta 6
News Celadon faces class action lawsuit (Oct '10) Thu flashback 2
Bill Oesterle for Governor of Indiana Thu The Great Kaptoz 2
Dense Pence; the slow governor of Indiana Thu Fed up Hoosier 3
Randy Brown Complete Hydraulics car lift (Aug '11) Mar 25 dick fitznbottom 135
News When The KKK Was Mainstream Mar 20 Savant 11
More from around the web

Franklin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE