Water Hurdle May Come From Atlanta

Full story: WXIA Atlanta 15
The biggest hurdle standing between Georgia and its pursuit of a long-term water management plan might not be the lingering legal fight with Alabama and Florida or the uncertainty about federal intentions. Read more
True Style

Marietta, GA

#1 Dec 10, 2007
Atlanta needs to stand up to the rest of the state and tell them that without Atlanta there would be no Georgia. The rest of the state should be grateful that metro Atlanta has been growing and providing jobs. Without Atlanta this would be another Alabama. Our city leaders need to a grow a spine and tell the hicks to get out of the way of progress.
Jack

Minot, ND

#2 Dec 10, 2007
The long-term solution is to build a pipe from Chattanooga to Atlanta for use in peak times. There is plenty of water there for Atlanta, and most of Georgia.
Stupid is No Excuse

Cumming, GA

#3 Dec 10, 2007
Why should I deprive myself of my basic needs for water and Atlanta be so wasteful of the water they get?
dusty

Scottsbluff, NE

#4 Dec 10, 2007
so it is ok for a city to just take things from rural areas b/c they are a city? what about the people who live in rural areas in the state? are they supposed to just sit back and let their livelihoods just disappear b/c someone in atlanta wants a green yard? so someone working in an office is better than someone who provides the food that you eat?

atlanta and the metro area has been negligent in planning for their growth for a LONG time. they see vacant land and begin salivating when thinking of ways to fill the space. all they see are dollar signs. they have given little thought to how to actually plan for their growth. their lack of planning has resulted in this problem.

ask the city officials about how much waste gets sent down the chattahoochee. their response is generally "oops. we'll try not to let our poop slip downstream again".

they need to make some hard decisions about how they use water, use it more wisely and be a better neighbor.
True Style wrote:
Atlanta needs to stand up to the rest of the state and tell them that without Atlanta there would be no Georgia. The rest of the state should be grateful that metro Atlanta has been growing and providing jobs. Without Atlanta this would be another Alabama. Our city leaders need to a grow a spine and tell the hicks to get out of the way of progress.
Matt

Glennville, GA

#6 Dec 10, 2007
Short term decisions are needed now. Drinking water tankers should be ready to move into place.
Todd

Suwanee, GA

#7 Dec 10, 2007
Metro Atlanta needs to stop issuing building permits until this is settled once and for all.
Agnostic

Acworth, GA

#8 Dec 10, 2007
The North Georgia water shed is one of the smallest in the nation in terms of how many people and other resources it supports. There has been many mistakes in how the water has been used. As an example take the one house in Cobb Country using 440,000 gallons per month for one occupant. I am for smart growth. Only native drought tolerant landscaping should be installed. More reservoirs need to be built throughout the Southeast to support the growth of the last 30 years.
Jack

Minot, ND

#9 Dec 10, 2007
Stopping the issue of building permits is asking for economic disaster. Water will come, always has. In the mean time, yes, a long term solution needs to be found. The Tennessee river is a great resource, though with the risk of Tennessee becoming the "OPEC" of water. The distance between Atlanta and Chattanooga is closing more and more every day. Anyone else old enough to remember when I-285 pretty much went around all that was "Atlanta?"
Atlanta Resident

Atlanta, GA

#10 Dec 10, 2007
We're all guilty of taking our natural resources for granted. We need to really start doing what we can to conserve, and teach the next generation to do so.
Becky

Nassau, Bahamas

#11 Dec 10, 2007
DESALINATION.

What is the cost of taping into the Pacific Ocean?

How expensive would that be to lay pipes to alleviate times of drought. Georgia state has enough coast line and won't have to bother other states for access to the sea.

How feasible is this idea? Right now everything is worth looking into, if only to be able to rule it out properly and with adequate information on the proposition.
Atlantaguy

Stockbridge, GA

#12 Dec 10, 2007
In terms of Atlanta, perhaps the rest of Georgia should be made aware that most of their jobs would be in old gas stations and country stores if the economic engine and overflow from the city did not have such a huge impact on the whole state. It's easy to knock someone but take the cash cow that overflows into the rest of the state away and see what would happen. Tourists don't come here to visit Tifton.

We need a Governor who isn't so backward and biased as well. Something should have been done LONG ago about adding additional water storage lakes north of the city, but he was too busy worrying about getting re-elected and legalizing fireworks - you know, the "real important stuff". Get someone in office who will do something about it, and stop worrying about what Billy Joe Bob in Tifton thinks about it.

“stay on the porch”

Since: Oct 07

Southeast

#13 Dec 10, 2007
it is ashame that the ones who know it all are not in government, but, stating stupid statements on this post........i love you guys.....got water!

“stay on the porch”

Since: Oct 07

Southeast

#14 Dec 10, 2007
Atlantaguy wrote:
In terms of Atlanta, perhaps the rest of Georgia should be made aware that most of their jobs would be in old gas stations and country stores if the economic engine and overflow from the city did not have such a huge impact on the whole state. It's easy to knock someone but take the cash cow that overflows into the rest of the state away and see what would happen. Tourists don't come here to visit Tifton.
We need a Governor who isn't so backward and biased as well. Something should have been done LONG ago about adding additional water storage lakes north of the city, but he was too busy worrying about getting re-elected and legalizing fireworks - you know, the "real important stuff". Get someone in office who will do something about it, and stop worrying about what Billy Joe Bob in Tifton thinks about it.
billy joe bob is probably in the fields waiting for water to feed your rightous rear end. of course you can get your food from china...

Since: Aug 07

Stone Mountain, GA

#15 Dec 10, 2007
I can not figure out why there is such resentment towards the Atlanta Metro area. Someone wrote earlier that volume does not equal waste and they are dead on. Of the 8 million people in Georgia 5 million live right here, that is more than 60% of the State's population. I am not denying the importance of the farmers, or the people that live in the rural areas, however they seem to deny the economic importance of the Metro. Even if you narrowed it down to Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton you would have nearly 3 million people; almost half the state's population.

Fine, if we are such a drain on you, then let's break away with all our tax revenue and all our jobs and the airport and Lake Lanier and form the 51st state. Do you know what that would leave the rest of the state with? A Kia plant and AFLAC! Good luck!
dennypooh

United States

#16 Dec 12, 2007
Agnostic wrote:
The North Georgia water shed is one of the smallest in the nation in terms of how many people and other resources it supports. There has been many mistakes in how the water has been used. As an example take the one house in Cobb Country using 440,000 gallons per month for one occupant. I am for smart growth. Only native drought tolerant landscaping should be installed. More reservoirs need to be built throughout the Southeast to support the growth of the last 30 years.
You may want to check this house and make sure no illegal substance is being grown on the property ! 400,000 gallons water usage a month is ridicules.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SummerGrove is no longer a jewel but a "COW PATTY" (Sep '11) 3 hr ima lawyer 1,816
my kids from illinois Tue Ur bad 2
dog's in summergrove (Feb '12) Mar 28 redwinestan 25
Madonna breezes in and breezes out of Newnan Un... Mar 26 Madge and James 2
Review: Boost Promotional Group Inc Mar 25 Upset customer 1
Michael Mensah Mar 20 Hiring Manager 1
News Man receives 45-year sentence in 2012 armed rob... (Apr '14) Mar 19 white chocolate 3
Franklin Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Franklin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]