Band Director Should be Fired?
Really

Ironton, OH

#21 Mar 4, 2013
Trying to come off all soft now?? But still saying the same thing.....Fry him!
why

Vienna, WV

#22 Mar 4, 2013
Concerned wrote:
Yes he is a good guy and has done a lot for the school and the band, but the parents of these boys thought they were in Huntington at an honors band function. That is what they gave permission for, not for a drive with the band director. What was thought to be innocent was a very poor decision and not well thought through. A simple phone call or text to the boys parents for permission would have been all that was needed.
Innocent intentions or not, permission was not obtained.
As for the rest of the story, pictures should not have been taken, should not have been passed around and absolutely not have been texted from the teachers phone to a female student. This could be, and probably will be interpreted as Sexting.
Very unfortunate situation, but an example that we have to as teachers, mentors, coaches see that even the best and most innocent intentions can have horrific out come if our actions are not thought through.
Or better yet as a parent, stop making mountains out of mole hills because you don't like the man. I know who the mother is that is throwing such a fuss about all this. And all I can say is she and her family have more skeletons in their closet then I would ever wanna deal with.
Really

Ironton, OH

#23 Mar 4, 2013
Good job WHY!! This could not be more true....maybe they think they have more pull around here than they really do.....
Parent

Lyndora, PA

#24 Mar 4, 2013
I don't know anything about this. But I think they do need to find another band teacher.
I have a 6th grade student who signed up at the beginning of the year for 6thgrade band. He only comes to get the one class for band. Doesn't do anything with the other class. Since when does he decide who he teaches? Both classes have kids who are wanting to learn. So I purchased an instrument for nothing, because the teacher has no interest in teaching these kids.
Band booster

Presto, PA

#25 Mar 4, 2013
I have personally known the band director for many years. He is an outstanding young man and is very upset over what has transpired over the last week. He loved his job so much, that he just purchased a house in the district. He spends many hours after school with his students working to make them the best musicians they can be and to give them many opportunities they may not have had without his work. He gives 110% to his job and his school district. However, this is only his second year of teaching, and when standing up to a parent over a rule in his band handbook, he ends up with his world turned upside down. Sure, he probably should not have left students with other adults while he went after his new house keys, but it was done, and unfortuately cant be undone. He should have told the two students NO when they asked to ride along, but he didnt. He had no idea what the former owners and left out as a prank, or he would not have allowed students to see it. But now, because of a parent wanting to dig up stuff on him, because they didnt want their student to have to follow the handbook rules that all other band students have to follow, this band director is going through something no young teacher should ever have to go through in their career. Is there anyone posting on this forum that has not made a mistake in their life. A spur of the moment decision that you later regret? Why should Mr. Phillips have to give up his job and the career he loves over one small mistake in judgement. Shouldn't he be given another chance. Should someone's life be ruined over one lack of judgement on one evening. Please end this witch hunt. Let him get back to the job he loves, and take your kids to places they have not been and help them become great musicians!
If you have a student in band at Green and you want to keep this energetic young man as your director, get out and support him! If not, you soon will be looking again for someone to come and fill the position, and good directors are hard to find!
why wrote:
<quoted text>
Or better yet as a parent, stop making mountains out of mole hills because you don't like the man. I know who the mother is that is throwing such a fuss about all this. And all I can say is she and her family have more skeletons in their closet then I would ever wanna deal with.
yep

Chesapeake, OH

#26 Mar 5, 2013
Band booster wrote:
<quoted text>I have personally known the band director for many years. He is an outstanding young man and is very upset over what has transpired over the last week. He loved his job so much, that he just purchased a house in the district. He spends many hours after school with his students working to make them the best musicians they can be and to give them many opportunities they may not have had without his work. He gives 110% to his job and his school district. However, this is only his second year of teaching, and when standing up to a parent over a rule in his band handbook, he ends up with his world turned upside down. Sure, he probably should not have left students with other adults while he went after his new house keys, but it was done, and unfortuately cant be undone. He should have told the two students NO when they asked to ride along, but he didnt. He had no idea what the former owners and left out as a prank, or he would not have allowed students to see it. But now, because of a parent wanting to dig up stuff on him, because they didnt want their student to have to follow the handbook rules that all other band students have to follow, this band director is going through something no young teacher should ever have to go through in their career. Is there anyone posting on this forum that has not made a mistake in their life. A spur of the moment decision that you later regret? Why should Mr. Phillips have to give up his job and the career he loves over one small mistake in judgement. Shouldn't he be given another chance. Should someone's life be ruined over one lack of judgement on one evening. Please end this witch hunt. Let him get back to the job he loves, and take your kids to places they have not been and help them become great musicians!
If you have a student in band at Green and you want to keep this energetic young man as your director, get out and support him! If not, you soon will be looking again for someone to come and fill the position, and good directors are hard to find!
I agree 100%
Parent

Lyndora, PA

#27 Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, what about the children in the grade school? Do you think those he is not willing to teach, are going to want to go on to band in jr high and high school. I highly doubt they will be interested now. Very sad, that he can pick and choose who to teach.
why

Chesapeake, OH

#29 Mar 5, 2013
Band booster wrote:
<quoted text>I have personally known the band director for many years. He is an outstanding young man and is very upset over what has transpired over the last week. He loved his job so much, that he just purchased a house in the district. He spends many hours after school with his students working to make them the best musicians they can be and to give them many opportunities they may not have had without his work. He gives 110% to his job and his school district. However, this is only his second year of teaching, and when standing up to a parent over a rule in his band handbook, he ends up with his world turned upside down. Sure, he probably should not have left students with other adults while he went after his new house keys, but it was done, and unfortuately cant be undone. He should have told the two students NO when they asked to ride along, but he didnt. He had no idea what the former owners and left out as a prank, or he would not have allowed students to see it. But now, because of a parent wanting to dig up stuff on him, because they didnt want their student to have to follow the handbook rules that all other band students have to follow, this band director is going through something no young teacher should ever have to go through in their career. Is there anyone posting on this forum that has not made a mistake in their life. A spur of the moment decision that you later regret? Why should Mr. Phillips have to give up his job and the career he loves over one small mistake in judgement. Shouldn't he be given another chance. Should someone's life be ruined over one lack of judgement on one evening. Please end this witch hunt. Let him get back to the job he loves, and take your kids to places they have not been and help them become great musicians!
If you have a student in band at Green and you want to keep this energetic young man as your director, get out and support him! If not, you soon will be looking again for someone to come and fill the position, and good directors are hard to find!
I've heard the stories. I know the man both professionally and personally. I think some of the kids need to get their story straight. All I can say is look at the last 6 years at all the band directors that's walked away from Green Schools. This man just purchased a home here and plans to stay a very long time . That's saying a lot for this man. Being a band director is a lot of work. He's for sure not in it for the money. Your running a good man off. Better step back parents and re evaluate your thinking. Think about your kids.
Really

Ironton, OH

#30 Mar 5, 2013
This is a bad thing....once they started this ball rolling just to save a there childs grade its going to be hard to stop or fix the damage these people have caused....
why

Chesapeake, OH

#31 Mar 5, 2013
Really wrote:
This is a bad thing....once they started this ball rolling just to save a there childs grade its going to be hard to stop or fix the damage these people have caused....
I agree. His heart is broke right now. Hope your sons grade was worth it.
Concerned too

Ironton, OH

#32 Mar 5, 2013
Concerned is absolutely right so if you weren't there stop talking.
Concerned too

Ironton, OH

#33 Mar 5, 2013
Band booster needs to get their story straight before posting and "why" is just stupid. No one on here knows the whole story so stop speculating!
Really

Ironton, OH

#34 Mar 5, 2013
So this kids mom was there??
why

Chesapeake, OH

#35 Mar 5, 2013
Concerned too wrote:
Band booster needs to get their story straight before posting and "why" is just stupid. No one on here knows the whole story so stop speculating!
Maybe I was there your low life idiot. Now who's the stupid one.
Really

Ironton, OH

#36 Mar 5, 2013
U were not there.... name calling is so cool. But go for it if it makes u feel better!
Really

Ironton, OH

#38 Mar 5, 2013
I am with u! WHY! Name calling is not cool ...but it is going to happen....hang in there!! And we all know momma was not there.....and what is happing is not good!
crazy

Chesapeake, OH

#39 Mar 5, 2013
I'm sure if this goes to the board or even court the ones on here will be subpoenaed to testify since they were there and know what went on etc.. The addresses people use on here are easily obtainable. I think everyone should drop it. Let the school and band director figure it out cause it's going to be a mess soon.
Really

Ironton, OH

#40 Mar 5, 2013
No there not.....crazy! I still feel bad about what is happing to him.....and u will never change my mind by threats ........sorry....
huh

Greensburg, PA

#41 Mar 5, 2013
Another clueless dweeb!
yournuts

Vienna, WV

#42 Mar 6, 2013
crazy wrote:
I'm sure if this goes to the board or even court the ones on here will be subpoenaed to testify since they were there and know what went on etc.. The addresses people use on here are easily obtainable. I think everyone should drop it. Let the school and band director figure it out cause it's going to be a mess soon.
Already went to the board and not anything on here has used a specific persons name. Do u actually think law enforcement has better things to do then punish people for the truth. Good try! Lmbo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Furnace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greens auto sales on 3rd st.? 5 hr Don 2
6- 6-16 Obama the antiChrist revealed 6 hr for real 41
Varsity Baseball 7 hr huh 5
Rock Hill Skool Board 8 hr Bud light lover 4
Lowe down 8 hr Convicted 2
Child Molester George Lee Cooper (Jun '15) 8 hr Soonapa 24
The fall of America..... 9 hr Oink Jones 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Franklin Furnace Mortgages