New to the area

Ashland, KY

#1 Dec 29, 2011
I just moved here about 4 months ago and someone said this was the french grant area. What is the french grant? Is it a government area or is it like some old history thing? I just wanted to make sure that there was not some new land that was available near the river.
walt

Ironton, OH

#2 Dec 29, 2011
I will give you the correct answer before all the morons put in there 2 cents. The land that borders the Ohio river in Green Township was granted to 101 Frenchmen in 1791. If you look at the property deeds you will see French Grant in most of them. Google French Grant Scioto Ohio for some details about the Grant. The 101 Frenchmen were swindled by the Scioto Company and congress granted this land as compensation. There are many French names in the old tombstones.

Hope this helps.
Own french grant Lot

Jersey City, NJ

#3 Dec 30, 2011
OK, I must be one of the morons. I own land in the French Grant area. My research has told me it was given as pay for military service. Walt, Where can I find the history of which you write?
Walt

Ironton, OH

#4 Dec 30, 2011
I am not calling you a moron, it's the 90% of people who post the trash on this site I was referring to.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Grant
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.co...

I put the date at 1791 in error, it was actually 1795. If you have any interesting pages you've found on the internet please post. Again I was not calling any of the decent people on here a moron!
Own french grant Lot

Jersey City, NJ

#5 Dec 31, 2011
Walt wrote:
I am not calling you a moron, it's the 90% of people who post the trash on this site I was referring to.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Grant
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.co...
I put the date at 1791 in error, it was actually 1795. If you have any interesting pages you've found on the internet please post. Again I was not calling any of the decent people on here a moron!
Great info Walt, thanks for posting. I had researched my land at the Scioto Co. courthouse, but before mid 1800's you have to go to Washington DC for records.
Own french grant Lot

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Jan 1, 2012
Hey Walt, why doesn't someone write a history of FF ? I bet few even know where the Franklin Furnace was located? I heard rt 52 took it . It was near Big Pete?
Brian

Flatwoods, KY

#7 Jan 1, 2012
There are some very interesting cemeteries in the area that reflect a lil bit of the French Grant settlement.
There is one out in the field at the end of Raike lane in Haverhill, its the old Duduit cemetery, the stones actually have some bits of info on them as to being settled as French Grant. Stones date back as Walt said to the 1700's.
There were alot of the cemeteries along the river that was also founded by people who were traveling on Packet boats on the Ohio River and either caught Malaria, Typhoid or other gravely illnesses, they would put them off as to segragate them to not make the other people sick on the boat.

Being this ground as French Grant, there are and still today are discrepancies in property surveys, its one of a few places that require careful survey.

Franklin Furnace was actually centered as you think, behind the lil white church on the Dam end of Big Pete. There was a Charcoal furnace there that was built by a man named Franklin, and actually Big Pete at the time was known as Chandlers Run. There is a large white 2 story house (very old) that is i think about 4 houses past the church on Big Pete that once housed men and their families that came to learn to run the furnace. Samual Gould owned it in the day, he is buried near the Green Dam exit in the lil cemetery on the side of the road. Mr. Gould actually lost it one night in a Poker game. That actual house played a large part in the Under Ground Slavery movement. Slaves were stashed away there til night, Mr Gould would head torward south point then travel north with them, Mrs Gould headed due north from the house, to split the groups up to avoid capture. The house has a secrete room in the basement part, which is only accessed by crawling under the front porch. I know of a lil more but dont wanna bore ya to much right off, so hope it helped a little.
Own french grant Lot

Jersey City, NJ

#8 Jan 2, 2012
Great history Brian. I remember the big house, was in it once in the early 70's. One of the sites Walt listed mentions a man with the nickname "Big Pete". Bet that was where the road name change came from?
Are there any of the large stones from the furnace left? There are still some at Oh Fce, behind Pierce's house.
Bill j

Baird, TX

#9 Jan 24, 2013
Liked your post Brian, very informative, I'm doing research on the old Green Township School at Franklin Furnace for a documentary i'm working on. Ran across your post while searching for history of the township and "The French Grant". I'll have to check back here from time to time, lots of good info here...
Brian wrote:
There are some very interesting cemeteries in the area that reflect a lil bit of the French Grant settlement.
There is one out in the field at the end of Raike lane in Haverhill, its the old Duduit cemetery, the stones actually have some bits of info on them as to being settled as French Grant. Stones date back as Walt said to the 1700's.
There were alot of the cemeteries along the river that was also founded by people who were traveling on Packet boats on the Ohio River and either caught Malaria, Typhoid or other gravely illnesses, they would put them off as to segragate them to not make the other people sick on the boat.
Being this ground as French Grant, there are and still today are discrepancies in property surveys, its one of a few places that require careful survey.
Franklin Furnace was actually centered as you think, behind the lil white church on the Dam end of Big Pete. There was a Charcoal furnace there that was built by a man named Franklin, and actually Big Pete at the time was known as Chandlers Run. There is a large white 2 story house (very old) that is i think about 4 houses past the church on Big Pete that once housed men and their families that came to learn to run the furnace. Samual Gould owned it in the day, he is buried near the Green Dam exit in the lil cemetery on the side of the road. Mr. Gould actually lost it one night in a Poker game. That actual house played a large part in the Under Ground Slavery movement. Slaves were stashed away there til night, Mr Gould would head torward south point then travel north with them, Mrs Gould headed due north from the house, to split the groups up to avoid capture. The house has a secrete room in the basement part, which is only accessed by crawling under the front porch. I know of a lil more but dont wanna bore ya to much right off, so hope it helped a little.
Big Bb

Marion, OH

#10 Feb 13, 2013
There is a book in the Portsmouth public Library about the history of the area and Franklin Furnace. The furnace stones were hauled away to help construct the locks on the Portsmouth end of the Erie Canal. Others were used as the foundation for the Old Green local school.
HistoryBuff

Chesapeake, OH

#11 Mar 10, 2013
Anyone know what year Old 52 was paved? 30's maybe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin Furnace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can we please move passed religion? 1 hr Simple Question 253
Bob McCollister County Commisner 4 hr Joey 12
Bragging 6 hr sickofbs 1
Know where I can find Mitch Wurts? (May '16) 13 hr Classmate 18
Ironton Football 14 hr Mel 8
Anita Gaspers Bruce Mollett (Mar '17) Nov 21 Tim 12
Bob McCollister County Commisioner Nov 19 Ironton Boy 1

Franklin Furnace Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance