First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Momma Bear

Geneva, IL

#21 Oct 19, 2012
elv mom wrote:
my kids have been going there since they were 3 yrs old. they have made a big difference in my kids life. ya both of my kids had speech problems, not now. all that matters is that how your child feels bout the school, teachers, staff, etc. if i didnt think they were doing a great job, they wouldnt be there at all. i have never ever have had any concerns with my children. i am very involved with the school, i volunteer n donate every year. i take outta my own pocket n give back b/c thats just what kind of person i am. i donated bikes for preschool, toys, supplies, learning things they needed, even went as the turtle woman to educate the kids bout animals. i think its a great environment.
I don't think anyone is doubting the integrity of ELV's atmosphere. No one said its not a perfectly fine school. The issue is that it is redundant and unnecessary, and it's a financial drain on a district that's already overextended in the money department. Who is to say your children would not have had just as good of an outcome had they been in one of the elementary schools for PreK and K? Students on the west side, which has no ELV continue to surpass east side students every year on state testing.
Early Childhood

Frankfort, KY

#23 Oct 19, 2012
Since when do we not count preschool as a grade/class?! Those that have that mindset don't know what goes on day to day in a preschool setting. It isn't daycare! Early Childhood education is a predictor of educational success. You think 3 grades is a waste of space and money?? ACPS spent money on a brand new ECC building in Lburg for grades Pre-K and K. I agree that if you have it on the East Side then the West must as well, another thing that differentiates this town.
momma

United States

#24 Oct 20, 2012
The problem really is that public preschool in this county is only available to those who are behind or, once they are four, for those who financially can't afford to go to a private school. In many ways, it is still a daycare. They are primarily trying to play catch-up with the kids while those in private school learn their ABCs, numbers, counting, colors, simple math, and beginners reading.

ELV type schools are the current educators fad. In reality, it will not work if you don't improve the curriculum. Just because it's big and there are no big kids doesn't mean they are guaranteed success. Whether you have ten kids at your school or 100, the outcome should be the same. Yet it seems the ones with the fewer kids do better.

In fact, it's already starting to be a dinosaur concept as educators start to embrace individual learning plans. Looks like the west side is starting to embrace that kind of concept.

Still, whether you believe in the ELV concept or not. Current fact is, the place is too small for the number of students they are supposed to educate there. Which kid can learn in such a cramped environment?
angela

Frankfort, KY

#25 Oct 20, 2012
ITK wrote:
The way things are today, preschool needs to be available to every child. Not just the ones that are on state assistance or whose parents can afford to send them to a private one.
I totally agree with you. I am tired of the powers that be wasting my tax money and yours. I cannot get my daughter in pre-school because we are not poor enough and she has no developmental issues. This same thing happened with my son. He was totally lost in kindergarten. I spent hours every night trying to get him to the place he needed to be and his teacher was mediocore at best. She was not a Kindergarten teacher but a third grade teacher. She was not patient at all and the kids were scared of her my son included. He does not deal well with change and still does not. Changing schools after finally being comfortable was yet another challenge. Now I will be faced with the same situation with my daughter although I am much more prepared this time around. I am scared to death she will be behind before she even starts all because she wasn't poor enough or had some kind of imparement.The pre-school system we have in place is nothing but discrimination at it's finest. Many teachers say that the kids that don't get into pre-school end up behind because they are not ready for the kindergarten setting or curicuilium. I say put the kids back in their own disticts and funnell the money you saved back into pre-school programs so all children in Frankfort can excell.
well

Whitewater, WI

#26 Oct 21, 2012
angela wrote:
<quoted text>I totally agree with you. I am tired of the powers that be wasting my tax money and yours. I cannot get my daughter in pre-school because we are not poor enough and she has no developmental issues. This same thing happened with my son. He was totally lost in kindergarten. I spent hours every night trying to get him to the place he needed to be and his teacher was mediocore at best. She was not a Kindergarten teacher but a third grade teacher. She was not patient at all and the kids were scared of her my son included. He does not deal well with change and still does not. Changing schools after finally being comfortable was yet another challenge. Now I will be faced with the same situation with my daughter although I am much more prepared this time around. I am scared to death she will be behind before she even starts all because she wasn't poor enough or had some kind of imparement.The pre-school system we have in place is nothing but discrimination at it's finest. Many teachers say that the kids that don't get into pre-school end up behind because they are not ready for the kindergarten setting or curicuilium. I say put the kids back in their own disticts and funnell the money you saved back into pre-school programs so all children in Frankfort can excell.
If your child does not qualify for preschool it doesn't mean they can't still go. They take the kids that need it first and then if there are openings u can still put your child in, you will just have to pay for it. You will need to let the board of education know you want to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jack b nimble Jack b quik ur woman blowin up th... 3 min Oldman 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min who cares 148,931
Anyone Else Feel "Embarrased" After Reading an ... 1 hr Oldman 11
Moter cycle wreck 127 2 hr I know 25
Thieves on Mount Zion Road 2 hr Oldman 20
Comments on State Journal 2 hr Oldman 80
Leawood apts 2 hr Oldman 44
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages