First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sarcastic

Shelbyville, KY

#1 Oct 16, 2012
The Village needs to continue in our county no matter what we need to do! My daughter went there for two years and it was by Far the best experience she has had so far! Sad that Owens retired...huge loss!
Moi

United States

#2 Oct 17, 2012
I disagree. My son goes there and it seems like a waste of money to fund a school that has 3 grades (if you count preschool). It makes is harder for the kids to transition to another school at that age. I agree that it is a huge loss that Mr. Owens retired and I like the teachers out there but it seems unnecessary to have a school with so few grades when the kids could be spread out at all 3 other elementary schools and more funding could go to those schools.
parent

Willowbrook, IL

#3 Oct 17, 2012
I agree with moi. I have loved ELV but it is a huge waste of money. It's too crowded, and my child's teacher said next year they may move first grade to the other schools. That does help with the overcrowding but then what in the world is the point of having a school with one grade in it? Plus it's not first or second grade that kids aren't ready for, according to the data. It's kindergarten so they need to focus on putting more money into their preschool services. Take all the money you are wasting by having this pointless school and put it into your preschool programs to help get kids ready for Kindergarten.
ITK

Frankfort, KY

#4 Oct 17, 2012
The way things are today, preschool needs to be available to every child. Not just the ones that are on state assistance or whose parents can afford to send them to a private one.
moi

United States

#5 Oct 17, 2012
ITK wrote:
The way things are today, preschool needs to be available to every child. Not just the ones that are on state assistance or whose parents can afford to send them to a private one.
I completely agree!
parent

Willowbrook, IL

#6 Oct 17, 2012
ITK wrote:
Exactly. The money being wasted on having ELV as a PreK, K and 1 school could be better utilized to fund more children in preschool
cece

Frankfort, KY

#7 Oct 17, 2012
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. The money being wasted on having ELV as a PreK, K and 1 school could be better utilized to fund more children in preschool
agreed
KSH

Frankfort, KY

#8 Oct 17, 2012
Preschool isn't just for children on state assistance or those who's.parents cannot afford private preschool. It is also available to those with delays, being either speech, occupational, social, etc.

I do agree that it should be for ALL children though. But, closing ELV isn't the answer.
whatev

United States

#9 Oct 17, 2012
ELV isn't the right solution. They should convert back to having everything at the home elementary school. Then the teachers know the kids. Those who need extra help are used to the teachers that are at the school and those who are ahead can take advantage of higher level material from higher grade levels.

It's traumatic enough for them to start Kindergarten. Then they have to change again to go into second grade.

ELV never was the right answer to begin with. It's about time they close it.
Momma Bear

Willowbrook, IL

#10 Oct 17, 2012
whatev wrote:
ELV isn't the right solution. They should convert back to having everything at the home elementary school. Then the teachers know the kids. Those who need extra help are used to the teachers that are at the school and those who are ahead can take advantage of higher level material from higher grade levels.

It's traumatic enough for them to start Kindergarten. Then they have to change again to go into second grade.

ELV never was the right answer to begin with. It's about time they close it.
Totally agree. After 4 full years of the village being open, east side schools are still miles and miles behind the west side schools, which doesn't have an early learning village. The ELV is doing nothing but draining the district finances. It's not helping our children become any more literate than they were when there were just 3 elementary schools on the east side. They are no more prepared than they were 5 years ago.
I read that the new superintendent is forming a committee to determine the fate of ELV. I sincerely hope she recruits knowledgeable folks who can look at the situation objectively to determine what's best.
mom

United States

#11 Oct 17, 2012
ELV is just a giant playground.
Pwb

Frankfort, KY

#12 Oct 17, 2012
ELV is just a giant playground?? Really? Evidently you don't spend much time in that building with the kids or the teachers if that's what you think. Recess is 20-25 minutes for all 600+ students. ELV is not a waste of money or energy. It is a building full of students that learn and adults who willingly teach them and take a personal interest in each and everyone of them. I hate to think of the Village closing its doors because those kids are unlikely to have the same nurturing, non bullying environment any where else. It's sad that the Village lost both Mr Owens and Mr Parker and honestly, I'm not sure it'll be the same without them, but with Miss Ann and the rest of the ELV staff it has a chance.
Sarcastic

Frankfort, KY

#13 Oct 17, 2012
Pwb wrote:
ELV is just a giant playground?? Really? Evidently you don't spend much time in that building with the kids or the teachers if that's what you think. Recess is 20-25 minutes for all 600+ students. ELV is not a waste of money or energy. It is a building full of students that learn and adults who willingly teach them and take a personal interest in each and everyone of them. I hate to think of the Village closing its doors because those kids are unlikely to have the same nurturing, non bullying environment any where else. It's sad that the Village lost both Mr Owens and Mr Parker and honestly, I'm not sure it'll be the same without them, but with Miss Ann and the rest of the ELV staff it has a chance.
I agree that the loss of Owens and Parker are huge...don't understand why they let Parker get away! You lost me with Miss Ann....
mother

Frankfort, KY

#14 Oct 17, 2012
I have enjoyed my children going to a school where the older children can not bully the little ones. My children feel safe there. I love dropping my little ones off at a school that is tailored towards them. I do feel like it is getting over crowded. If they take away ELV will they need to build a new school or will they be able to spread the children out??
Momma Bear

Willowbrook, IL

#15 Oct 17, 2012
They will easily be able to spread them out. The 3 east side elementary schools are all sitting at only around 50-55% capacity while the village is so crowded they are using makeshift classrooms. If doesn't make sense now- it never did. I realize emotes of ELV are upset at the prospect of it closing but if this new superintendent is going to get the district back on track that's the obvious, logical choice concerning the matter
lol

United States

#16 Oct 17, 2012
Bullying is your main concern? How many of the little ones get bullied by the older ones? I only heard of it on the bus, which would be the same problem at ELV since they go to the home school and then home on the bus with the rest of the big kids.

The teachers may take an interest in the students but they are not at the level they should be. How many kids get the help they actually need be it intervention or advanced? A friend of mine has a first grader at a west side school. He is advanced in math and goes to second grade for that. He would never have that chance at ELV.
mother

Frankfort, KY

#17 Oct 17, 2012
lol wrote:
Bullying is your main concern? How many of the little ones get bullied by the older ones? I only heard of it on the bus, which would be the same problem at ELV since they go to the home school and then home on the bus with the rest of the big kids.

The teachers may take an interest in the students but they are not at the level they should be. How many kids get the help they actually need be it intervention or advanced? A friend of mine has a first grader at a west side school. He is advanced in math and goes to second grade for that. He would never have that chance at ELV.
Sweetheart. Your opinion is your opinion. Does not make it right. I never said bullying was my first concern. Your just looking for a fight.... Anyway, my son went to ELV and is in the GT program. I really don't know why you got all smarty pants with me.... I was just saying my opinion. Seems like to me you get off trying to start something with people. Sounds like bullying to me. Wonder were the kids learn it from??
mother

Frankfort, KY

#18 Oct 17, 2012
Momma Bear wrote:
They will easily be able to spread them out. The 3 east side elementary schools are all sitting at only around 50-55% capacity while the village is so crowded they are using makeshift classrooms. If doesn't make sense now- it never did. I realize emotes of ELV are upset at the prospect of it closing but if this new superintendent is going to get the district back on track that's the obvious, logical choice concerning the matter
Thanks, that does make since.
aqua man

United States

#19 Oct 18, 2012
mother is a bully, mother is a bully, mother is a bully

and then worried her little one gets bullied

looks like the GT kids on the west sides get more opportunities early on and mother can't take it and has to bully because she loved ELV for the non bully safe environment

mother is a bully, mother is a bully
elv mom

Frankfort, KY

#20 Oct 19, 2012
my kids have been going there since they were 3 yrs old. they have made a big difference in my kids life. ya both of my kids had speech problems, not now. all that matters is that how your child feels bout the school, teachers, staff, etc. if i didnt think they were doing a great job, they wouldnt be there at all. i have never ever have had any concerns with my children. i am very involved with the school, i volunteer n donate every year. i take outta my own pocket n give back b/c thats just what kind of person i am. i donated bikes for preschool, toys, supplies, learning things they needed, even went as the turtle woman to educate the kids bout animals. i think its a great environment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 21 min DONALD J TRAMP 165,502
Chester Bennington 3 hr dave 1
David Peffer 4 hr dave 15
text a tip line (Apr '14) 6 hr Hello 18
Who robbed juan 6 hr Hello 12
Bill may 6 hr Honest resident 1
Bishop Green (Aug '14) 6 hr Earned My Doctorate 12

Frankfort Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages