Tips and Gratuities
Hmmm

Frankfort, KY

#21 Nov 2, 2009
@ Tim

It sounds like you are living way beyond your means. Those 9 years of college surely taught you basic math. Perhaps you should budget your money properly instead of expecting the employees in the service industry make up the difference for you. That's pretty sad, Man, pretty sad. You obviously cannot afford the lifestyle that you are trying to maintain.
friend

Frankfort, KY

#22 Nov 2, 2009
i dont think hair stylist should get a tip you are there to cut hair not wait on tables.
PizzaGirl

Finchville, KY

#23 Nov 2, 2009
Come On wrote:
Well, Tim, looks like they just can't teach class and good manners in college. Restaurants don't decide the minimum wage, the government does. How is it that you got all the way through college and didn't learn about tipping or have to work in a restaurant. Are you a trust fund baby? Mommy and Daddy pay your way through life? Not all of us are that lucky, Buddy!
If tipping is too big an expense for you then you might just consider staying at home. I'm sure the servers in the restaurants you frequent would really appreciate it. Those people may not have your education, but they are out there working instead of sitting on their butts drawing a check. They deserve your respect and it is plainly disrespectful to expect them to serve your ignorant self for $2.13 an hour. Let me repeat,$2.13 an hour!! Obviously you have never had to work for that paltry a sum or you would be out there tipping!
Perhaps you should just learn to cook and save yourself the trouble. As someone stated above, there is no telling what you've been eating from those servers who recognize you as the jerk who stiffed them the other day! LOL!
AMEN!!!
uh yes

Frankfort, KY

#24 Nov 2, 2009
um i am a hairstylist i paid 15,000 for my education in cosmotology, and i only make $9 an hour, and i have to supply all my own equipment including shears, blowdryer, combs, clippers, clipper guards, ect, oh and i also have to have insurance takin out of my check each week, oh and i also have to pay to attend a continuing education class each year to maintain my licence, and then i also have to pay state board each year to supply me with an updated cosmotology license. So you do the math.$9 an hour and i work roughly 30-32 hours a week (b/c thats all the corp. i work for will allow me to work, then minus the $51. a week for my insurance whats that equal out too..... wowee $230.00 oh and then take my taxes out that leaves me with a whooping what $185.
So "friend" what bills could you pay with $185 a week? I have 2 children too lets keep that in mind.
You are obviously oblivious.
uh yes

Frankfort, KY

#25 Nov 2, 2009
I actually went to school to better myself and i only make $9 an hour, i cant afford to boothrent because thats a minimal of $100.00 a week, and then i have to get an independant contracters license, and then i also have to maintain liability insurance on my self, for the safty of me and my customers. I cant work only for commision b/c what if i have a slow week and only bring $50 home???? I and several other cosmotologist and barbers depend on tips, you have no idea what we go thro and how long we go to school, to do what we do, the state of KY has to attend cosmotolgy school for 1800 hours then pay to take your state board exmam then you have to hold an apprenticship for 6 months, then pay to go back to boards and get your masters, then classes each year for as long as your a stylist, and yes your have to pay for those classes. I really do not like ppl like you, that thinks I dont deserve a tip. Now on the other hand I believe tips should be based solely on great service.
PizzaGirl

Finchville, KY

#26 Nov 2, 2009
Let me try to clarify a certain misconception:
That 'delivery charge' that is itemized on your receipt (pizza delivery) is NOT considered a tip! You are charged approximately $2,depending on the company,for delivery, of which the driver receives 55%-65% to offset expenses for fuel, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc. These are all overhead expenses that the DRIVER, not the company, must bear!
I am in no way advocating for gratuities for lousy service,but at the same time, when,for example, I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere at 2:00 am,in driving rain, soaked to the bone,with your delivery on or before the 'promised' time,and you count out EXACT CHANGE to pay me,THAT HURTS!!!!!
momma

Frankfort, KY

#27 Nov 2, 2009
tim wrote:
Also, for those of us who eat at least one meal a day, often two, tipping every meal becomes a major expense over a month's time. Additionally, people who say we should tip the car washers, people who cut our hair, buffet drink servers, pizza delivery guys... have you added up every month what you are spending on tips alone? Sure, tip all those people if you go out once or twice a week, but for those of us constantly on the go, that would become a major expense that will cut into other items on our monthly budget. There has to be a limit. There is only so much financial responsibility the company can slough over on the customer.
shame on you dude!
GroundSwell

Finchville, KY

#28 Nov 2, 2009
tim wrote:
Also, for those of us who eat at least one meal a day, often two, tipping every meal becomes a major expense over a month's time. Additionally, people who say we should tip the car washers, people who cut our hair, buffet drink servers, pizza delivery guys... have you added up every month what you are spending on tips alone? Sure, tip all those people if you go out once or twice a week, but for those of us constantly on the go, that would become a major expense that will cut into other items on our monthly budget. There has to be a limit. There is only so much financial responsibility the company can slough over on the customer.
You probably need to invest in some cook books, kitchen utensils, and iff you could a lesson in 'CLASS'!!
PizzaGirl

Finchville, KY

#29 Nov 2, 2009
ariadiscordia wrote:
My husband and I have had a few conversations about this in the past ourselves. I will always, always leave a tip, poor service or not. If the service was especially poor, then I will only leave the minimum tip so hopefully the server will make it a point to improve. If the service was good I'll leave 20%. If the service was above and beyond what I would normally expect of a server, I will definitley let the tip reflect that, and I also sometimes add a small note to say thank you for the exceptional service. Still, ALWAYS leave a tip. Any one who serves you deserves a tip, because they are serving you. This includes not only waiters/waitresses, but also nail techs, hair dressers, the people who wash your car, etc.
Thank you!
Barbero

Finchville, KY

#30 Nov 2, 2009
PizzaGirl wrote:
Let me try to clarify a certain misconception:
That 'delivery charge' that is itemized on your receipt (pizza delivery) is NOT considered a tip! You are charged approximately $2,depending on the company,for delivery, of which the driver receives 55%-65% to offset expenses for fuel, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc. These are all overhead expenses that the DRIVER, not the company, must bear!
I am in no way advocating for gratuities for lousy service,but at the same time, when,for example, I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere at 2:00 am,in driving rain, soaked to the bone,with your delivery on or before the 'promised' time,and you count out EXACT CHANGE to pay me,THAT HURTS!!!!!
Now that's just plain low class.
Barbero

Finchville, KY

#31 Nov 2, 2009
PizzaGirl wrote:
Let me try to clarify a certain misconception:
That 'delivery charge' that is itemized on your receipt (pizza delivery) is NOT considered a tip! You are charged approximately $2,depending on the company,for delivery, of which the driver receives 55%-65% to offset expenses for fuel, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc. These are all overhead expenses that the DRIVER, not the company, must bear!
I am in no way advocating for gratuities for lousy service,but at the same time, when,for example, I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere at 2:00 am,in driving rain, soaked to the bone,with your delivery on or before the 'promised' time,and you count out EXACT CHANGE to pay me,THAT HURTS!!!!!
How could someone treat a hard working person like that?!
Agreed

Orlando, FL

#32 Nov 2, 2009
When dining out, I always leave $2.00 per person unless 20% of the bill is higher. And then, the 20%.

I also tip the nail tech, the hairdresser, etc.

Anybody that doesn't believe in tipping, obviously, never worked in the service industry.
tim

Finchville, KY

#33 Nov 2, 2009
Guys, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, not $2.30 or $2.13. It's the job of the restaurant to pay their employees, not mine. I'll go out to eat and get my hair cut as much as I want, thanks.

I worked in a pizza place in college, but no, I wasn't a delivery or counter person. So nope, never received tips. Nor did I expect them for any job, ever.

They can remember the ones that don't tip--fine by me. I still expect good service, and I expect any decent manager that finds out someone is doing something disgusting to food to fire that person immediately.

And "Come On", no trust fund for me. I grew up poor. My mom was a coal miner for years until she was hurt and cast aside, and she didn't make tips. And she worked a HELL of a lot harder than these waitresses that serve us. So you guys can take your snotty attitudes to O'Charley's and tip all you want.
Well

Frankfort, KY

#34 Nov 2, 2009
Tim:

Let me educate you. Yes, you are correct that minimum wage is $7.25 an hour for laborers. However, wait staff does not fall into that category because the government takes into account the fact that they depend upon tips to make their living. The current minimum wage set by the state of Kentucky for individuals in the service industry is $2.13 an hour.

Could you live on $2.13 an hour? You are probably one of those people who sit around and complain about people abusing the system and then turn around and stiff honest, hardworking people trying to better themselves.

Honestly, Dude, servers don't exactly tell their managers when they exact retribution against the low class people who are so greedy and stupid that they consider themselves above tipping a deserving serviceperson. I guarantee that you've eaten your fair share of spit, boogers, and pubic hairs. Gross! Think about that the next time a server who you have stiffed brings you your meal.

If everyone conducted themselves as poorly as you do then servers would not be able to live. Perhaps you should educate yourself a little bit better before start making claims that you cannot back up. I'll give you a little bit of free education. Follow the link to the Ky labor law website and see for yourself.$2.13 an hour is the minimum wage for tipped employees.

http://www.labor.ky.gov/ows/employmentstandar...

You are one of those low class non-tipping people who should stick to the drive through window. Those employees actually make at least $7.25 an hour and don't depend upon tips to pay their bills and feed their children. Everytime you stiff a server who has kids YOU ARE TAKING MONEY AWAY FROM THEM AND ASKING THEM TO PAY TAXES ON THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF YOUR BILL. THEY HAVE TO PAY INCOME TAXES BASED UPON THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE BILL AND IF YOU DON'T TIP THEM THEY ARE PAYING YOU TO EAT.
friend

Frankfort, KY

#35 Nov 2, 2009
you still dont need tips do mcdonld cashiers get tips you cut hair your not waiting on a table
TIM IS DUMB

Frankfort, KY

#36 Nov 2, 2009
"Tim"
Seriously brush up on your so called 9 year eduacation, i bet you never got a degree because you reak of STUPID! Trust me your non tipping antics will catch up to you, opps i accidently droped your country fried chicken, or opps i thought you said u wanted a 0 fade. LOL your an idiot

“Give back to your community!”

Since: Jul 07

Frankfort, KY

#37 Nov 2, 2009
tim wrote:
Guys, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, not $2.30 or $2.13.
You are one horribly uninformed individual. Labor and services pay scales exist at the opposing outer rims of the income spectrum.

Minimum wage IS NOT applicable to most service industries!
Joshua Owens

Frankfort, KY

#38 Nov 3, 2009
My meal @ Carino's was $30 last week, and I just dropped a $50 on the table and left. I don't recall his name, but he was possibly the best male waiter I have ever had at a restaraunt.

I usually tip based on how much I have. If I have enough I have no problem with leaving a tip for half the cost of the meal or more. You have to pay it forward. You would be surprised what you get in return.

I always thought it was odd I was not able to receive tips when I worked at Lowes or Kroger. If you were caught, you would be promptly fired. I remember many days spending 45 mintutes to an hour loading a huge order for a customer in 95 degree heat.
OhMyGoodness

Frankfort, KY

#39 Nov 3, 2009
I have tipped up to 55% percent before and 0% (but that was only because of how bad the service was), it all depends on the situation, but 15-18% is the norm.
Not so fast

Frankfort, KY

#40 Nov 3, 2009
Well wrote:
Tim:
Let me educate you. Yes, you are correct that minimum wage is $7.25 an hour for laborers. However, wait staff does not fall into that category because the government takes into account the fact that they depend upon tips to make their living. The current minimum wage set by the state of Kentucky for individuals in the service industry is $2.13 an hour.
Could you live on $2.13 an hour? You are probably one of those people who sit around and complain about people abusing the system and then turn around and stiff honest, hardworking people trying to better themselves.
Honestly, Dude, servers don't exactly tell their managers when they exact retribution against the low class people who are so greedy and stupid that they consider themselves above tipping a deserving serviceperson. I guarantee that you've eaten your fair share of spit, boogers, and pubic hairs. Gross! Think about that the next time a server who you have stiffed brings you your meal.
If everyone conducted themselves as poorly as you do then servers would not be able to live. Perhaps you should educate yourself a little bit better before start making claims that you cannot back up. I'll give you a little bit of free education. Follow the link to the Ky labor law website and see for yourself.$2.13 an hour is the minimum wage for tipped employees.
http://www.labor.ky.gov/ows/employmentstandar...
You are one of those low class non-tipping people who should stick to the drive through window. Those employees actually make at least $7.25 an hour and don't depend upon tips to pay their bills and feed their children. Everytime you stiff a server who has kids YOU ARE TAKING MONEY AWAY FROM THEM AND ASKING THEM TO PAY TAXES ON THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF YOUR BILL. THEY HAVE TO PAY INCOME TAXES BASED UPON THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE BILL AND IF YOU DON'T TIP THEM THEY ARE PAYING YOU TO EAT.
I'm not advocating not leaving a tip for good service, but you need to get your facts straight not Tim. You as a service employee must declare your tips to the GOVT and pay taxes on these tips. There is not one service employee that I have ever met that declared their tips in full. It is the responsibility of the employer to to ensure that you make at least minimum wage. And you do not have to pay taxes according to the bill in any way. That's why resturants make employees declare at the end of the night at least enough of their tips to offset the difference between min wage and their hourly wage. With that being said, what happened to the days when a service employee worked for the tip and did not expect one. A service employee should not expect a tip, if you do then you are already giving bad service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where Is Hendershitt? 9 min Roll Call 1
Justin Hendershot 28 min Klohe 17
Patrick Price (Aug '10) 53 min Buddy 7
Richard Kincaide 54 min Mike G 1
Dexter Turner 1 hr Good info 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr usa 152,028
How to survive FrankfortTopix and the internet 1 hr Super chick 7
matt bevin, end corruption! 1 hr END CORRUPTION NOW 50
Matt bevins fold the cards 1 hr END CORRUPTION NOW 391
When will the Western Hills Football team actua... 4 hr Tired of the BS 56

Frankfort Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages