How can you get a felony expunged?

How can you get a felony expunged?

Posted in the Frankfort Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
old felon

Bondy, France

#1 May 17, 2009
I was charged with a class d felony in 1997. convicted in 1998. i haven't been in any more trouble since. i have tried to get it expunged by filling out documents from the governors office. they replied stating there was no scheduled date to look at my application. anyone know how to get it off? there is a new law, that if you get a drug crime and do drug counseling and stuff you can get it expunged. what about those of us who have old felonies who can't get a job with these blemishes on our records?

“Calm down! We'll manage, yes?”

Since: Feb 09

Frankfort, KY

#2 May 17, 2009
I know there was an attempt to introduce a bill that would allow for the expunging of a class D felony (after 10 years) some 15 years ago. I don't think the legislation was passed.

You can petition via an attorney in some states but I am not sure about Kentucky. Your best move is to contact a criminal defense attorney that would provide a free over-the-phone consultation, they are rare but such attorneys do exist.

Frankfort, KY

#3 Jul 8, 2009
You go to the county clerk and pay 25 or 35 dollar, they will set a date for you and the judge will clean it off you record

Frankfort, KY

#4 Jul 10, 2009
Dont do the crime. You wont do the time.......

Shelbyville, KY

#5 Jul 11, 2009
You can get a misdemeanor expunged by filling out form AOC 496.2 which is avaliable at the clerks office, some class D felony drug charges. As far as any other felony, you'll have to have a pardon.

Shelbyville, KY

#6 Jul 11, 2009
Also there is a $100 charge to remove each charge from your record. As far as "DON'T DO THE CRIME. YOU WON'T DO THE TIME", once you do your time, and paid your debt to society, then you should get a second chance, because as it stands, it's a life time sentence on any charge you recieve.

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jul 31, 2009
Shoot, I like your fairness. Well written.

Clarksville, TN

#8 Jul 31, 2009
I agree with shoot, who doesn't make mistakes? And if you have learned from it, then you should have a second chance.
miss demeanor

Lawrenceburg, KY

#9 Jul 31, 2009
Hey Shoot, do you know if it costs the same amount to expunge misdemeanors?
Shoot 270

Shelbyville, KY

#10 Aug 1, 2009
Yes, it costs the same ($100) for a misdemeanor, if you pled guilty or if you were found guilty. You must wait 5 years from your date of conviction or release from probation. If you were charged with a crime and found not guilty, or your charges were dismissed, you can have them removed for free, by filling out form AOC 496.2 to petition court for an expungment.

If you are intending to have charges expunged, you might want to get it done soon, because the state is discussing on raising the fee to $200 per charge.

Frankfort, KY

#11 Aug 3, 2009
shit i got one to and the only way is if the govenor gives you a pardin and he can only do that when he is comin out of office so keep fillin out the papers and keep fillin them out and when they decide to take you serious they will pardin it til then keep your head up and stay safe its hard out here for us but somebody will hear you if you keep openin up your mouth be heard consistantly and they have no choice but to eventually listen i got a college degree and they still dont hear mine but i wont stop till they do and remember everyday above ground is a good day no matter what you goin through

Louisville, KY

#12 Aug 3, 2009
So felon or misdemeanor you must wait 5 yrs from conviction date?

Its nice to see a civilized conversation on this site, minus the one jerk "Dont do the crime. You wont do the time......." There is always someone trying to knock someone down!

Since: Aug 09

Frankfort, KY

#13 Aug 4, 2009
It is 5 years from conviction date or release from prohbation for misdemeanor's.

Iselin, NJ

#14 Sep 17, 2009
i have a possion drug charge for self use and i jus got my home health aide certificate i am worried thatthe state of nj wont give me the lic.. for it cause of my drug charge i got it in 04 but didnt get convicted till 06 and my drug counsler said there is away to do it for free, can i get it done though cause it is a felony

Radcliff, KY

#15 Oct 6, 2010
Can you get wanton endangerment second degree expunged?Its been 10 years since I have been in any trouble considering I was young and dumb at the time.

Radcliff, KY

#16 Oct 6, 2010
Or since the coviction date
Justa Guy

Cynthiana, KY

#17 Oct 6, 2010
You know the weird thing about a criminal record? Even if you're accused and aquitted of a crime (4th degree assault in my case) it STILL shows up on your BG Check. I was in a bad relationship several years ago and every time me and my ex got into an argument she would call the police on me. Every single time they answered a call and came to the's on my record if you do a background check on me. I was arrested and went to court and then aquitted as stated earlier and it's on my record to this day...and that was 12 years ago. That's a bunch of BS. Don't worry this is not a segway into the "Man Woman" debate because over the past several years our court systems seem to be alot fairer to the men than they used to be. I AM glad imnot in that relationship anymore though lol.
in frankfort

Midway, KY

#18 Oct 6, 2010
Sounds cheap but how much are the attourneys fees no one has mentioned that yet.
William Johnson

Frankfort, KY

#19 Oct 7, 2010
Do not commit the crime in the first place.
But I believe that every one (well, almost every one) deserves a second and even third chance if they CHANGE THEIR WAYS.
You will have to hire an attorney to get your record cleaned up, but it would be money well spent.
done the crime

Frankfort, KY

#20 Oct 7, 2010
I had three misdemeanors expunged a couple of years ago. The application (AOC 496.2 ) stated very clearly that the crime must not have been a felony in the state, and it must have been at least five years from the date of conviction or completion of whatever sentence (whichever is later) before you APPLY for expungement, and no similar crimes since. It was $25 per charge then. The price may have gone up since. I got a court date set the day I walked into the clerks office and paid the fee. I already had an attorney on retainer, but he was really not needed in the courtroom. The judge looked at the crime, my record since, and said 'expungement granted, thank you!' I don't think you can get a felony expunged, it must be pardoned. best of luck to you. I wouldn't be able to chaperon field trips or school functions without my record being cleared.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 43 min now 148,170
Banta 1 hr lala 85
Tim Childers Opened a Campaign Office Downtown 1 hr You know 12
Jeff Hancock 1 hr nope 7
Frankfort's Downfall 2 hr lmao 18
What happen at montaplast? 3 hr Curious 35
amanda mccormick 3 hr joe 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages