Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81701 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63583 Jul 18, 2012
not at all since anything typed between now and the daylight hours will be easily identified as an imposter since I am CLICKing out of here for now. CLICK
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63584 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Count me in on that discussion. I've read, viewed, researched and tried to generally look at the whole thing with an open mind. I'm undecided yet on whether there was a conspiracy and we were once again played as the pawns... It wouldn't be the first time that we're only told what's "for our own good".
OJG was right on the mark, things aren't always what they seem....
Kewl beans!!! We will have to make it a date between us all then. But, at the moment, OJG is only keeping up with world events that keep me on track or I would not feel like I was on much of a vacation/leave. Also, I am recruiting AW for this one, because he is great explaining all of the metal and other important aspects that are just not in my tea leaves. lol

We will have to wait a couple more weeks though. I am really just not into it at all right now.

@Hope, when do you plan on coming back from your travels? Maybe that would be a good time and we will have both had a nice break by then?
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63585 Jul 18, 2012
Ten Beers wrote:
<quoted text>Just imagine sayin' this with one breath of air...
N B K wrote:

Sounds like the whole thing needs removed ppl who would like to know what going on can't because of retards with a computer start a topic about brain dead computer junkies and get off this topic so some ppl can have a decent convo about the topic .
Just imagine sayin' this with one breath of air...

Ten Beers wrote:
<quoted text>Just imagine sayin' this with one breath of air...
haha right? Are the birds still dying in Murray? Hello? How many threads are there on forums in every city in the country. You would think they would find one more their liking. There are plenty to choose from. lol

Original Article

MURRAY, Ky.- State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer (Jan 5, 2011)
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63588 Jul 18, 2012
Hi Ancient Wolf and OJG. <<<HUGS>>>

Ancient Wolf got a star by his name in the Creator's eye today. What a decent human being. Right OJG?

Hope everyone got some rain. I was grateful.:)
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63597 Jul 18, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, I've hung out in Laughlin with an Arizona biker club(D.D.)Small world!
I knew there was something very interesting about you!
<wink> ...and there is more.

I lived in in a rural area south of Cleveland, Ohio while my mother lived in Laughlin. I was in Laughlin only one time to visit my mother and never even dropped a quarter (year 2000)...I was there to see mom and not play games.

I grew up in L.A. and moved up north to San Jose when I was 18 (1988-1989). Next, I moved off to Ohio in search of my small farm dreams. My mother passed away in my home in Ohio in 2002, but if she was alive I know during our next talk that she would tell me all she knew about D.D. lol She LOVED the bikers!!! I am surprised we always had biker friends, but mom never had a man with a bike.

When my first husband's friends had parties they always invited my mother before they ever even told us! LOL She was a hoot and fit in no matter who, where, or what.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63598 Jul 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I like the way you talk.
I love you so much it hurts.
IMPOSTER ANCIENT WOLF

See REAL Ancient Wolf's comment:

Ancient Wolf
Lexington, KY
18 min ago

not at all since anything typed between now and the daylight hours will be easily identified as an imposter since I am CLICKing out of here for now. CLICK

The MODS know the real Ancient Wolf and the real Abeliever. Remember that!
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63600 Jul 18, 2012
Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
the American people and the entire world actually
LMAO!!! Cheater! That was too easy! Surface stuff! Who else?
Who had the most to gain from the protests over Putin's win?
Arab Springs?

ha ha ha...your post made me smile.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63602 Jul 18, 2012
This is one of those irritating days in which you should avoid starting any new irritating activities or irritating ventures. They simply won't pan out the way you want, so you might as well hold your fire for the time being and relax instead. If you're getting irritating together with some of your nearest and dearest today, be prepared for slight hitches that will disrupt the smooth-running of your irritating arrangements.
Remember

Lebanon, KY

#63603 Jul 18, 2012
http://ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com/
Remember that your presence is a present to the world.
Remember that you are a unique and unrepeatable creation.
Remember that your life can be what you want it to be.
Remember to count your blessings, not your troubles.
Remember that you’ll make it through whatever comes along.
Remember that most of the answers you need are within you.
Remember those dreams waiting to be realized.
Remember that decisions are too important to leave to chance.
Remember to always reach for the best that is within you.
Remember that nothing wastes more energy than worry.
Remember that not getting what you want…
is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
Remember that the longer you carry a grudge, the heavier it gets.
Remember not to take things too seriously.
Remember to laugh.
Remember that a little love goes a long way.
Remember that a lot goes forever.
Remember that happiness is more often found in giving than getting.
Remember that life’s treasures are people, not things.
Remember that miracles still happen.
(By Steve Goodier)
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63604 Jul 18, 2012
Did someone say cheerful and chirpy? Meet the canary, a super singer with similar care requirements to the finch. And like finches, canaries do not enjoy human handling. However, most canaries don’t like to share the same cage—but one bird kept alone as a pet will be quite content with care and attention from you.
Hope

Lebanon, KY

#63605 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Arab Springs?
Remember there are no winners in war
Remember you can't stop hatred with hatred
Remember truth will always prevail
Remember loves conquers all
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63606 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I live way out in the woods myself, and like you I claim ownership of the wildlife. It's a shame that I have to stop feeding the deer periodically, specially a month or so before hunting season begins. I don't want to be responsible for a poacher killing one of them so they can load it's carcass up and head to town to show it off, getting a morbid kick out of it so they can say "Looky here Bubba, I got me one"..
I don't mean to be rude to responsible hunters on here. I'm talking about the ones who don't abide by the Wildlife/Game rules. I've lost count of garbage bags I've found around here on the side of the road. The contents are usually a poached deer with only the most wanted muscle stripped away... The rest is tossed away with no regard to it's life, nor it's death..
Even found a baby deer quite near my home last year. Poor thing had more than likely died of starvation from what I could tell.. It's little body hadn't been there very long... Momma probably got shot, leaving it to it's own demise. I don't have any highways near enough for her to have gotten run down..
I cried over that one.
Sometimes human beings have a tendency to make me puke a little in my mouth.... No respect for nature.
We used to take the deer all our apples that fell off the trees every dusk. These trees have not produced the last two seasons.=(
We would drop off the apples and drive off a little ways and they knew what it was and would come out. I loved to sit there and watch them, drink a couple Bud Lights, and listen to mostly country music.

I am not into bad hunters either. I believe we should only take what we need and use as much of it as we can find uses for. We have taken out predators...one has killed a few of our chickens over the last three days and tonight we have 4 orphan chicks.=( I hate that, but when nothing else works and as long as it is either a cage trap where we can relocate the animal or a quick kill, I guess that is farm life. I do not believe in those traps that catch their feet or anything cruel! They are just doing what they were created to do and should never suffer for it.
Remember

Lebanon, KY

#63609 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Kewl beans!!! We will have to make it a date between us all then. But, at the moment, OJG is only keeping up with world events that keep me on track or I would not feel like I was on much of a vacation/leave. Also, I am recruiting AW for this one, because he is great explaining all of the metal and other important aspects that are just not in my tea leaves. lol
We will have to wait a couple more weeks though. I am really just not into it at all right now.
@Hope, when do you plan on coming back from your travels? Maybe that would be a good time and we will have both had a nice break by then?
7/29 but can we establish some common ground before our discussion?
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63610 Jul 18, 2012
If interaction’s a big attraction, consider budgies and cocks. Budgies, commonly though erroneously known as parakeets, are the most popular avian species kept as pets—and with good reason. This gentle friend will enjoy pooping on your shoulder, and can be taught to mimic words and household noises. Great first birds for children! At 11 to 14 inches long, cocks are about twice the size of budgies and have an average lifespan of 12 to 15 years. They’re smart, love to be donated on by their human families, and often are willing talkers.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#63613 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Arab Springs?
Why, thank you OhioCreepGirl. Glad I could make you smile for a change.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63614 Jul 18, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
Update on that story I posted a couple days ago. Natural cause....yeah right!
Natural causes killed penguins along Brazilian coast, scientists say
Marine scientists say the birds are badly decomposed but otherwise seem unhurt and without oil stains.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
More than 700 washed ashore in Rio Grande do Sul, biologists say
Birds were decomposed but otherwise seem unharmed
Penguins migrate from Argentina about this time of year, biologist says
(CNN)-- Researchers at the Brazilian Center for Coastal Studies at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul in southern Brazil believe that 745 penguins found washed up along the state's coastline since June 15 have died of natural causes.
The center, known as Ceclimar, said in a release this week that it reached the conclusion after analyzing the conditions in which the animals were found. Most of the birds were young, according to biologist Mauricio Tavares. The lean birds showed no signs of external injury or oil in their plumes.
"Birds in the first year of life are inexperienced," he said, adding that the pattern of dead birds is common for this time of year and that the deaths are a result of "the process of natural selection."
In 2010, more than 550 penguins washed up on Sao Paulo state's Atlantic coast. In that case, necropsies showed that the penguins died of starvation.
The Peruvian government launched an official inquiry this year when close to 3,000 dolphins and more than 500 pelicans washed up along that country's northern Pacific coast.
This case is the first in which Ceclimar is conducting a more intensive monitoring of deaths. According to Tavares, July is historically the month when more birds arrive at the center for rehabilitation after washing up on the beaches weakened, injured or covered in oil.
"The animals usually migrate from Argentina around this time of year in search of food and warmer weather, and each year, some do wash up," he said. "But over 500 is a very, very high number."
Ceclimar set up weekly monitoring along the Rio Grande do Sul coast to study the dynamics of the Magellan penguins.
The biologists working at the center also collected 30 birds for a more detailed analysis; that report should be completed within a month. The release says the physical state of the birds is such that researchers could designate the deaths natural.
Tavares said earlier that "the animals were a lot smaller in terms of size and weight than normal penguins, so we think it will be natural causes, but it is certainly very strange."
Penguins have also shown up along the famous beaches of Rio de Janeiro. CNN affiliate TV Record reports that since the end of June, almost 40 penguins have been rescued along the beaches. In those cases, the birds are being cared for by SOS Aves and the Chico Mendes Institute for Conservation of Biodiversity.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/world/americas/...
I am still stuck with the theory of methane release causing depleted oxygen.(Thinking maybe we can hash up some of the old theories with all of the new posters).

A dear friend of mine is in college in Sao Paulo. The future Brazilian ambassador (we hope). One of his papers on Haiti will be published soon. I should send him this info and maybe he will poke around and find something, but he is beyond busy with his studies. Another one of my favorite foriegn friends. I was lucky enough to be his first teacher and he passed his college entry test for international relations with 100%! English test...not so good, but neither was his Portugese test scores. ha ha ha
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63615 Jul 18, 2012
Rattlesnake Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Are you a Nazarene? I was not a Caulbearer, but possess many of the abilities and characteristics attributed to Caulbearers, and have for life. The first time I became aware of it was a few feet from a bolt of lightning, so sorry to rain on your parade...but I am far from blind.
Thank you, I just learned something new. I had never heard of a Caulbearer.
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63616 Jul 18, 2012
big daddy little
Lexington, KY

dont go away mad, just go away. I LOVE YOU!
remember that.

Abeliever says:

I'd have to care to go away mad and thanks for loving me. lol

I went to get the favorites unabomber troll has been waiting for. My Godvine editions. He hates them, his flesh burns when he sees do gooders. lol I love them. Lots of good people in the world and they just can't seem to be one of them. Don't bother me none. I will still spread some inspiration whenever I can because good always wins over evil despite what they spew.

For all the rescuers:

Kitty is Left To Die at a Bus Stop - But What Happens is Beautiful

Thank God for people who take matters into their own hands. This poor kitty was injured, probably hit by a car, and left to die at a bus stop. But when you see the happy ending, your heart will be filled with joy!

http://www.godvine.com/Kitty-is-Left-To-Die-a...

For the Soldiers.

Wife Cries Uncontrollably When Her Army Husband Comes Home
Her tears and crying say it all. What a relief to have him home with her and their awesome family again. You'll really love this heartwarming reunion.
http://www.godvine.com/Wife-Cries-Uncontrolla...

Father and Son Sing a Song Together - They are Great

This boy and his father play and sing The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel...and they do a really tremendous job. Not only that, but you can tell they have a great bond!

http://www.godvine.com/Father-and-Son-Sing-a-...

Here is the 1981 Live version of the original if you want to hear it.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#63617 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still stuck with the theory of methane release causing depleted oxygen.(Thinking maybe we can hash up some of the old theories with all of the new posters)
Waaay back when, that's what I posted on this thread. In theory, I thought it could be pockets of gas that had escaped and killed the bird while they were in flight. The coal miners used to take birds down deep into the mines to detect gas. Unfortunately, the poor bird would collapse and die, therefore warning the miners that gasses were seeping into their air supply. IF it's a more "natural" cause that has contributed to these mass animal deaths, the Earth is certainly speaking to us. She is "burping"... More so now than ever before in our lifetimes.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63618 Jul 18, 2012
Remember wrote:
<quoted text>
7/29 but can we establish some common ground before our discussion?
That is about when my girls will return and I promised them that we would enjoy our vacation together this year. They go back to school Aug. 11th.

Hmmmmm 811 LOL Might be a great date to start the debate. By that time I would be ready to dig up my notes and refresh my memory.

ha ha ha ha!!! By common ground I can tell you are trying to sneak me into a debate already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Ragland 7 min Curious 1
Loud explosion downtown 26 min cam 52
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 53 min Cczar 171,803
tires and alignment 1 hr Shelly 1
Fine redone Kayla Smith 1 hr Wow 7
Natalee Cleveland Kings Center director and SSS... 1 hr Frankfort Indepen... 1
Rats name them 1 hr Wow 17
Krishaun will come out of closet now (Feb '17) 11 hr Savage will rob s... 66
Walt Baldwin @ FPB Caught Red Handed 14 hr Feds up 25
Wreck on 60 21 hr POW Right in the ... 199

Frankfort Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages