2013 Little League Baseball

2013 Little League Baseball

Posted in the Frankfort Forum

Candace

Frankfort, KY

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Any information on the 2013 Parks & Rec Little League baseball league would be appreciated. Would love to know the names of any coaches who already have signed up this year. And can someone explain to me how the "draft" works?
mom

Frankfort, KY

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Candace wrote:
Any information on the 2013 Parks & Rec Little League baseball league would be appreciated. Would love to know the names of any coaches who already have signed up this year. And can someone explain to me how the "draft" works?
I don't have any info, but the draft is basically so coaches can't stack a team.
WarrenG

Shepherdsville, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2013
The coaches have a list of all players who have signed up, then they do a draft. After that, the fathers of the really good players (who haven't signed up yet) call the Rec. and tell them what team they want to be on. They then get added to those teams to "round out the numbers."
Former Coach

La Grange, IL

#4 Feb 24, 2013
It's definitely a "good ol boys club". We stopped playing because of the politics. It wasn't fun for the kids anymore because of the adults.
Armchair Quarterback

Frankfort, KY

#5 Feb 24, 2013
That's the way it is anywhere. It's too bad that kids can't enjoy sports for themselves without coaches and parents with hidden agendas.
thatslife

Frankfort, KY

#6 Feb 24, 2013
Do not know anyone who did not have fun in little league, sounds like your kids were benched or something.
Armchair Quarterback

Frankfort, KY

#7 Feb 24, 2013
Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. I'm one of those Dad's that does not and would not make excuses for my kids. If they aren't better than the next kid then get back to work at making yourself better if you want more playing time or a certain position. You work hard for what you want, nothing is handed to you and you are not entitled just because you're on the team. When we're talking about rec league, youth sports teams should not be stacked, if you want to stack a team then play travel ball/AAU!
mom

Frankfort, KY

#8 Feb 25, 2013
My son has always had a blast playing with the Parks Dept. The games at State Stadium are so much fun! In all honesty, there might be 4 or 5 kids where their parents might "pull some strings" (I don't know for sure, just guessing) and some times the coaches do trade players, but only if both coaches agree to it. Occasionally, there is a coach that will get a little carried away in a game for one reason or another, mostly bad calls, but most of the time its only because their heart is in it for the kids. We all need to remember, the coaches are volunteers... a lot of the umps are still kids themselves. Sit back and enjoy your kids having fun and stop starting rumors and causing drama. Life is too short for all that nonsense.

PS... As of last year Parks had a couple of travel teams, Frankfort Capitols. Like Armchair Quarterback said, if you want a stacked team play travel ball. You want to see stacked teams?? You should have traveled with us, you will see what a stacked team looks like. We got our asses handed to us A LOT and the kids, the parents & the coaches STILL had a great time!!!
mom

Frankfort, KY

#9 Feb 25, 2013
Candace wrote:
http://www.frankfortparksandrec.com/html/base...

Check out the parks & rec webpage... they will have the all the info up soon, I'm sure.
lol

Mobile, AL

#10 Mar 2, 2013
Get used to parent/coaches pulling strings. It doesn't get better once they try out for school sports. I know parents who became coaches for school teams just to make sure their kids are on the school team. If they can't coach, they are doing their best to be the coaches' best friend and their kids are best buddies with the coaches' kids. It's sad to see kids with real talent left out because of that but it's reality. The only chance to make it without this is to be really really really good. They need somebody to make up for the ones who suck.
Team Mom

Frankfort, KY

#11 Mar 4, 2013
I went to several games last year, even some my son's team wasnt playing in and i thought the teams were evenly matched. Our coaches were great too. It was my son's first year in little league and he's not the greatest player, but he loves playing on his team. He was thrilled hearing his name announced when coming up to bat. We will sign up again this year.
Local

Frankfort, KY

#12 Mar 5, 2013
I have great memories of time spent at State Stadium watching my son play Little League. I never felt like any of the teams were stacked, and my son was far from a great player.

I then coached the 13-year olds. All five coaches that year gathered with park dept. personnel for a draft. It was carried out very fairly.

I really think Frankfort kids are blessed to have the opportunities and facilities we have.
two shades

Frankfort, KY

#13 Mar 5, 2013
Just got off the phone with parks and rec. Baseball sign ups are only on March 16th from 10-2 at Westridge Elementary....child has to be present to get sized....I asked if there was to be a backup plan if you could not attend this day and was told there most likely would be but that plan has not been set in place yet....this is the first time they have done things this way and i guarantee it be the last lol....but everyone please try to get to sign ups if you are intersted...was told baseball is $60....
Coach

Tucker, GA

#14 Mar 6, 2013
I grew up in Frankfort and played baseball from the age of 6-17. I also coached Cal Ripken and can attest to the fact that the draft system is better then randomly assigning players, but is still flawed. My recommendation, that fell on deaf ears, was for all of the coaches to work together to place kids on the number of available teams based on skill and age. These teams would then be placed in the hat so to speak and each coach would draw a team. This process would prevent stacking and insure the coaches made the teams as even as possible due to not knowing what team he would draw.
Travelball Coach

Evansville, IN

#15 Mar 7, 2013
I have coached Rec league ball for years ( not in Frankfort) and also coach a travelball 12u and 13u team. Now days, most of your better kids play travelball and your average kids play Rec ball. I still coach Rec ball, but do it to teach kids the game of baseball, and have fun. I may not win lots of Rec games, but the kids always have fun. Agree with what most have said, parents ruin the fun that kids have. My biggest problem is parents expect you as a coach to make their kid the greatest player ever in 1 to 2 practices a week, but never spend time at home with them working on the skills to make them a better player. Now my travel team is composed of very talented players from several different counties, we travel all across the state as well as out of state. We have one goal, and that is to win while having fun. Parents get upset cause sometimes their kids didnt make a travel team that they may have tried out for. Travel teams don't look to develop kids into players, but look at fine tuning a player that is at the top of their game.
two shades

Frankfort, KY

#16 Mar 8, 2013
and this has what to do with this post?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min God said to kill 163,752
I married a Warden 18 min STOP 5
Cove Springs Park is a Great Thing (Aug '13) 26 min BkL 28
Tyree childress 1 hr OFC 7
Adecco 2 hr Concern 6
Tate's Lawn Care 2 hr ICutGrass 66
Where are the nice, attractive men? 2 hr DumbHo 43
Coup 2 hr Fix dat bizness 33

Frankfort Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages