lol

Waddy, KY

#1 May 3, 2012
Is it a good place to go to school? Whats a good 2 year degree? Thinking about medical coding, i will be happy with 30k/year to start after the 2 year course
Christiaan Huygens

Frankfort, KY

#2 May 4, 2012
If you live in Frankfort, it would be a better idea just to go to KSU. BCTC was OK, but extremely poorly ran. Anything you can get from BCTC, you can get from KSU, and depending on what degree you choose to pursue, it will probably be better. They have some excellent faculty. I'd recommend not doing anything business related though. For nursing (or coding probably) and that stuff, give them a look.

Not to discourage you from attending school, but you could probably somewhat easily find a 30K job without a degree. If your primary interest is making the money and not educating yourself, it would be much easier to just find a job that doesn't require a degree and pays 30k (and you come out without debt).

Just my thoughts. Don't put much stock in someone's opinion who doesn't know you, but consider KSU along with BCTC.
hmm

United States

#3 May 14, 2012
Christiaan Huygens wrote:
If you live in Frankfort, it would be a better idea just to go to KSU. BCTC was OK, but extremely poorly ran. Anything you can get from BCTC, you can get from KSU, and depending on what degree you choose to pursue, it will probably be better. They have some excellent faculty. I'd recommend not doing anything business related though. For nursing (or coding probably) and that stuff, give them a look.

Not to discourage you from attending school, but you could probably somewhat easily find a 30K job without a degree. If your primary interest is making the money and not educating yourself, it would be much easier to just find a job that doesn't require a degree and pays 30k (and you come out without debt).

Just my thoughts. Don't put much stock in someone's opinion who doesn't know you, but consider KSU along with BCTC.
ksu doesnt offer 2 year degrees.. But after i get my associate i will go to ksu
Ummm

Frankfort, KY

#4 May 14, 2012
hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
ksu doesnt offer 2 year degrees.. But after i get my associate i will go to ksu
LOL! Is your plan not going to amount to about the same time? If KSU doesn't offer two year degrees, then I can only guess that you may go to pursue your Bachelor's degree, which would amount to about the same time if you simply started out at KSU.
sorry to say this

Frankfort, KY

#5 May 15, 2012
It's inconvenient as hell, but go to UK if you can and not KSU. I'm getting a second degree at KSU and I've come to believe it has been a huge mistake and a waste of money. I went there for the convenience and figured a college education is a college education no matter where you go. I was wrong. KSU is a joke, at least in the computer science department. High school has a more rigourous academic environment. In other colleges, if you don't understand it's up to you to study harder or get help. At KSU they teach to absolute lowest common denominator. Meaning they teach to the lowest level of students. The computer programs you are required to write could be done by someone in middle school. I had a professor there get so frustrated that the students were unwilling to to do the liitle expected, she talked about how she couldn't assign homework that her professor friends at UK and EKU gave because it was way too difficult. At every other school I know of you have to have four semesters of calculus to get a computer science degree. At KSU, you can get a computer science degree with ZERO semesters of calculus. I had a very good professor there ( a black man by the way) tell me they had a difficult time getting anyone employed when they graduated. Companies only recruit there when they are looking for a minority. He kindly told me that, as a white person, I might have difficulty finding a job. He told me (in a whisper) that they couldn't raise the standards because they would have a difficulty getting anyone to pass.

I know people will think I'm a racist, but the reason is it's a black college. They have the lowest entry standards I have ever seen. There are some intelligent and diligent students there, but they are few and far between. The vast majority of students couldn't come close to cutting it in any other college. They have the mentality that they are entitled to a degree as long as they show up. No effort is necessary. I'm not exaggerating. That's the way they feel. I've had young black students tell me they feel like they are still in high school.

I took a high level statistics class there. I hadn't had statistics in a while, so I figured it might be difficult. Other students (white students I'm afraid) said we were covering material they had learned in lower level courses iat other schools. The professor there was disgusted that he had to teach at such a low level. It was his first and last semester teaching there. He said it was rediculus to give tests to a class and have most of them score 15 - 20 percent. I know it's bad to say, but it was a night class and the only ones to pass the course were the white students and one Chinese lady. The professor basically gave you the problems that would be on the test, but the other students were obviously too lazy to work them out beforehand.

I know alot of people are going to come on here and call me racist, but I know in my heart that I am not. I have known a tremendous amount of really great black people. Men I would be proud of to have as a son-in-lw. But KSU is a joke as an educational institute because they cater to the low end of the black community spectrum.

So, I would encourage everyone, including talented black students, to do yourself a favor and suck it up and go somewhere else. Having a piece a paper with a degree from KSU is meaningless if most employers just laugh at it.

hmm

Waddy, KY

#6 May 15, 2012
Ummm wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Is your plan not going to amount to about the same time? If KSU doesn't offer two year degrees, then I can only guess that you may go to pursue your Bachelor's degree, which would amount to about the same time if you simply started out at KSU.
rofl are u a redneck or something? i need an associates degree first so i can get a decent job then continue with bachelors
Ummm

Frankfort, KY

#8 May 15, 2012
hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
rofl are u a redneck or something? i need an associates degree first so i can get a decent job then continue with bachelors
No, I'm far from a redneck. One question for you: Are you working now? You don't need an associates degree first before you can get a "decent" job to continue pursuing your bachelors degree. How are you surviving and maintaining now without your "decent" job while pursuing your associates degree? You should be 'rofl' at yourself for this lame excuse. I understand some people want to get their associates degree and get a job, THEN go back to school to get their bachelors degree, but NEVER have I heard the excuse you just gave. Somehow you are surviving while getting your associates, thus you should still be able to survive while pursuing your bachelors. Once achieved you may get a better "decent" job than you would have with your associates degree. I also know people that get their associates, go to work, and then go back to school because guess what, THEIR EMPLOYER MAY PAY FOR THEIR EDUCATION. Looking at the content of your post, I can only surmise that you sir/madame MUST BE THE REDNECK.
mmmk

Frankfort, KY

#9 May 15, 2012
I attend BCTC and I love it. The classes are small and the teachers are very helpful. I am going for my associates in nursing and its a 4 year program. The only thing is that if they do not have more than 8 students signed up for a class in the summer they cancel that class, but the advisors will help you with everything. And if you dont like it transferring should be easy. K state idk about because i dont go there, but BCTC is great.
Ehh

Schaumburg, IL

#10 May 15, 2012
mmmk wrote:
I attend BCTC and I love it. The classes are small and the teachers are very helpful. I am going for my associates in nursing and its a 4 year program. The only thing is that if they do not have more than 8 students signed up for a class in the summer they cancel that class, but the advisors will help you with everything. And if you dont like it transferring should be easy. K state idk about because i dont go there, but BCTC is great.
2 year program, not 4
hmm

Waddy, KY

#12 May 16, 2012
yep wrote:
I graduated a couple weeks ago with an associates and I just got hired making $28/hr
what do u do
hmm

Waddy, KY

#13 May 16, 2012
yep wrote:
I graduated a couple weeks ago with an associates and I just got hired making $28/hr
what associates degree did u get
amazed

Frankfort, KY

#15 May 17, 2012
I would recommend BCTC for your associates then move on for a four year degree. The only reason is it's cheaper and it gets all your pre reqs out of the way without going into a lot of debt.
Christiaan Huygens

Frankfort, KY

#16 May 20, 2012
If you take a business statistics class, yes, you will be getting useless information you should have learned in high school. But if you take real statistics, it's not stuff you've seen before. People don't pass if you don't put forth the effort and know the information.

If you take low level classes, yeah, your teachers are basically babysitting the students...but if you take those classes, you obviously aren't serious about your education so you might as well save money and get out.
sorry to say this

Frankfort, KY

#17 May 20, 2012
Christiaan Huygens wrote:
If you take a business statistics class, yes, you will be getting useless information you should have learned in high school. But if you take real statistics, it's not stuff you've seen before. People don't pass if you don't put forth the effort and know the information.
If you take low level classes, yeah, your teachers are basically babysitting the students...but if you take those classes, you obviously aren't serious about your education so you might as well save money and get out.

If you're talking to me, it wasn't a low-level statistics class. It was a higher-level statistics class. I said this in my post. Learn to read. My point was, it was a higher level taught as a lower level beacuse anything else was beyond the cscope of a lot of the students. It wasn't business statistics.
Christiaan Huygens

Frankfort, KY

#18 May 22, 2012
Obviously I do know how to read, that was pretty pointless for you to say...

Either one of two scenarios...

1) You went to school there a great deal of time ago which means your opinions here are irrelevant. How a school was several years ago is meaningless to a question about a school right now.

or

2) You're lying. A man has not taught an upper level statistics course in years.

Not sure which one.#1 is ok...just a mistake, no problem.#2 is pretty bad.
here is why

Frankfort, KY

#19 May 22, 2012
Of course you can read. You just can't interprut what you read accurately.

1. I'm going currently going to KSU.

2. No, I'm not lying. Yes there was. Try getting your facts right. Fall semester 2011. Older white-haired, white gentleman who came in at the last minute. He wasn't there for the first day of class. He came down from Michigan, I think. His wife had a good job and didn't want to leave it. He said he took the position out of boredom. He told me this was the only semester he would do there because the students were so poorly prepared for college. He was tired of giving out almost nothing but low scores. The powers that be wanted him to pass everyone if they just showed up fairly regularly. He refused. He was on the graduate school board he said someone(who graduated from KSU) got a 130 ont the GRE. The national average is about 550.

Let me see if I can get his name. I think it started with an "S".
sorry to say this

Frankfort, KY

#20 May 22, 2012
Sorry. "here is why" is also me.
sorry to say this

Frankfort, KY

#21 May 22, 2012
The class was ECO 321 Quantitative Methods and Decision Making. All about statistics and probablility. The nonexistant professor's name was Tom Stanley.
Christiaan Huygens

Frankfort, KY

#22 May 22, 2012
and that's your problem. You took an Econ class in the school of Business. That is not a statistics class. Statistics classes are taught in the math department. Get your facts straight.
kygal

Chicago, IL

#23 Jun 10, 2012
It is a good school

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min Unfortunate Laugh 138,488
Tammy Burleson on dope again! 20 min biotch 3
Lydia Gravitt 48 min saywhat 8
Julie cummins 1 hr Unknown 27
anthony bui? 1 hr dead 2
Julie Anderson is a who@e 1 hr Im a sucker 3
pallets 2 hr WoodWorking 1
hottest guys at COT(commonwealth office of Tech... (Oct '11) 8 hr wounded skunk 38
More from around the web

Frankfort People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]