Hoosiers relearn agriculture values on visit to Liberia

May 4, 2014 Read more: The Indianapolis Star

Indianapolis attorney Todd Janzen went with a group of Indiana agriculture experts to Liberia to observe and help with agricultural issues.

Read more

Since: Sep 11

Michigantown, IN

#2 May 10, 2014
People truly have no idea what it like in a third world nation. I just finished up 20 years in the southern most part of Brazil, S A. No clean drinking water, no descent sewer system. When we started down there the town had 7,000 people. Farmland and little else. Their beef cows have NO fat. The meet was tough and chewy. Their chickens were tiny only ate what they found, no grain. Same for beef no grain. All the streets were dirt 20 years ago. My last trip, Oct 2013, I looked around. 16,000 inhabitants. All the streets paved. New hospital, new preschool, new school for special needs kids, new church and new medical clinic. All this in 20 years. We got a couple of farming institutions here involved with the local farmers down there, their farms are thriving. People say, "why not do it in the U S? We do and have. Appillation Mts, bought Christmas for 25 families in Frankfort, helped the Open Door Clinic until they refused our help. Worked with Parkview every Christmas until we were told we could no longer bring "individual" gifts. We had to bring everything in a bag and drop it off. There is an "entitlement" attitude to Americans that needs to be changed. No one in this country is Thankful anymore? I have family in the Mts so I know ! Go near them without permission and they will shoot you! Not much I don't know about being poor. Lived that way most of my life. Just very different overseas. They are VERY thankful and humble.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets take a poll on how you feel about the hisp... (Sep '14) 5 hr homegrown 12
News Voters will weigh in on $30M plans to renovate ... 5 hr Kitten 64
Mayor McBarnes 11 hr Curious 22
Feeling good about how far Frankfort has come Fri Richelle M Lutz 17
Places to go Fri Voter 2
Nanna Thu guest 2
health department Apr 13 Just the facts pl... 3
More from around the web

Frankfort People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE