I love being Mexican

Brazil

#84 Apr 10, 2013
Focus On Frankfort wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should have addressed the non-elected City Councilman as... Mr. Focus On Frankfort
Wasn't that the site that picked on Melinda Grismer and the Purdue Extension Office?

When he shut the site down, he should have been more careful in how he handled it.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#85 Apr 10, 2013
nu-viewer wrote:
NOONE is against Higher Education NOONE. What we ARE against is NOONE has taken the TIME to look at: at WHAT COST. This endeavor is for a TWO count them TWO year school. Students (if they GET them) will STILL have to move ON to a Secondary school to CONTINUE their education.
Nu-viewy,

Exactly what did you expect, that Purdue or IU would announce a full size extension campus here in Frankfort, where would could get a 4-year degree, along with a masters degree, maybe a PhD?

Be real. IVT starting out only offering a limited amount of classes is the smart, prudent way to proceed. If prospective students in Frankfort, Clinton county, and surrounding areas attend the Frankfort 'campus' in sufficient numbers then IVT will add more classes and opportunities here in Frankfort.

It seems to me that your take is "we want a full service 4-year college in Clinton County from the start or no deal". Well nu-viewy, that isn't going to happen. Start facing reality.

As for your mindless rant about 'country folk' thanks for proving my point. And BTW I was raised and grew up in the country.
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#86 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
Nu-viewy,
Exactly what did you expect, that Purdue or IU would announce a full size extension campus here in Frankfort, where would could get a 4-year degree, along with a masters degree, maybe a PhD?
Be real. IVT starting out only offering a limited amount of classes is the smart, prudent way to proceed. If prospective students in Frankfort, Clinton county, and surrounding areas attend the Frankfort 'campus' in sufficient numbers then IVT will add more classes and opportunities here in Frankfort.
It seems to me that your take is "we want a full service 4-year college in Clinton County from the start or no deal". Well nu-viewy, that isn't going to happen. Start facing reality.
As for your mindless rant about 'country folk' thanks for proving my point. And BTW I was raised and grew up in the country.
I think the better question for you Punjab is, explain to us how this IVT is going to succeed and most of all, how is the tax payer paying all this money going to benefit? What will be the economic boom in Frankfort? Remember, most college kids don't have alot of money and won't spend much here in our fine city. And really, where are they going to go eat? So what I am saying is, if you had a ton of money, you would invest your money in this school knowing you are going to reap the benefits from this school/

Location hidden

#87 Apr 10, 2013
Tell me wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the better question for you Punjab is, explain to us how this IVT is going to succeed and most of all, how is the tax payer paying all this money going to benefit? What will be the economic boom in Frankfort? Remember, most college kids don't have alot of money and won't spend much here in our fine city. And really, where are they going to go eat? So what I am saying is, if you had a ton of money, you would invest your money in this school knowing you are going to reap the benefits from this school/
You really question the value of higher education to a community like Frankfort? Do you really want this community to be stuck in the 19th and 20th century forever?

The era where an individual could go right from high school to work at a local factory and raise a family, become a member of the middle class, then retire comfortably are over. Education is the key to being valuable in a new and information-centric economy. And if by being able to attend IVT close to home for at least a portion of their college education means that student decides to stay in Frankfort/Clinton County after they graduate is a win for this community.

We have to do something to fight the 'brain drain' that is going on in Indiana. If we don't then this community slowly dies, a prospect than frankly a lot of you don't seem to give a damn about.

Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#88 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
You really question the value of higher education to a community like Frankfort? Do you really want this community to be stuck in the 19th and 20th century forever?
The era where an individual could go right from high school to work at a local factory and raise a family, become a member of the middle class, then retire comfortably are over. Education is the key to being valuable in a new and information-centric economy. And if by being able to attend IVT close to home for at least a portion of their college education means that student decides to stay in Frankfort/Clinton County after they graduate is a win for this community.
We have to do something to fight the 'brain drain' that is going on in Indiana. If we don't then this community slowly dies, a prospect than frankly a lot of you don't seem to give a damn about.
I didn't question the value of higher education, I simply asked you how this would benefit the city of Frankfort by investing millions of dollars of local tax payers monies. After all, isn't IVT a state funded school that is already funded by tax dollars? Why doesn't IVT invest money in this project? To state you can't go out of high school and work in a factory and live a comfortable life and retire, is absurd. People still do it all the time. What education do you need other than a good solid high school education to be a blue collar worker. Lets face it, most of the jobs in any city and anywhere for that matter are blue collar jobs that require on the job training. On the job training is alot more beneficial than any book can teach.. Again, would you invest your money in this project? It appears IVT isn't willing to do that, why is it? And again, what is the economic boom for the city of Frankfort? You failed to answer the question. You simply said its a win for this community by kids staying in Frankfort. What is the win? How many white collar jobs are here in Frankfort?

Since: Sep 11

Michigantown, IN

#89 Apr 10, 2013
You keep a callin me dumb "Punjabby" First and Foremost just cause yer BORN in the Country doesn't make ya Country Folk. Did yer Parents FARM and make a LIVING Helping FEED the masses? THAT my friend is PURE Country Folk as I AM. NOT just cause ya 'Lived" in the country. Secondly You keep forgetting IVT was HERE in the LIBRARY for Seven Count them SEVEN years and they SHUT IT DOWN cause Noone was Interested. and the "WISHY WASHY"? YOU just Quoted on another post making FUN of the Plumbers over at IVT with another poster wondering if they were gonna make a "Launderymat or Other business" AS I KEEP a sayin and will CONTINUE to say NOONE on this site is AGAINST Education for Frankfort. What we SAY is .........AT WHAT COST???

Since: Sep 11

Michigantown, IN

#90 Apr 10, 2013
nu-viewer wrote:
You keep a callin me dumb "Punjabby" First and Foremost just cause yer BORN in the Country doesn't make ya Country Folk. Did yer Parents FARM and make a LIVING Helping FEED the masses? THAT my friend is PURE Country Folk as I AM. NOT just cause ya 'Lived" in the country. Secondly You keep forgetting IVT was HERE in the LIBRARY for Seven Count them SEVEN years and they SHUT IT DOWN cause Noone was Interested. and the "WISHY WASHY"? YOU just Quoted on another post making FUN of the Plumbers over at IVT with another poster wondering if they were gonna make a "Launderymat or Other business" AS I KEEP a sayin and will CONTINUE to say NOONE on this site is AGAINST Education for Frankfort. What we SAY is .........AT WHAT COST???
"Punjabby" the Plumbing part is about the Stock's Laundry I admit when I make a mistake-yes I AM an old man-BUT-Many of US in here STILL feel the same about IVT. And since you brought it UP: Since we will HAVE an IVT campus here. Why will we Still need to Finance the Purdue Extension? When this ol guy went to the LIBRARY and ask the questions about when IVT was there, they ALSO told me they USED to have classes fer the latinos to learn English fer FREE and Purdue Extension took it over cause Mrs. Tharp? Got a big Grant ta have it there? Can ya fill us in since you seem to be involved?

Location hidden

#91 Apr 10, 2013
Tell me wrote:
<quoted text>
To state you can't go out of high school and work in a factory and live a comfortable life and retire, is absurd. People still do it all the time. What education do you need other than a good solid high school education to be a blue collar worker.[/quote]

Where are all these good paying blue collar jobs?

[QUOTE who="Tell me"] Lets face it, most of the jobs in any city and anywhere for that matter are blue collar jobs that require on the job training.[/quote]

Please provide a link to statistics backing up your statement.

[QUOTE who="Tell me"] Again, would you invest your money in this project? It appears IVT isn't willing to do that, why is it? And again, what is the economic boom for the city of Frankfort? You failed to answer the question. You simply said its a win for this community by kids staying in Frankfort. What is the win? How many white collar jobs are here in Frankfort?
The boon for Frankfort comes from having a more economically diverse population, not 90% of the working individuals making $12 an hour at a dead-end factory job in the industrial park. More individuals with a college education working in fields like information technology, engineering, medicine, etc. and choosing to make Frankfort their home is a boon. And the beginning of that boon starts with a better education. And if we can get make getting that education just a little bit easier by allowing individuals to start their post-high school education at a local place like IVT Frankfort that much the better. It's a fact that white collar workers on average earn more over their lifetimes that blue collar workers. Those earnings can be spent here, on businesses in Frankfort instead of in Lafayette, Indianapolis or someplace out of state.

Now answer me a couple of questions. Exactly what economic boon does the Community Schools of Frankfort bring to this community? Why should you and I have to pay for Elementary, Middle, and High Schools? A lot of these kids when they graduate flee Frankfort and Clinton County anyway. Isn't that money effectively wasted?
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#92 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
The boon for Frankfort comes from having a more economically diverse population, not 90% of the working individuals making $12 an hour at a dead-end factory job in the industrial park. More individuals with a college education working in fields like information technology, engineering, medicine, etc. and choosing to make Frankfort their home is a boon. And the beginning of that boon starts with a better education. And if we can get make getting that education just a little bit easier by allowing individuals to start their post-high school education at a local place like IVT Frankfort that much the better. It's a fact that white collar workers on average earn more over their lifetimes that blue collar workers. Those earnings can be spent here, on businesses in Frankfort instead of in Lafayette, Indianapolis or someplace out of state.
Now answer me a couple of questions. Exactly what economic boon does the Community Schools of Frankfort bring to this community? Why should you and I have to pay for Elementary, Middle, and High Schools? A lot of these kids when they graduate flee Frankfort and Clinton County anyway. Isn't that money effectively wasted?
First off, it is a law that your child attend elementary, middle school and high school, so call it a waste if you will but you have no choice.

The reason kids flee from Frankfort is rather simple, you can only have so many Doctors, Attorneys, Engineers and so on in a community of this size.

I am sorry but facts are facts and blue collar workers will always dominate the work force. Always has and always will and many factories in this area pay more than $12.00 per hour. Should the city be held responsible for the wages they pay their city workers? After all, look at your Fire and Police department and you will find they are underpaid when comparing to other cities. Why is that, shouldn't they set the standard if indeed they want kids to stay in this fine city?

So,if you feel that money is being wasted on funding the Community Schools of Frankfort, they why would we add to the problem and fund IVT. Also, didn't we have classes at the Library offered by IVT. How did that work out, did kids go there and return to the workforce in Frankfort? Would you say that in Frankfort their will always be more blue collar workers or white collar workers? And why?
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#93 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, one last time, why doesn't IVT put money into this project? Why is it only the responsibility of the local tax payer?
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#94 Apr 10, 2013
Oh and one last thing, where does most of your teachers, superintendent, plant managers and white collar workers live? Most live outside this county... Why? Crime problem, drugs, terrible housing, dirty city, what is it?

Location hidden

#95 Apr 10, 2013
Tell me wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, it is a law that your child attend elementary, middle school and high school, so call it a waste if you will but you have no choice.
But there is no law which says they have to attend a publicly funded elementary, middle or high school. You can choose to homeschool or send your child to a private school.

Why don't we just do away with publicly funded schools and have every parent pay for 100% of their child's education? Wouldn't that be the fair and equitable way to do it?

Location hidden

#96 Apr 10, 2013
Tell me wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, one last time, why doesn't IVT put money into this project? Why is it only the responsibility of the local tax payer?
Please show me the document where it says IVT has zero fiscal responsibility in the running of IVT Frankfort. Who pays for the teachers and professors?

Interesting that you are ok with publicly funded primary education but balk at the slightest hint of publicly funded higher education.

Location hidden

#97 Apr 10, 2013
Tell me wrote:
Oh and one last thing, where does most of your teachers, superintendent, plant managers and white collar workers live? Most live outside this county... Why? Crime problem, drugs, terrible housing, dirty city, what is it?
I know many teachers that live in the city/county.

Are saying IVT Frankfort would make the city a less desirable place to live? Why?
Pot and Kettle

Brazil

#98 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
Please show me the document where it says IVT has zero fiscal responsibility in the running of IVT Frankfort. Who pays for the teachers and professors?
Interesting that you are ok with publicly funded primary education but balk at the slightest hint of publicly funded higher education.
If you are that confident that IVY has MONEY in the game, perhaps it is you who should be producing a document to show us that we are wrong.

Location hidden

#99 Apr 10, 2013
Pot and Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are that confident that IVY has MONEY in the game, perhaps it is you who should be producing a document to show us that we are wrong.
I'm not that confident. I just want proof from the education haters that IVT is getting a completely 100% free ride here.

Location hidden

#100 Apr 10, 2013
It looks like Crawfordsville has an IVT location that is similar in size and scope to the one under construction in Frankfort: http://ivytech.edu/lafayette/locations/crawfo...

I wonder if the C-ville community spewed as much hatred and vitriol over investing money in the future of it's children and residents as this one has?
Pot and Kettle

Brazil

#101 Apr 10, 2013
I think "Tell Me" is saying that they are contributing nothing to the physical facility.

Who pays for the teachers and professors? The state and the students. Don't know what the percentage is. Since the state has a hand in it, then that means me, you, and other taxpayers too.

It's great that you think it will turn Frankfort around. Hell, I bet half of Clinton County would give you and the small, small, small, number of people (probably less than 200) a public apology.
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#102 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
I know many teachers that live in the city/county.
Are saying IVT Frankfort would make the city a less desirable place to live? Why?
As I said, I know many that do not live in this city or county. And yes, please provide that document that shows IVT having money in this project. I would say IVT doesn't pay the teacher's salaries its called tax payer money. Yes IVT is funded by tax payers.
Tell me

Frankfort, IN

#103 Apr 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is no law which says they have to attend a publicly funded elementary, middle or high school. You can choose to homeschool or send your child to a private school.
Why don't we just do away with publicly funded schools and have every parent pay for 100% of their child's education? Wouldn't that be the fair and equitable way to do it?
I would love to be able to pay just my childs education. Unfortunately I have to pay for many other kids as well. Lunches, books, and so.. Oh and could you recommend a private school in Frankfort I can take my child to?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump rally in frankfort 8 hr Trump Train 1
Drug must on 28 18 hr Sorry NOT SORRY 7
Lighthouse Inn Tue Sleep well 4
fatal accident/unrestrained child (Jul '15) May 23 Duh 12
Good day cares in Frankfort May 22 Searching Mother 1
Is clinton central school closing down May 22 fucky mcfuckstick 8
heather roberts (freeman) May 19 Frankfort Resident 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frankfort Mortgages