Frankfort ISTEP+ scores in bottom 10

Sep 25, 2013 Full story: WLFI-TV West Lafayette 57

The Community Schools of Frankfort is continuing to look at their results from last year's ISTEP+ test that saw the district among the bottom ten public schools in the state.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#42 Oct 8, 2013
FiredUp wrote:
Most prefer to see their children succeed not fail.
My child received a successful education at CSF. Now enrolled at a state university partially funded by a generous academic scholarship.
Angela

Richmond, IN

#43 Oct 8, 2013
Based on what I am hearing, the hispanic children are doing just fine. Most are getting high grades.

Location hidden

#44 Oct 8, 2013
Angela wrote:
Based on what I am hearing, the hispanic children are doing just fine. Most are getting high grades.
Maybe because their parents realize the value of an education, and so do the children.
shirley

Frankfort, IN

#45 Oct 8, 2013
Angela wrote:
That's because the teachers who teach those particular children have had to lower their standards so they will make the grades.
UNO

Frankfort, IN

#46 Oct 8, 2013
FiredUp wrote:
That is what many do! It is not running away from the problem. This is not new news about Frankfort Schools. This is why county schools no longer charge a tuition fee for city children due to POOR State Test scores.
Parents have been pulling their children for years and sending them to the county schools for better education.
Laugh all you want. Most prefer to see their children succeed not fail.
<quoted text>
At the risk of soundinding cynical, perhaps you could simply look outside the box and research solutions. I see your point, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Furthermore, I have faith that good will happen if the right people take charge and put some passion and effort into the matter. To imply a relocation of our children to a surrounding county school does nothing but encourage an over crowding scenario..

Location hidden

#47 Oct 9, 2013
shirley wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because the teachers who teach those particular children have had to lower their standards so they will make the grades.
How did they get approval to lower state mandated standards for Latino or ESL children?
Angela

Danville, IN

#48 Oct 9, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe because their parents realize the value of an education, and so do the children.
You are right!!! Hispanics teach children the value of a education so we can be smarter/better than others in the class. Other kids play video games when they get home from school, hispanic children study.
Forget it

Frankfort, IN

#49 Oct 9, 2013
Angela wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right!!! Hispanics teach children the value of a education so we can be smarter/better than others in the class. Other kids play video games when they get home from school, hispanic children study.
They go to learn English and get free food.

Location hidden

#50 Oct 9, 2013
Forget it wrote:
<quoted text>
They go to learn English and get free food.
So free food is only for Latinos? No Caucasians in our community receive free/reduced school lunches or food stamps?

Location hidden

#51 Oct 9, 2013
Angela wrote:
<quoted text>
What is wrong with parents teaching their children the value of an education?
Farmer Joe

Markleville, IN

#52 Oct 9, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
So free food is only for Latinos? No Caucasians in our community receive free/reduced school lunches or food stamps?
There was a farmer in the Rossville area that sent his kids through school using the free lunch program. Never paid a dime, but taxpayers did.
Punjab is

Michigantown, IN

#53 Oct 9, 2013
Farmer Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a farmer in the Rossville area that sent his kids through school using the free lunch program. Never paid a dime, but taxpayers did.
Someone must not be getting enough cash rent.
Hmmmm

Frankfort, IN

#54 Oct 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
<quoted text>
My children have all been A or B students while enrolled at CSF.
It's the white trash hicks who don't give a damn about education and pass that mindset down to their children (along with a dependency on government entitlements) that are dragging down CSF test scores.
What is the official definition of "white trash hicks."

Location hidden

#55 Oct 10, 2013
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the official definition of "white trash hicks."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash
FYI

Frankfort, IN

#56 Oct 10, 2013
calling it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right! When people try to blame teachers, it's such a total cop-out. You could take all of those teachers from those solid schools and transplant them to Frankfort and guess what?!?! Frankfort would still be sh*t. And you could take Frankfort's teachers and transplant them to Hamilton County or some other high-ranking area and those kids' grades wouldn't suddenly decline. You know why? Because it isn't the teachers. It's the absolute lack of drive these kids have. Statistics don't lie; and statistically, there is a correlation between parent income, parent education level, and student performance. Generally speaking, kids whose parents are educated and successful push their children to do the same. On the flip-side, parents who are struggling themselves, often don't have the time, energy, or concern to care about how their children are doing. Just look at Frankfort's drop-out rates. Kids who drop out of school end up having kids who do the same. And again, I am not saying that this is true of EVERY single person, but statistically there is evidence that what I am saying is true. There is also a direct link between test scores and a school's percentage of free or reduced lunches. FACT: Frankfort has a very high poverty rate. It's not surprising that we do so poorly academically.
This is the most intelligent thing I have read on this forum! Amen! Some parents want the schools to be babysitters and expect the teachers to take responsibility for their kid's failures when in fact it goes back to the parent not having a structure at home. It doesn't matter how much money you have..it matters how much parent involvement there is. Parents need to interact with their kids and ask about school help with homework and check their work to make sure they are understanding what they are learning. I believe the teachers are there for the child and the parent if there is a problem..but it starts with the parent.
Hmmmm

Frankfort, IN

#57 Oct 10, 2013
punjab wrote:
A little rough on your neighbors, huh?
Janet

Frankfort, KY

#58 Oct 11, 2013
calling it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right! When people try to blame teachers, it's such a total cop-out. You could take all of those teachers from those solid schools and transplant them to Frankfort and guess what?!?! Frankfort would still be sh*t. And you could take Frankfort's teachers and transplant them to Hamilton County or some other high-ranking area and those kids' grades wouldn't suddenly decline. You know why? Because it isn't the teachers. It's the absolute lack of drive these kids have. Statistics don't lie; and statistically, there is a correlation between parent income, parent education level, and student performance. Generally speaking, kids whose parents are educated and successful push their children to do the same. On the flip-side, parents who are struggling themselves, often don't have the time, energy, or concern to care about how their children are doing. Just look at Frankfort's drop-out rates. Kids who drop out of school end up having kids who do the same. And again, I am not saying that this is true of EVERY single person, but statistically there is evidence that what I am saying is true. There is also a direct link between test scores and a school's percentage of free or reduced lunches. FACT: Frankfort has a very high poverty rate. It's not surprising that we do so poorly academically.
I would also bet there is a link between cell phones and low test scores.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mayor mcnugget 5 hr Richelle M Lutz 40
Harris v. Anthony Sommer 9 hr D B Cooper 2
will you people ever stop? 23 hr crockofbullcrap 8
Ivy Techa s Frankfort campus celebrates milestone Mon tpa 26
Brooke Ford Mon brutally honest 15
Cole Chambers: CC Most Wanted Nov 23 Dylan j 6
Worst Dr in frankort Dr. Wagoner Nov 22 truth seeker 20
Frankfort Dating
Find my Match

Frankfort People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Frankfort News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Frankfort

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:09 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:09AM
2014 Week 13 Fantasy Football Quarterback Rankings
NBC Sports 9:38 AM
Colts' practice squad adds Griff Whalen, sprinter Jeff Demps
Bleacher Report10:47 AM
Can Bears Emulate Pats' Successful Gameplan vs. Lions?
Bleacher Report12:46 PM
5 Bold Predictions for Washington Redskins' Week 13 Matchup
Bleacher Report 2:37 PM
Cards Sign Veteran RB Michael Bush