#43 May 18, 2008
Harrisburg Man Shot in the Face During Argument
A shooting last night in Harrisburg has one person clinging to life in the hospital and the alleged gunman still being sought.
Yeah... keep drinking that water in harrisburg. your mother mustve been working at 3 mile island during the disaster.
looks like you have a lot worse problems in harrisburg to deal with.
#44 May 18, 2008
The real question here is do we as a society make a portion of the community pay for something directly associated with public education. If one answers yes to this question, then why not make students pay special fees to participate in vocational classes or science labs that invovle higher costs to run. In fact, any optional/elective course of study should be assessed pay to participate fees to help offset the costs involved with these elective programs. Using this rationale, only the basic/required education programs would be fully funded with public funds.
Isn't it bad enough that the previous generations in this country have run up astronomical national debt and bankrupted social security? Lets screw our children/grandchildren some more, they're getting used to it!
#45 May 19, 2008
Yo idiot. Jethro's city is just an ISP address. Your TMI comments are useless.....not unless you were born and raised there. HAHA, you just mad a total a $Z out of yourself. Classic.
#46 May 19, 2008
The town listed below the name of the posting person is not necessarily where they are from. The town listed is the location of their internet service provider.
#47 Aug 3, 2008
1. Between $300,000 and $500,000 of the annual budget goes toward Tamaqua's athletic teams. Only about $100,000-$150,000 goes toward academics. I thought it was called "School" not "Gym."
2. The students on the athletic teams, in many cases, provide none of the supplies needed to actually participate in the sport. What isn't covered by the district is covered by booster fundraisers.
3. Within the last three years, the TASD cut over half of its extracurricular clubs and activities in order to save money. None of those cut were sports. Activities like the book club which hosted the Safe Trick or Treat Night, purchased books for elementary and preschool students, bought the Tamaqua banners for the light posts downtown...these groups are gone. Yet, we still have a football team that excels more at drinking in the parking lot than winning football games.
4. Someone suggested making other groups pay. First, what other groups. See number three; there are hardly any left. Furthermore, students in chorus only need music, and at this point little to none is purchased anymore. It's recycled from concerts past. Band? These students pay thousands of dollars to purchase their instruments. When do football and basketball players pay that much? Ski club? Students pay their own way.
5. Cut salaries? Put yourself in one of those classrooms with some of the offspring of Tamaqua's "best and brightest" and tell me that we're not underpaying those people. I wouldn't want to have to teach some of the scumbags that hang out downtown...
#48 Aug 8, 2008
Wow Jethro pretty harsh stuff there. I grew up in Tamaqua and did get out, and have been living in Durham,NC for ten years. My family is still there and although there are things about Tamaqua that are not desirable, I know I made lifelong friends who I could call on when in need and they would give me the shirt off their backs. There are positives to small town living. I received a good education, went on to college and graduate school and have been a professional for ten years now in Durham. There are more opportunities for my own child in the Triangle Area which is why we will be staying here. But, I do enjoy going home to visit friends and family, have fond memories, and don't appreciate people completely trashing my hometown.
#49 Aug 8, 2008
Other clubs do pay their way. Ski club/trips, German language students/germany trip, and others. IF the school decides to charge one they should charge all.
They should also change the wording from "pay to play" to " pay to participate". Enough parents already think their little Suzy or Johnny MUST get game time because they think they are all-stars,regardless of how little the kids show up for workouts and slack off at practice. Leave it as "pay to play" and then the argument can be made that Hey, we paid to have our child PLAY, so play him/her. Change it to PARTICIPATE and they can suit up, but must EARN their spot on the court or field.....as it should be.
Add your comments below
|PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10)||3 min||Richard Nixon||51,488|
|PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10)||1 hr||Tab||3,998|
|PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10)||Sep 15||Jeremy||183|
|Why Queen Cleopatra was definitely not Black (Dec '05)||Sep 8||Jeff||9,919|
|24 Charged In Pittsburgh-Area Mortgage Fraud; T... (Feb '08)||Sep 6||BUGH MAN||424|
|Man testifies about fatal fight (Jun '07)||Aug '14||Ashley||6|
|A Dozen People Out of Their Homes Due to Buildi...||Aug '14||Robert Clark||1|
Find what you want!
Search Frackville Forum Now