Tamaqua athletes must pay to play

Tamaqua athletes must pay to play

There are 47 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 15, 2008, titled Tamaqua athletes must pay to play. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Trying to balance a budget that has a half-million-dollar shortfall, Tamaqua Area School Board will require athletes to pay $10 a year for each scholastic sport in which they participate, and will not fund a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Interesting

Allentown, PA

#1 May 15, 2008
WOW....sports seems to be singled out here. What about other extra-curricular activities such as marching band for one example. They use school moneys for things such as uniforms and travel expenses. It has been proved that students in activites maintain higher GPA's and less behavioral problems in school so we should encourage it. How about looking at other ways of cutting costs?

Although teachers are very valuable, I hear many complain about extras they are sometimes either required to do or asked to do. One such is having to stay late for parent teacher conferences. Some teachers are over paid and some deserve high pay but their pay is based on length of service and years of experience. Maybe it should also be based on performance as well, like most other jobs. Maybe then their would be money going to the teachers that deserve it and maybe money left over for the kids.

Since: Apr 08

Easton, PA

#2 May 15, 2008
I bet there is not one athlete who doesn't have a cell phone. Most have iPods and all the other bangs and whistles.$10 bucks is nothing for a teen today. If they don't have it, collect aluminum cans, deliver papers, have a bake sale. EARN IT ! Another valuable lesson would be learned as well as the excellent learning experience team sports provide.
laughs

United States

#3 May 15, 2008
This is about the dumbest idea I've ever seen. These new fees will bring in six one-hundredths of one percent of the school budget. It will take more money to collect, track who has paid, and otherwise administer the fees than it will raise. As the previous poster commented, it singles out one activity unfairly and create unnecessary distractions for student/athletes and coaches with no corresponding value added.
laughs

United States

#4 May 15, 2008
Yes, the valuable lesson is that athletes are being singled out unfairly vs. other student activities because some adults have a bias against athletes.
Easton resident wrote:
I bet there is not one athlete who doesn't have a cell phone. Most have iPods and all the other bangs and whistles.$10 bucks is nothing for a teen today. If they don't have it, collect aluminum cans, deliver papers, have a bake sale. EARN IT ! Another valuable lesson would be learned as well as the excellent learning experience team sports provide.
Ideas

King Of Prussia, PA

#5 May 15, 2008
Maybe it's time that schools start operating bingo once a week (like churches) to support athletics. Hey they have the facilities to do things like this. Maybe do more rentals of facilities....school cafeterias to catering companies for banquets in the cafeteria on Sundays and summertime. Rent sports facilities to summer sports camps. Other ideas?
Jim

Louisville, CO

#6 May 15, 2008
Easton resident wrote:
I agree. Coming up with the $10 should not be any hardship whatsoever. The total amount taken in may be small compared to the overall school budget but the school realizes the burden put on the property owner. The property owner should not have to subsidize sports, that should be the responsibility of the student and/or parents. And while you're at it, the property owner should not have to subsidize food courts, olympic size swimming pools, band rooms,(how about using the gym) band uniforms, and who knows what other unnceccesary perks.
TRIPLE K

Reading, PA

#7 May 15, 2008
EAST0N RESIDENT ,.... A bake sale, I wouldnt eat the brownies !!!!They may make you feel , well, you know!!!
Pay to Play

Lansdale, PA

#8 May 15, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. Coming up with the $10 should not be any hardship whatsoever. The total amount taken in may be small compared to the overall school budget but the school realizes the burden put on the property owner. The property owner should not have to subsidize sports, that should be the responsibility of the student and/or parents. And while you're at it, the property owner should not have to subsidize food courts, olympic size swimming pools, band rooms,(how about using the gym) band uniforms, and who knows what other unnceccesary perks.
Maybe $10.00 is not a big deal in Tamaqua, but I know many an athelete in Easton, Bethlehem and Allentown who have no real family, per se, and would be hard pressed to get an extra $10. Why doesn't the booster club step up it's operations and require all athletes to participate in order to play?

That stipend should also apply to the band, theater groups, etc. if it is applicable to the athletes. What' fair is what's fair.

“Get out while you can!!!!”

Since: May 07

Allentown

#9 May 15, 2008
These fees are nothing new we paid a nominal fee in the 80's to play as well as I think $14 for long term insurance at Allen. This applied even to revenue generating sports like football and basketball. Not a big deal or cost.
Jim

Louisville, CO

#10 May 15, 2008
Ideas wrote:
Maybe it's time that schools start operating bingo once a week (like churches) to support athletics. Hey they have the facilities to do things like this. Maybe do more rentals of facilities....school cafeterias to catering companies for banquets in the cafeteria on Sundays and summertime. Rent sports facilities to summer sports camps. Other ideas?
Hey, whatever it takes to get the burden off the property owner. We've been singled out long enough.

Parkland school district: Wake up! You could learn something from Tamaqua.
Nothing new

Wayne, PA

#12 May 15, 2008
East Penn is $15 and has been for a couple years.
TRIPLE K

Reading, PA

#13 May 15, 2008
Jethro you da man
Unbelievable

Allentown, PA

#14 May 15, 2008
Wow Jethro where in Harrisburg do you live? Last I check there was a farm or two around that part of PA and I would bet my life crack is as readily accessible there as it is anywhere in the US!!! Grow up.
Newbomb Turk

Louisville, CO

#15 May 15, 2008
Jethro wrote:
Tamaqua, PA. The armpit of the north. They would pay more than 10 bucks for their type of sports.
1. Sheep Wrestling (waders optional)
2. Cow Tipping
3. Tonsil Hockey (with their sister)
4. Basket weaving (required for GED)
5. Mine pit jumping (has become popular).
6. Crack and Field(sorry..Track/Field)with the get-high jump, javelin (pratice by throwing at each other), Buck-Shot Put, 100 meter dash to the sheep,
and whatever other redneck inbred game they can think of than involves sheep or their sister.
If the kids were smart......they would move out when the get enough sense....then again that could take awhile.
Jethro,

How about hedgehog hurling?
Funny Fred

Allentown, PA

#17 May 15, 2008
Jethro is just mad because he was picked on in high school and never stood a chance to be on any team. It is ok ... life will get better.
ReDickUless

United States

#18 May 15, 2008
How much of the ticket prices will the athletes get from the gate receipts. Athletics are just as important as academics. "A sound mind in a sound body."

Are they going to start charging for text books too?

Grades are important but the student-athlete is a figurehead in the community. There is much more press coverage related to sports than there is to academics.

As such, these athletes are embassadors of the community and bring positive image to the district.

If you want to save money, negotiate better salary contracts. There are districts that pay their bus drivers 6 hours overtime to charge their cellphones at night, teachers that retire with guarenteed pensions at 80% of their salary, multiple administrators at $125,000 to $175,000 per year salaries.

If it's "only $10", all you bleeding heart LIBERALS out there can pay it. As usual, its TAX, TAX, TAX instead of reducing spending.
ReDickUless

United States

#19 May 15, 2008
...ambassadors...
Jethro

Harrisburg, PA

#20 May 15, 2008
Newbomb Turk wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethro,
How about hedgehog hurling?
Good one. Also, 110 meter Hurldling over the barstool.
Jethro

Harrisburg, PA

#21 May 15, 2008
Funny Fred wrote:
Jethro is just mad because he was picked on in high school and never stood a chance to be on any team. It is ok ... life will get better.
HAHA...not even close. Freddy boy must be from TAMAQUA or a very close suburb..maybe Crackadoo (sorry Mcadoo). Life is good as long as we get to watch Tamaqua stay in the stone age.
Jethro

Harrisburg, PA

#22 May 15, 2008
Jethro wrote:
Tamaqua, PA. The armpit of the north. They would pay more than 10 bucks for their type of sports.
1. Sheep Wrestling (waders optional)
2. Cow Tipping
3. Tonsil Hockey (with their sister)
4. Basket weaving (required for GED)
5. Mine pit jumping (has become popular).
6. Crack and Field(sorry..Track/Field)with the get-high jump, javelin (pratice by throwing at each other), Buck-Shot Put, 100 meter dash to the sheep,
and whatever other redneck inbred game they can think of than involves sheep or their sister.
If the kids were smart......they would move out when the get enough sense....then again that could take awhile.
WHOOPS....can't forget the classics:

7. The Mile Run..for roadkill dinner.
8. Weightlifting (with Pops 72' Gremlin).
9. Swimming (with the rest of the brown trout floating in that toilet town)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frackville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Son: - I assumed the worst' Aug 20 Dirty Dick da Biker 14
Thinking of moving to Shenandoah Heights, PA Aug 18 bella 4
thinking of moving to Girardville Aug 18 bella 2
Online Dossier of Mark Kessler (Dec '15) Aug 14 noseyfucker 5
Amber alert!! Missing girl Please Help!!!! Aug 14 noseyfucker 3
Shenandoah pa police (Oct '13) Jul 25 Chendo for life 2
News Busted on Boardwalk: Marchalk apprehended in Ne... Jul '17 Bermuda Triangle 13

Frackville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frackville Mortgages