Pottsville Salvation Army kettle gets...

Pottsville Salvation Army kettle gets anonymous $3,000 gift

There are 30 comments on the The Morning Call story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Pottsville Salvation Army kettle gets anonymous $3,000 gift. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The Salvation Army of Pottsville has no guarantee of making its $60,000 Red Kettle goal for the year, but one donation moved it rapidly in the right direction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
amanda

Easton, PA

#1 Dec 12, 2007
The last line of the articles says it will "sort of help us out". Doesn't sound like they are very appreciative to me.
Suz

Quakertown, PA

#3 Dec 12, 2007
As coming from Pottsville, diction isn't a strong suit of many there. That "sort of helps us out," is translation for it really helps them in reaching their goal of $60,000 for the holiday season.:)
Santa lives

Whitehall, PA

#4 Dec 12, 2007
amanda wrote:
The last line of the articles says it will "sort of help us out". Doesn't sound like they are very appreciative to me.
That remark was the words of one individual. Let's hope the organization as a whole does not feel the same. This was a gift and the recipiants of his generosity will be most greatful, I'm sure.
dont get it

Rochester, NY

#5 Dec 12, 2007
Amanda I agree with you!

I wish more people would give. Even if it is buying a coffee for a stranger. I try to do that as often as possible to set a good example.
KJE

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Dec 12, 2007
I agree, not a great quote from the Salvation Army. I'll still give to them, but they should be happy to this press, in the long run, might be worth more than the 3K, because of the readership who sees this....hopefully he was misquoted.

“AOL? Seriously?”

Since: Jul 07

Pawleys Island, SC

#7 Dec 12, 2007
KJE wrote:
I agree, not a great quote from the Salvation Army. I'll still give to them, but they should be happy to this press, in the long run, might be worth more than the 3K, because of the readership who sees this....hopefully he was misquoted.
Or, the publicity could work against them. How many people will now either not donate at all, or reduce their donations, while thinking that the $3,000 donation will make up for their lack thereof?

“I've now been in 57 states”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8 Dec 12, 2007
Judge Judy wrote:
The teen should have kept the money. You should see the shit the Salvation Army gives families. It isn't fit to eat. The people in charge probably pocket that money themselves because it sure doesn't go towards decent food for needy families.
Do you have solid documented proof to support your allegation that Salvation Army leadership is stealing donations? That is a serious allegation and I'm sure that you have proof beyond that of your useless opinion.
salvation army

AOL

#9 Dec 12, 2007
Judge Judy wrote:
The teen should have kept the money. You should see the shit the Salvation Army gives families. It isn't fit to eat. The people in charge probably pocket that money themselves because it sure doesn't go towards decent food for needy families.
I used to donate to the SA but after visting the store, I do not anymore. When I donate, I want my items to be sold very cheaply, if not given away, to people in need. Some of the prices in that store are outrageous for used items. How can poor people afford it? Now, I realize that it takes money to run the SA but I don't want my old things that I donate priced high and then nobody can afford it. I just advertise free stuff or a curb alert now. I feel better knowing my things are being used again and not sitting in the SA store over-priced and not being bought.
Dumb Dutchman

Allentown, PA

#10 Dec 12, 2007
Judge Judy wrote:
The teen should have kept the money. You should see the shit the Salvation Army gives families. It isn't fit to eat. The people in charge probably pocket that money themselves because it sure doesn't go towards decent food for needy families.
Yes...Let's see the proof please.
Rich Old Dude

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Dec 12, 2007
MY BAD!! I meant to put in the dollar that was in my other pocket. I am going to need that money back.
Sorta

Allentown, PA

#12 Dec 12, 2007
Sorta help out? Thats one kind donation.It should help out plenty.Thank you to whomever donated that,Ill say it for everyone
whatever

Whitehall, PA

#13 Dec 12, 2007
amanda wrote:
The last line of the articles says it will "sort of help us out". Doesn't sound like they are very appreciative to me.
SORT OF HELPS OUT? THAT GUY SHOULD GO ASK FOR HIS MONEY BACK. THAT IS JUST DOWNRIGHT F'N UNGRATEFUL.
CONSIDERING HOW THIS ECONOMY SUX RIGHT NOW - GAS PRICES, OIL PRICES, & JUST THE PRICES OF EVERYTHING LATELY THEY SHOULD SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT THEY GET.
THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AROUND AND STOP HELPING PEOPLE THAT SIT AT HOME ALL DAY AND WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO THEM. START HELPING HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GO TO WORK EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT TO THE WELFARE TRASH ALL THE TIME. WHEN PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR - GET FREE OIL, FREE HOUSING, & FREE FOOD AND THEN ON TOP OF IT WALK AWAY WITH $8000-9000 IN INCOME TAX REFUNDS I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.

“Listen - Looney Tunes”

Since: Mar 07

been around

#14 Dec 12, 2007
Rich Old Dude wrote:
MY BAD!! I meant to put in the dollar that was in my other pocket. I am going to need that money back.
Right with ya, DUDE!! just look for the 2 geezers in flannel shirts wearing glasses!!
anonymous

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Dec 12, 2007
It shouldn't be a suprise. This is the time for giving.
anonymous

Bethlehem, PA

#17 Dec 12, 2007
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
SORT OF HELPS OUT? THAT GUY SHOULD GO ASK FOR HIS MONEY BACK. THAT IS JUST DOWNRIGHT F'N UNGRATEFUL.
CONSIDERING HOW THIS ECONOMY SUX RIGHT NOW - GAS PRICES, OIL PRICES, & JUST THE PRICES OF EVERYTHING LATELY THEY SHOULD SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT THEY GET.
THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AROUND AND STOP HELPING PEOPLE THAT SIT AT HOME ALL DAY AND WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO THEM. START HELPING HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GO TO WORK EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT TO THE WELFARE TRASH ALL THE TIME. WHEN PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR - GET FREE OIL, FREE HOUSING, & FREE FOOD AND THEN ON TOP OF IT WALK AWAY WITH $8000-9000 IN INCOME TAX REFUNDS I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.
It's a shame you have so much bitterness in your heart.
Joe

United States

#18 Dec 12, 2007
Whoever is getting $8-9k in income tax refunds is an idiot. That's an interest free loan to the IRS!
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
SORT OF HELPS OUT? THAT GUY SHOULD GO ASK FOR HIS MONEY BACK. THAT IS JUST DOWNRIGHT F'N UNGRATEFUL.
CONSIDERING HOW THIS ECONOMY SUX RIGHT NOW - GAS PRICES, OIL PRICES, & JUST THE PRICES OF EVERYTHING LATELY THEY SHOULD SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT THEY GET.
THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AROUND AND STOP HELPING PEOPLE THAT SIT AT HOME ALL DAY AND WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO THEM. START HELPING HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GO TO WORK EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT TO THE WELFARE TRASH ALL THE TIME. WHEN PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR - GET FREE OIL, FREE HOUSING, & FREE FOOD AND THEN ON TOP OF IT WALK AWAY WITH $8000-9000 IN INCOME TAX REFUNDS I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.
anonymous

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Dec 12, 2007
salvation army wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to donate to the SA but after visting the store, I do not anymore. When I donate, I want my items to be sold very cheaply, if not given away, to people in need. Some of the prices in that store are outrageous for used items. How can poor people afford it? Now, I realize that it takes money to run the SA but I don't want my old things that I donate priced high and then nobody can afford it. I just advertise free stuff or a curb alert now. I feel better knowing my things are being used again and not sitting in the SA store over-priced and not being bought.
I agree. Someone decided one day that charging less was somehow taking money away. It's a donation!! That means they get it for free!!! Your right about the people who go to get second hand stuff. They are usually very poor looking. I shop there myself once in awhile. If Jesus treated people that way he would not have lasted long enough to die for us ungrateful sinners. Salvation Army wake up and be grateful for what you receive.
totally agree

Whitehall, PA

#20 Dec 12, 2007
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
SORT OF HELPS OUT? THAT GUY SHOULD GO ASK FOR HIS MONEY BACK. THAT IS JUST DOWNRIGHT F'N UNGRATEFUL.
CONSIDERING HOW THIS ECONOMY SUX RIGHT NOW - GAS PRICES, OIL PRICES, & JUST THE PRICES OF EVERYTHING LATELY THEY SHOULD SHUT UP AND TAKE WHAT THEY GET.
THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AROUND AND STOP HELPING PEOPLE THAT SIT AT HOME ALL DAY AND WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO THEM. START HELPING HARD WORKING PEOPLE THAT GO TO WORK EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT TO THE WELFARE TRASH ALL THE TIME. WHEN PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO WORK ALL YEAR - GET FREE OIL, FREE HOUSING, & FREE FOOD AND THEN ON TOP OF IT WALK AWAY WITH $8000-9000 IN INCOME TAX REFUNDS I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.
AMEN TO THAT. THIS WORLD IS MESSED UP!!
totally agree

Whitehall, PA

#21 Dec 12, 2007
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>It's a shame you have so much bitterness in your heart.
you must be one of those that get the 8 grand in income taxes cuz you don't work. bravo to you.
Noname

United States

#22 Dec 12, 2007
Ryan wrote:
What a disgusting story. What kind of bumbling buttfuc.k wastes that kind of money?
Nice catch, sensors!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frackville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 headed to court for attempted homicide Dec 6 hillbillies 1
News Why Queen Cleopatra was definitely not Black (Dec '05) Nov 24 Normandie Kent 9,972
News One dead in Kline Twp. shooting Nov '16 In The Loop 2
News 50th annual Tamaqua haunt draws clowns... Nov '16 Homeland Security 1
News News Briefing: Sept. 2-8, 2016 Sep '16 HIV positive news 1
shenendoah man aquitted for assaulting EX poli... Sep '16 get with God 1
News Whew! Despite Jewish-sounding name, Penn State ... (Nov '11) Jun '16 Youknow 5

Frackville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frackville Mortgages