Police: Trucker drove too fast for Sc...

Police: Trucker drove too fast for Schuylkill road conditions

There are 29 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 2, 2009, titled Police: Trucker drove too fast for Schuylkill road conditions. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The driver of a tractor-trailer that jack-knifed on Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County and went down a 20-foot embankment Wednesday will be cited for driving at an unsafe speed for road conditions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pfffffft

South River, NJ

#1 Jan 2, 2009
The driver and his company should pay to repair the guardrail, too. No way should we taxpayers foot the bill for this one.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#2 Jan 2, 2009
Pfffffft wrote:
The driver and his company should pay to repair the guardrail, too. No way should we taxpayers foot the bill for this one.
I agree. And while I'm glad this man wasn't hurt, I'm also VERY glad that he didn't hurt or kill anyone else w/ his careless driving.
Pillows the Space Clown

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Jan 2, 2009
Pfffffft wrote:
The driver and his company should pay to repair the guardrail, too. No way should we taxpayers foot the bill for this one.
The state does go after reimbursement for guardrail.

Typical of our interstates - truckers clog up a highway b/c they drive like morons.

I wonder how much this cost society in terms of gas burned, traffic delays, etc.

“Go O's!”

Since: Dec 07

Reading, PA

#4 Jan 2, 2009
It's obviously George W. Bush's fault here. He's ignored global "climate change" ( formerly known as "global warming" see: ManBearPig for more info on that) and caused these accidents to happen!

Obama will get them to slow down in bad weather.
Once he's sworn in all our problems will be gone!!!!!
Save us oh wonderful one....
oh, can I haz cheesburger?

Since: May 07

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Jan 2, 2009
So how fast was he going and what would be considered a safe speed for those conditions? The PA interstate system should take a page out of New Jersey's DMV book on this one. Jersey has the speed limit signs that are electronic and adjust the speed according to the conditions. But by no means am I saying the driver of the truck shouldn't have used logic. You should always be in control of your vehicle. The changable speed limits signs should only act as a reminder.
Screwy Louie

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Jan 2, 2009
Text messaging to his wife; Hi honey,its dang cold up here, the sno?????????WTF,,nnooooooo,,ah hhhhh.....
Bleed Black and Orange

Silver Spring, MD

#7 Jan 2, 2009
What?!!! A truck driver going too fast?!!! That almost never happens!!!

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#8 Jan 2, 2009
Pfffffft wrote:
The driver and his company should pay to repair the guardrail, too. No way should we taxpayers foot the bill for this one.
What about cars that run into and damage guard rails?

They are not saying exactly how fast he was going, but even if it was 5 mph over, he could still get ticketed for it.

You people whine about truckers, but if it were not for truckers, shipping would extremely expensive or extremely slow.

Also, the people that complain about truckers, ride in a truck once. You would not believe all the idi0t moves by cars and SUVs. People talking on phones cutting in front of a truck hauling a 48 foot trailer with over 40,000 lbs. on it. I've seen it.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#9 Jan 2, 2009
Hoofty wrote:
<quoted text>
What about cars that run into and damage guard rails?
They are not saying exactly how fast he was going, but even if it was 5 mph over, he could still get ticketed for it.
You people whine about truckers, but if it were not for truckers, shipping would extremely expensive or extremely slow.
Also, the people that complain about truckers, ride in a truck once. You would not believe all the idi0t moves by cars and SUVs. People talking on phones cutting in front of a truck hauling a 48 foot trailer with over 40,000 lbs. on it. I've seen it.
I have nothing at all against truckers, I've seen lots of drivers in car cut in front of big rigs; I DO have a "thing" about careless drivers. If this article is correct, the man didn't swerve to avoid another vehicle, he was driving at an unsafe speed for the road condition.

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 2, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> I have nothing at all against truckers, I've seen lots of drivers in car cut in front of big rigs; I DO have a "thing" about careless drivers. If this article is correct, the man didn't swerve to avoid another vehicle, he was driving at an unsafe speed for the road condition.
And if he was driving at an unsafe speed, then he should be punished. I have no problem with that at all.

What I do have a problem with is that when there is an accident with a trucker, it is always assumed that it was the trucker's fault. Most of the population comes out with the "truckers are the scourge of the earth" comments and it sickens me. If a car has an accident, everybody feels sorry for the victim and their driving isn't under nearly the scruitiny as it would be a trucker.

For the record, I have never driven a truck, but I have rode in them. A close friend is a truck driver and I was in the freight logistics field.
Fred

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Jan 2, 2009
Gee, what a surprise. I see Truckers speeding in Snow cover Roads all the time. They don't seem to care about our Lives. There Time sheets are more important to them.
come on people

Allentown, PA

#12 Jan 2, 2009
Why do you all have to feel like you are so much better than everyone else. The guy made a mistake. Punitive action against this man won't change anything. I'd say he payed for his carelessness already by the result of his actions. Have him pay to replace the guardrail and call it at day. Stop feeling so high and mighty safely annonymous behind you internet connections.
Valley Chief

Albrightsville, PA

#13 Jan 2, 2009
Hoofty - you are a jack a$$. Give me shipping by train and smaller truck / vans for urban delivery. The sheer fact you would defend the truck going at an excess rate of speed shows your lack of intelligence
Hoofty wrote:
<quoted text>
What about cars that run into and damage guard rails?
They are not saying exactly how fast he was going, but even if it was 5 mph over, he could still get ticketed for it.
You people whine about truckers, but if it were not for truckers, shipping would extremely expensive or extremely slow.
Also, the people that complain about truckers, ride in a truck once. You would not believe all the idi0t moves by cars and SUVs. People talking on phones cutting in front of a truck hauling a 48 foot trailer with over 40,000 lbs. on it. I've seen it.
Trucker Ducker

Allentown, PA

#14 Jan 2, 2009
Well, here we go again in 2009--starting right off with another truck sideways off the road. How many of these truck accident reports did we read about in the MC last year? One or two or three per week?

How long will it take and how many fatalities until the NJ/PA troopers start cracking down on all the truckers who won't keep to the speed limits and won't stay right and pass left. As the records show and as any of us on the Interstates can attest, there are some crude dudes out there piloting 18-wheelers who need to be roped in ASAP before they kill somebody.
OH MY

Macungie, PA

#15 Jan 2, 2009
Trucker Ducker wrote:
Well, here we go again in 2009--starting right off with another truck sideways off the road. How many of these truck accident reports did we read about in the MC last year? One or two or three per week?
How long will it take and how many fatalities until the NJ/PA troopers start cracking down on all the truckers who won't keep to the speed limits and won't stay right and pass left. As the records show and as any of us on the Interstates can attest, there are some crude dudes out there piloting 18-wheelers who need to be roped in ASAP before they kill somebody.
Well let's see maybe the media should report EVERY ACCIDENT CAR, TRUCK BICYCLE ETC..... See it's about what makes headlines a truck sprawled accross 3 lanes will do it everytime front page news!!!> Meanwhile some bonehead that rolls his car accross 3 lanes won't even be mentioned.. I guess the big truck big news mentality continues......I'd be willing to bet car accidents far out number truck accidents... Look up the numbers you might be surprised ...
and YES due to popular belief there are BONEHEADS DRIVING cars as well a s trucks..
Trucker Ducker

Allentown, PA

#16 Jan 3, 2009
It's not anti-truck predjudice--it's the laws of physics. A car skidding across three lanes will do far less damage than an 18-wheeler out of control due to the mass and momentum of the larger vehicle. A car driver can make a mistake, but the potential for damage to others is far less the consequences if the truck driver has the same miscue.

That's why truck traffic is regulated on a more stringent basis than car traffic. Boneheadedness in a truck makes for a bigger splat on the road.

The breakdown comes at the point of enforcement of those regulations---which is lax at best. Given the trucker behavior on the roads around here, any confidence in "self-regulation" within the trucking industry is foolhardy. It is time to ratchet up the laws on the books.

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#17 Jan 3, 2009
Valley Chief wrote:
Hoofty - you are a jack ****. Give me shipping by train and smaller truck / vans for urban delivery. The sheer fact you would defend the truck going at an excess rate of speed shows your lack of intelligence
<quoted text>
Valley Chief, your IQ equals the temperature of frozen water.

I did not defend the truck going at an excessIVE rate of speed. You might want to "bone up" on your word usage.

If you could read, and comprehend, I said if he was driving at an excessive speed, then he SHOULD be punished. I just get tired of hearing all the whining about truckers when cars cause way more accidents than trucks do.

You want it shipped by train? No problem. Your package from L.A. to Allentown will take approximately 6 weeks. No, that's not an exaggeration. If necessary, I will explain.

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#18 Jan 3, 2009
Trucker Ducker wrote:
It's not anti-truck predjudice--it's the laws of physics. A car skidding across three lanes will do far less damage than an 18-wheeler out of control due to the mass and momentum of the larger vehicle. A car driver can make a mistake, but the potential for damage to others is far less the consequences if the truck driver has the same miscue.
That's why truck traffic is regulated on a more stringent basis than car traffic. Boneheadedness in a truck makes for a bigger splat on the road.
The breakdown comes at the point of enforcement of those regulations---which is lax at best. Given the trucker behavior on the roads around here, any confidence in "self-regulation" within the trucking industry is foolhardy. It is time to ratchet up the laws on the books.
Truckers are already under very stringent guidelines.

As the person said to you. There may be bonehead truckers, and I won't debate that, but there are bonehead drivers as well. Ride in a rig a couple of times and maybe you will understand.
OH MY

Macungie, PA

#19 Jan 4, 2009
[QUOTE who="HooftyYou want it shipped by train? No problem. Your package from L.A. to Allentown will take approximately 6 weeks. No, that's not an exaggeration. If necessary, I will explain.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh 6 weeks?? Not hardly my fine feathered friend try a transit time 5 to 7 days tops from California via intermodal network.. 3 from Chicago...

“I get to see an Angel everyday”

Since: Dec 08

Allentown, PA

#20 Jan 5, 2009
OH MY wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh 6 weeks?? Not hardly my fine feathered friend try a transit time 5 to 7 days tops from California via intermodal network.. 3 from Chicago...
No actually you are wrong. I've worked in freight logistics. Do you know how many different hubs you would have to travel through from LA to NJ?

6 Weeks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frackville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Son: - I assumed the worst' Aug 20 Dirty Dick da Biker 14
Thinking of moving to Shenandoah Heights, PA Aug 18 bella 4
thinking of moving to Girardville Aug 18 bella 2
Online Dossier of Mark Kessler (Dec '15) Aug 14 noseyfucker 5
Amber alert!! Missing girl Please Help!!!! Aug 14 noseyfucker 3
Shenandoah pa police (Oct '13) Jul 25 Chendo for life 2
News Busted on Boardwalk: Marchalk apprehended in Ne... Jul '17 Bermuda Triangle 13

Frackville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Frackville Mortgages