40 years after riots, a different York

40 years after riots, a different York

There are 84 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jul 19, 2009, titled 40 years after riots, a different York. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Noreen Freeland always keeps an eye out for trouble in her South Hartley Street neighborhood, something that has earned her the ire of drug dealers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Semi-literate

York, PA

#83 Jul 23, 2009
i recall wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct. Thanks for the enlightening. Lazy me for not looking it up.
On the 6th grade information. I have a brother who was removed from school during his in 6th grade year and placed to work in a laundry at a home for the aged by our parents and school administrators.. His learning disability "Dyslexia." back then Dyslexia was vertually unheard of. Basically the learning handicap was not formally addressed in educational psychology field. My parents conceeded to let the school label my brother as mentally slow there fore placing him in classes for mental retarded. He proceeded to have a very strong dislike for school and education. No one would listen to what he had to say. He became angery and frustrated. The year was 1962. While all his siblings graduated high school and most of us later went on to college he worked in foudries, factories and hard menial labor attempting to read the newspaper and teach himself. Being married and having a relationship with his child was a struggle. His marriage lasted 10years. In his 30's he was diagnosised with Dyslexia he is now in his 50's and from his early 40's has he began the process of education and plans someday to recieve his GED. My wish for him it could be a High School Diploma as he truly was victim of his enviroment and society. But none the less I am virtually and literally proud of my brother and his life achievements.
You have mentioned a real flaw in our "old" (and still, sometimes, our newer) approach to education.
I have crossed pathes with a number of folks over the years who were treated in similar ways and ruined, including a brother-in-law. Strides have been made in diagnosis but because educational funding is often not a hign priority, a lot of kids get missed. this, of course, is not the same as the whole social promotion business. If you want a real shock, look at the numbers of students entering colleges and universities who are deficient in math, English, or both, yet have diplomas (and often good grades from) thousands of high schools all over the country.
TIA this is africa

Bensalem, PA

#84 Jul 24, 2009
been there wrote:
The citizens of york should applaud the actions of the newberry street boys during the riots because this city would have been burned to the ground if not for those brave warriors
Yea what a good laugh,they all are crackheads,Chuck,Darrly,Trent let me stop naming.F-ck all them crackheads,you must be a crackhead to.Witch one are you.Fake ass Newberry Sreet Boys aka Newberry Crackhead Boys. The truth,a fact. LMAO
Man in Black

Silver Spring, MD

#85 Jul 24, 2009
been there wrote:
The citizens of york should applaud the actions of the newberry street boys during the riots because this city would have been burned to the ground if not for those brave warriors
Driving down some of the streets today, I wonder if a fire might not have prevented much of what I am seeing now.
Too Funny

Downingtown, PA

#86 Aug 15, 2009
Regardless of color, the only difference I see is more LAZY Free Loaders sucking off of the Public Welfare System, more drugs junkies, hoes and street trash throughout the York City. . . York City, Liberal America at itís best. . .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frackville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man stabs sister after quarrel (Feb '14) Sep 20 Rat Packer 22
News Missing teen found dead Sep 8 TRUMP 2020 14
News Busted on Boardwalk: Marchalk apprehended in Ne... Aug 28 ImTiredOf_It 19
Shenandoah pa police (Oct '13) Aug 26 JameysB 3
thinking of moving to Girardville Aug 26 JameysB 3
News Son: - I assumed the worst' Aug '17 Dirty Dick da Biker 14
Thinking of moving to Shenandoah Heights, PA Aug '17 bella 4

Frackville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance