40 years after riots, a different York

40 years after riots, a different York

There are 84 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jul 19, 2009, titled 40 years after riots, a different York. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Noreen Freeland always keeps an eye out for trouble in her South Hartley Street neighborhood, something that has earned her the ire of drug dealers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
gorilla gaurd

Columbia, SC

#1 Jul 19, 2009
Our family lived in the neighborhood (on West North Street) and patronized the North End Cigar Store regularly. My Dad used to send me for cigarettes just before the store closed at 9:00 P.M. This was in the mid to late 50s. At the time Art Morris was there, then a young man. An older guy, I think his name was Shuntz ran the show.

Dad called the place "Shuntzies". At the time, they had a card room in the back which included a couple of pin ball machines, one for fun and another that "paid off". I heard that one could place race bets at Shuntzies and I'm sure money was involved in the card games.

But the point is that urban strife had not yet reached that part of York. Our neighborhood was tough, but still safe for us kids.

The most exciting thing was the the residence of Gene Reynolds of the 101 Ranch Boys, a C and W group that performed for years.
PeteB

AOL

#2 Jul 19, 2009
Well written story - one of the best I've read from the YDR in a long time.
Celebrate Diversity

Lafayette Hill, PA

#4 Jul 19, 2009
What a disgusting place our once great country has become. Savage, dependent, and angy that their handouts aren't larger.

Our cities have turned into the exact hell holes as the native counties of the current residents.

Africa is a disaster. Mexico is a disaster. Now so are our cities where these two demographics have set up shop. Why do we believe that we can change thousands of years of evolution by simply moving people to a different location? Why is it that we are evil whites, yet everyone wants to live where we have developed?

Diversity is a plague and destroyer of American and European society.
DARK STAR

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jul 19, 2009
I'm offering a grand for Lille Belle's pistol. Some retired cop has It. Why would she want to ride down a barricaded street ? And why would a cop
remove the barricade ? Both stupid.
Semi-literate

United States

#6 Jul 19, 2009
DARK STAR wrote:
I'm offering a grand for Lille Belle's pistol. Some retired cop has It. Why would she want to ride down a barricaded street ? And why would a cop
And where does the story come from that there was a gun in the Allen's car? And if there was a gun, why would a cop suppress the only evidence that would have, just perhaps, justified the NSBers opening fire? The "barricades story" (new version) sounds so thin and fishy, it is painful.
Obama the Pussey

Tuscaloosa, AL

#7 Jul 19, 2009
nothing has change in 40 years. The city is still filled with lazy minorities destroying the quality of life
Tony

Port Huron, MI

#8 Jul 19, 2009
Why does the Sunday News keep dredging up this old story? You can count on 2 or 3 features a year in the Sunday paper recounting the real and imagined events of 40 years ago. Almost all of the participants are dead. Why not focus on trying to solve the problems of today, which are more violent, than going over the problems of the past?

“The Horse Stops Here”

Since: May 08

Littlestown,Pa

#9 Jul 19, 2009
DARK STAR wrote:
Why not just donate that grand to the red cross for the chestnut st fire victims?
Real Crime

Lafayette Hill, PA

#10 Jul 19, 2009
John Waynes Horse wrote:
<quoted text>Why not just donate that grand to the red cross for the chestnut st fire victims?
Because they were too stupid and greedy to spend $8 a month to insure their property. Eff 'em. They would be the last people to help anyone else.
NoYork

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jul 19, 2009
Tony wrote:
Why does the Sunday News keep dredging up this old story? You can count on 2 or 3 features a year in the Sunday paper recounting the real and imagined events of 40 years ago. Almost all of the participants are dead. Why not focus on trying to solve the problems of today, which are more violent, than going over the problems of the past?
Because they're hoping for a response, they will continue to beat this horse reminding everyone how much we hate each other until riots break out in the streets and they can say.....> told ya so ( and sell a ton of papers ) a form of job security
LibertyFirst

Dallastown, PA

#12 Jul 19, 2009
It's not my grandma's city. Much more diverse!!
DARK STAR

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jul 19, 2009
As a matter of fact my wife did donate to the fire
victims. On a side note, what I do with my money
Is not your business. Whatever gave you the idea It was ?
this covered

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Jul 19, 2009
DARK STAR wrote:
Didn't she also get out of the car and get in the trunk.

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#15 Jul 19, 2009
Actually this started in 68 at york high when several people were stabbed in a large fight there,but the paper hasnt said a word about it.then it festered til 69 when all heck broke loose.i know because i lived there.
I knows it all

Inkster, MI

#16 Jul 19, 2009
John Waynes Horse wrote:
Actually this started in 68 at york high when several people were stabbed in a large fight there,but the paper hasnt said a word about it.then it festered til 69 when all heck broke loose.i know because i lived there.
Correct...seems as everything that happens in the ENTIRE WORLD, you lived there or were there. What a supreme phony.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#17 Jul 19, 2009
Wow. I didn't think people still took LSD but Mike Argento convinced me otherwise.
dash

York, PA

#18 Jul 19, 2009
Of course it is only the white ctacker that is racist, imagine. Hey, YDR, keep bringing it up. Do you remember there was a white cop killed while the blacks were acting like idiots? Lets pity the poor dumb black folk. Lets allow them to keep up the drug fights, the robberies, and blame us white folks. keep supporting them. And let's not forget about the illegals, they deserve my money also.

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#19 Jul 19, 2009
I knows it all wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct...seems as everything that happens in the ENTIRE WORLD, you lived there or were there. What a supreme phony.
i lived in york from 1960 until 1982. i graduated from york high in the mid 70s.lived at 729 chestnut st from 60 to 65 then lived on york st 1 block over from 65 til 82.

“The Horse Stops Here”

Littlestown,Pa

#20 Jul 19, 2009
I knows it all wrote:
<quoted text>
are you jealous
Bigger T

Fort Wayne, IN

#21 Jul 19, 2009
John Waynes Horse wrote:
Don't forget about Chester Roach in 1968 (Hoffman's Meat Market). He's the one who shot 38 innocent black people and never went to court because of a "lack of evidence." The grand jury did not return a True Bill of Indictment. What type of justice is this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Frackville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Pottsville is coming back' - Business Leaders ... May 6 Jeff Dahmer 26
News Mysterious Hole In Shenandoah May 6 Angelo761 9
thinking of moving to Girardville (Aug '17) Apr 19 big dog 7
Loved ones incarcerated (Nov '17) Apr 19 big dog 3
Online Dossier of Mark Kessler (Dec '15) Apr 19 big dog 9
News BB&T Sets Closing Date For Saint Clair Branch Mar '18 Da Kernal 3
News New VA Clinic Open in Pottsville Feb '18 Vaughan Cunningham 17

Frackville Jobs

Personal Finance

Frackville Mortgages