The electric thrill of following your...

The electric thrill of following your base instincts: Zap!

There are 104 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 22, 2007, titled The electric thrill of following your base instincts: Zap!. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I have a confession to make: When I saw a group of campus cops in Florida take a Taser to a vociferous 21-year-old student who was spouting off at a John Kerry forum, I smiled.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
evan

New York, NY

#1 Sep 22, 2007
You are sick. People annoy other people, but that does not make them deserve 50,000 votes. I hope this is shock value (no pun intended). Just becuase you dont like someone does not mean they should get tasered.
Heyman

West Hyannisport, MA

#2 Sep 22, 2007
Here's a good idea...Tase all C.F.R. members. Including the moron who made the taser.
What an idiotic article.
Ruben

Baltimore, MD

#3 Sep 22, 2007
The main problem with tasering is an officer will never know if a person has a heart condition or not.

An officer could cause a heart attack to an individual; even with just a minimal charge.(Knocking a person down with minimal scrapes can be more effective.....not purposely; only to restrain an individual
Billy

Edinboro, PA

#5 Sep 22, 2007
I would never wish this on anyone who was exercising the right to free speech in a forum that encouraged the asking of questions. The fact that John Kerry did not defend the man's right to speak peacefully, did nothing to stop the police, and gave a lame response in the press release, has made up my mind.

I used to support John Kerry. I defended him to people who did not like him in the last election. Worked hard to get him elected, believing that he was a man of character, who cared about the people of this country. Even the ones he didn't agree with or like. But, that changed with this incident and how he handled it both before and after. I will never vote for him or support him again. He, like the author of this article, isn't the kind of person this country needs.
none

United States

#6 Sep 22, 2007
The MIT student who wore the fake bomb "art project" into Logan Airport and her attorneys who say the authorities overreacted.
Freedom

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Sep 22, 2007
Yes, I would like to see you tasered. And why should we stop there. Anyone who says something I disagree with or in a way I disagree with should be shot right on the spot.
That'll teach thos bastards!
John Powers

Evanston, IL

#8 Sep 22, 2007
What a pathetic article.

There must have been 100 ways of approaching the loud questioner, rather than violently subduing him.

Cheering on the attack on free speech at the Kerry presentation is one of the low points in the history of Chicago Media.

JBP
Ray Hicks

Arvada, CO

#9 Sep 22, 2007
The goofy part of the whole Andrew Meyer tantrum is that a lot of people take it seriously. They make freedom of speech, police state, gestapo tactics arguments. These of course, are people who have no idea what real repression is.
Meyer is just a wet diaper with a high opinion of himself and nothing at all interesting to say.(Well, apart from his pathetic "Don't tase me bro" and his little girl screaming, which I found mildly entertaining.) I'll bet he kept his big mouth shut for the brief time he was in jail though, unless maybe to say "Don't take my dinner bro."
Tom W

Romeoville, IL

#10 Sep 22, 2007
This was a waste of newspaper (or Web) space -- not only uninspired but mean-spirited. Not every thought that pops into a newsman's head deserves a column, and tasering by cops is a serious issue that does not deserve flip treatment. Mr. Huppke, please stick to writing straight news stories.
Mary Cozad

Bartlett, IL

#11 Sep 22, 2007
I trust this opinion column was ironic and in the spirit of "A Modest Proposal"? No newspaper columnist in a representative democracy could be so mean-spirited? Could he?
JBB

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 22, 2007
A tazer isn't a joke.
It is a potentially lethal weapon, that occasionally proves fatal. It has a use where firing a gun would be inappropriate.
However, saying that one enjoys witnessing someone being tazered isn't all that far from enjoying watching someone get shot.
Should the FL police have shot the activist?
This was a tremendously disturbing column.
JB
Suzanne

United States

#13 Sep 22, 2007
[email protected]

A very stupid and juvenile article. The writer knows nothing about free speech and I have nothing but contempt for the frivolity with which he deals with a very serious subject. The question is not whether Andrew "blathered" or was obnoxious or "we'd like to see him tasered." The question is whether someone should be tasered and arrested for loudly and annoyingly speaking his mind. It's called freedom of speech .....a freedom that a lot of Americans died for. Should this man have been arrested much less tasered? That answer, given by any American that remembers what that is/used to be is..........NO
tyb stuck in cali

AOL

#14 Sep 22, 2007
I guess I am in the minority, but I liked that article! Sometimes when I am watching the news and just seeing yet another car chase that will endanger peoples lives, I would like to see the idiot driver tased. But then the following will occur:
Said thug family will complain.
Mayor of L.A. will appear with thug/thug family and give hugs to them. Will denigrate local cops way before the invesigation is complete.
Luis Carillo,Gloria Allred, or another media hungry lawyer will announce a civil lawsuit in the millions. L.A. City Council, in fear of local minority authority figures will approve the settlement.
So, in conclusion , much as I would like to see jerks/drunken skanks/thugs get tased, it had better not happen.....
Jase

United States

#15 Sep 22, 2007
I'm afraid to say who I'd subject to this punishment, since the editorial board of the Trib would immediately report me to Homeland Security. Of course, due to the gross incompetence of the Administration and all of the factotums appointed thereby, I'm sure I'd live a happy and healthy life.
Karl

Louisville, KY

#16 Sep 22, 2007
The reason Rex Huppke gets himself a mini-bonar for torture is 'cause he's loaded with disgruntled neanderthal DNA.
Somebody please give this douche bag a Rubik's cube and a padded cell.
God will reward you in the afterlife.
James M

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 22, 2007
My vote would be for the Tribune Editorial Department because they never seem to find anything good to say about our country and the cry baby doinks who can't take a joke anymore. Lighten up ###holes it's only a joke! You need to exit out from under your rocks once in a while. If you weren't so full of yourselves and holier than thou, you might just have some fun. Or did you all think Mr. Huppke was talking about you?
Ray Hicks

Arvada, CO

#18 Sep 22, 2007
Okay, after reading all those comments in favor Andrew Meyer's performance for his and other video cameras, I've got to change my view. He did not deserve to be Tased. The cops that had to fight with him should have taken him to the little boy's room and given him what, apparently his parents never did...A good hard spanking. Meyer is a clown and like all clowns he deserves to be laughed at. Huppke, at least got the joke.
SGA

United States

#19 Sep 22, 2007
How about the author of this article? I would love to see him get tasered since he seems to love the idea so much.
david-0-selznick

Aurora, IL

#20 Sep 22, 2007
Mike Madigan?
Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#21 Sep 22, 2007
The Tribune has sunk to a new low printing such trash. I take personal offense that the Tribune thought it OK to print my name in connection with Tasering - where are your morals Tribune? I am actually a nice person with a desire for those around me to live longer and healthier lives in a healthier world. For that I have been smeared by many. Now I can add the Chicago Tribune to the list of nasties. I blame the Tribune for missing the real story and neglecting to chase it down like real journalists. This is not about me. It is about the administration. They are not following Illinois State Code 105 that mandates, once each year, administrators are to arrange for Humane Education training for all teachers. Yes, that is correct. Look up the Illinois State Board of Education web site. I have worked for FRG for 8 years, never once did we learn about Humane Education. The ISBE Code 105 (the driving force behind schools and is the base for all other curricular) also mandates that every teacher teach Character Education with all the same ideas of respect, responsibility, caring, fairness, moral courage, and on. So, not only did they withhold Humane Education from teachers (at least 8 generations of FRG children passed through the building) they then prevented me from teaching those very same things. This is the problem going on all over the country. Administrators are afraid of change. The system is broken. We have to change for the children. Instead of doing real journalism, the Tribune has sunk to a new low and missed a chance to do real good. How many more school shootings until we get to the bottom of the story. How about printing this in your paper? Didn’t think so!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fox River Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carpentersville what a joke! 16 hr Laughing 1
News Prostitution arrest at massage parlor (Jan '10) Jan 19 joe-dough 13
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Jan 14 Crash 165
News Icons of Lakemoor Jan 8 Frankf 3
News Effort to thaw pipe starts fire in Gurnee Jan 5 Informed resident 1
News It's already Christmas for kids at Fox Lake 'Sh... Jan 5 kellycappello 1
News Malls debate teen policies after fights Jan 2 lol 3

Fox River Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance