Vegan teacher appeals firing

Vegan teacher appeals firing

There are 32 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 3, 2007, titled Vegan teacher appeals firing. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A Fox River Grove middle school teacher fired after officials complained that he had turned his art classes into lectures on veganism filed an appeal Wednesday with the Illinois State Board of Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Come On Now

United States

#1 Oct 3, 2007
He should have been fired. He now thinks he can get wealthy because he was 'wronged' when in fact he should have to pay the school for the cost of replacing an incompetent teacher.

It is a wonderful thing to see unions and the legal system at work. They keep incompetents at jobs which they should have lost long ago.
Mike

Chicago, IL

#2 Oct 3, 2007
No way he wins. That after-the-fact explanation for what he was supposedly teaching and how it supposedly relates to art is horribly contrived.
James M

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 3, 2007
We had a discussion online about him in a Tribune comments section and I wrote a comment critical of his behavior in the classroom. He wrote a message back to me saying I just didn't get it and that I could sit in the corner with a roast beef sandwhich. I didn't care about that remark, thinking it was a good natured rib. But then he said that he and the kids would go on to create a better world which I thought was kind of creepy.
Eric

Buffalo Grove, IL

#4 Oct 3, 2007
Gosh! This guy should just give up - there's nothing wrong at all with veganism itself, and the majority of them are very easy to get along with and don't make outrageous demands of their omnivorous brethren...if you ask them about veganism they'll talk about it, but not like this guy...

He gives every Vegan a bad name...
RLA

Woodridge, IL

#5 Oct 3, 2007
I guess that it finally registered that he was REALLY out of a job.
Another Kevin

Wilmette, IL

#7 Oct 3, 2007
There is nothing worse for any cause/religion than a zealot. This person thought that through his tunnel vision mind that he had the only right to have rights. Being new to the vegan lifestyle, he (like the typical ill-informed beginner) went overboard and began to preach his "vegan gospel" as the only true lifestyle.

What rights to the carnivores of the world have? According to him, none.
This (last time I looked, but the view is fleeting) is America. One had the right to decide their own fate and accept the consequences, but apparently not anymore in the zero intelligence schools of today.

Who hired this guy? Who mentored this guy?

I wonder about this individual - does he wear shoes? Drive a plastic car (which by the way may harm the environment more than it benefits same)? Pedal to work? Live in a grass hut?

As Kermit the Frog is oft quoted as saying: "It isn't easy being Green".

It's even worse making everyone else who defies one's ill-concieved edicts blue (not a reference to Dems or GOPs , but to "blue" laws).

This guy makes me want to get in my Hummer and go to my favorite fast food joint and order the foie gras and spotted owl deep fried belly buster burger.

Yum Yum!!

Since: Sep 07

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Oct 3, 2007
He could always use the Insanity defense...and say the potatos told him to do it!
hannah brown

Algonquin, IL

#9 Oct 3, 2007
this never happend when i went there
Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#10 Oct 4, 2007
that "after the fact" you refer to has always been my story; however, the press reports the story they want. Then when th etruth finally comes out, you cry, "he changed the story" DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ, SEE (ART) AND HEAR!
James M

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 4, 2007
Warwak is that you? I'm wondering how you're taking all this? I guess I feel for you in that you've chosen a huge fight for yourself. It can't be easy taking on a whole system. My fear for you is that you won't see what others before you have failed to see. I think there comes a time when you have to cut your losses. There are some who think you may have gone off the deep end, at least temporarily. You really can't do anything about the past but you really haven't done anything that you can't recover from. It might be best to withdraw and lick your wounds for awhile. When you're ready to come back, maybe try leading by example rather than before which felt like you were trying to cram your beliefs down our throats. Who knows maybe some will see how well you are doing and really listen. But if you feel you're going to be the one to get everyone to quit eating meat, it's just not going to happen. There are many who have tried to change all of society, and they just refused to accept that it was hopeless. They usually ended up being consumed by the negativity of their situation. Well, for what it's worth, I wish you well on your quest.
Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#12 Oct 5, 2007
Thank you James - most of what you said is the attitude of a quitter; too, your comment, "trying to cram your beliefs down our throats" is exactly what the meat and dairy industry is doing to our children. And people defend them and attack me. I don't mind and I am not a quitter. Thank you though for showing me that the quietly go away and lick your wounds is terrible advise. Can you feeling it? Children all over the country are being told the truth about eating animals by vegans and animal rights activists! Doesn't really matter what the adults think, as the ball is in motion!

The business card’s front reads:
Remember the Santa Claus lie?
One lie is so bad, some people prefer to keep it hidden.
So hidden, some never find out!
Do you want to live a lie?

The back reads:
Go to your favorite search engine.
Look-up “Factory Farming” Look-up “Vegan”
“Naming a rock, a banana, does not make it food”
Chandra Moon

Lincoln, CA

#13 Oct 5, 2007
'Warwak said he was "educating students about the power of advertising in the visual arts. Specifically, how the meat and dairy industry uses its influence to shape and guide the values and morals of society." '

Depending on the amount of time spent on these lessons, I believe they are completely appropriate for an art class.

This country is so brainwashed by the meat and dairy industries, I have to applaud someone who is courageous enough to tell the truth.

The truth is that the meat and dairy industries deserve our utter contempt in the way they treat sentient creatures, destroy our environment, and ply us with "food" that makes us ill.
James M

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 5, 2007
To Warwak,

Yesterday I thought that stepping back was a prudent course of action, I said nothing about quitting altogether. I tried to reach out to you and show you that someone could disagree with your position but still be mindful of you as a person. I feel that for my effort, you turned and slapped me in the face. I won't make that mistake again with you.
Chandra

Lincoln, CA

#15 Oct 6, 2007
James M,

I read your post to Warwak where you said you tried to reach out to him. I would have to agree with Warwak's interpretation of it. It sounds very negative and pessimistic. You wrote:

But if you feel you're going to be the one to get everyone to quit eating meat, it's just not going to happen. There are many who have tried to change all of society, and they just refused to accept that it was hopeless. They usually ended up being consumed by the negativity of their situation

That's pretty darn negative. I don't see that as 'reaching out.'

Every great movement has three stages:
ridicule - discussion - adoption

Of course people are eventually going to stop eating animals. No one at the time thought women would ever vote or own property or that slaves would ever be emancipated.
Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#16 Oct 7, 2007
Just goes to show people are afraid of things they don't understand. People are afraid of change. I wouldn't hurt a flea, let alone a person. Just proves my point. We are a fear-based society afraid of many things. Vegans are the last group of people to be fearful of. If I didn't care about people, I wouldn't care what the children ate or what they were taught. Humane Education coupled with a Vegan lunch is the end to school shootings, war, pollution, starvation, and the Health Care crisis!
Another Kevin

Wilmette, IL

#17 Oct 7, 2007
Warwako, what are you thinking?
Just what happens to deer that have no natural predators in the forest preserves?
They (just like humans) die of starvation when the food supply can no longer support the population.

Skip art class for the rest of your life and bone up on economics.

There is a reason that agrarian societies raise and consume domesticated animals.
The protein needed to support the human life form cannot be raised in sufficient quantities to support a given population, hence, moo, moo, moo, here's chewing on you.
The byproducts (fur, tallow, bone) gives shelter, light and utensils, to name a few uses.
Since the dawn of time when you, and your poorly concieved ideas weren't around, the path of least resistance to existence was being an omnivore, basicly stated, if you could outrun it, you could eat it and LIVE.

I posed a question to you earlier that you conviniently ignored.

Do you wear canvas shoes?
How about clothes dyed only with berry or soy-based dyes?
Do you refuse to wear a belt made of nothing but rope or cloth?
What does your carbon footprint look like?
Don't walk the walk, if you can't talk the talk, and personally speaking, you can't.
You have never used a product that was glued? Where do you think most water based advesives come from?
The only fear that exists is the fear that you harbor towards your own existence.

Acceptance of such is the first step to recovery.

Americe is based upon freedom of CHOICE, a concept apparently foreign to you. Get with the program, your veganvangelism is your belief of choice, not a right to pontificate said behavior to the rest of the world who must obey.
No one (except your megalomaniac self) made you king of the vegans.
The ability to get along (ala Rodney King) means that one respects others beliefs, not demands that a school system change its policies or philosophy to match yours.
Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Hi Hanna! Hope all is well. Vegans on average are 17 points higher in IQ as Another Kevin and James clearly demonstrate. I will not spoon feed answers you can find yourself. I am too busy spreading the word amongst the youth - they get it - fast - you don't - not even over a couple thousand years. I do not respect your beliefs that animals are yours to do what ever with - no way - they are my friends - and don't feed them to my friends, the children! Argue with the man;
“Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet” Einstein

“Vegetarian food leaves a deep impression on our nature. If the whole world adopts vegetarianism, it can change the destiny of mankind" Einstein
Another Kevin

Wilmette, IL

#19 Oct 8, 2007
Mr. Warwak: in the immortal words of Tim Roth's character 1900 (spoken to Jelly Roll Morton) in the movie "The Legend of 1900": "You asked for it -------".

One of the axioms of logic is: "Correlation does not imply causation"

Mr Warwak states that vegans have higher IQ's on average. Where does he site a source?

Next he decides to use a few self serving snippets quoting Albert Einstein, without doing his homework.

Let an omnivore educate Mr. Warwak about Einstein quotes:

Warwak: Vegans on average are 17 points higher in IQ as Galicia, Another Kevin, and Dixonslick clearly demonstrate.

Einstein: "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

Warwak: I will not spoon feed answers you can find yourself.

Einstein: A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

Warwak: am too busy spreading the word amongst the youth - they get it - fast - you don't - not even over a couple thousand years.

Einstein: The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat.

and

Einstein: The road to perdition has ever been accompanied by lip service to an ideal.

Warwak:(Quoted in a Tribune article)

Dave Warwak, 44, of Williams Bay, Wis., asked the state board to appoint a hearing officer to review his termination. He had said he would not return to the classroom unless the school served only lunches free of animal products.

Einstein:
The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule.

Warwak: I am being terminated for my response to the pro-dairy propaganda in the school cafeteria in which, I, as an Art Teacher, was educating students about the power of advertising in the Visual Arts. Specifically, how the Meat and Dairy Industry uses its influence to shape and guide the values and morals of society through indoctrination.

Einstein: As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.

Finally Mr Warwak should consider his own words:
Warwak: "Argue with the man;"

Einstein: You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

and finally, had he done his research, he would have come across this pearl of wisdom from Mr. Einstein.

Einstein: If A equals success, then the formula is _ A =_ X +_ Y +_ Z._ X is work._ Y is play._ Z is keep your mouth shut.

Warwak

Chippewa Falls, WI

#20 Oct 10, 2007
non-sense - pure non-sense - do you know how to read? why would you post things in support of my points? post some more Einstein!
Another Kevin

Wilmette, IL

#21 Oct 10, 2007
In regards to Mr. Warwak, it seems such a shame that he can't understand or comprehend the written word.
I understand the art path now...
I have posed questions to him that he does not answer.
Non-sense is in fact only non-sense to those who do not comprehend (17+ IQ points over the average omnivore and all).
Negation is not an argument, nor is it a competent defense.
His words to those of the world of comprehension do speak volumes of his intellect (or the lack thereof).
It would do Mr. Warwak well to be able to answer questions put to him by those who will be determining his
future employment status - or the lack of it.

A few more questions - Does Mr. Warwak actually think about the things that he types?
Is he delusional?

The only space in the inanne negations of Mr. Warwak seems to be that located between his ears.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fox River Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) 5 hr Johnny Bags 176
News 4 Island Lake cops to get Life Saving Awards Wed Island lake 1
News Cary man facing charges for selling cocaine to ... Wed Ex Lakemoor res 1
Vote for the most useless Wauconda police officers (Dec '16) Wed Never trust the p... 2
Please Help Me Sep 20 John Burkel 7
Review: Frassati Catholic Academy (Mar '10) Sep 6 Frassati Parent 2
Just analyzing Aug 28 grochomarx 1

Fox River Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fox River Grove Mortgages