Vegetarian teacher, district to meet

Full story: Chicago Tribune

An art teacher at Fox River Grove Middle School who was removed from his classroom for promoting his vegetarian views was expected to meet Monday with school officials.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2007
Atosa Roshan

Cayman Islands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2007

As a fellow middle school teacher, I am quiet appalled that a teacher would be asked to live in a box and encourage his students to do the same thing.

If Mr. Warwak knows more than the rest of us about what is really going on in the meat industry, he might as well share it! Middle school students are no babies. They already receive sex education in Ontario, Canada. Learning about where the meat comes from should be no big deal!

Kudos to Warwak to show critical thinking, to question, dare to dissent, and have the guts to stand his ground. I admire this person!
eloopd

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2007

I wonder if liberals would share Atosa Roshan's views if the teacher was doing the same with abortion. The teacher was hired to teach a specific subject, and I am fairly certain it was not veganism.
Atosa Roshan

Cayman Islands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

I see your point. However, I must say that a teacher's job is first and foremost educating students to be good and responsible citizens. This includes what's ethically best for the environmnent, animals, and our own health of course.
This was not about personal beliefs or preachig a religion (though I do believe that even religion needs to be questioned and challenged otherwise we will keep seeing atrocities committed because of many faulty and contradictory issues that each religion claims to be the rightous ones!).
I don't believe that Warwak was "teaching" veganism as much as he was trying to enlighten his students about issues that are really happening in our world. If he had been talking about the sky being blue, he would certainly not have been questioned. Unfortunately there is a disconnect between our daily lives and what goes on in farm factories. Precisely the uncomfortableness about the subject often comes from the fact that ideas such as Mr. Warwak's can hardly be challenged and so the the listener is faces with a tough choice: 1. make serious and challenging changes or 2. stick to the old ways and admit we have been in the wrong as well as parents and ancestors.
That is why this topic seems to be repressed rather than discussed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fox River Grove Discussions

Search the Fox River Grove Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 21 min ohoh 3,844
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 48,986
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 6 hr newpoly 1,867
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Chicagobunny 526
Do Not Visit Lakemoor Businesses Until The Red ... (Feb '13) Jul 26 stop at red 49
Barrington reopens argument on CN rail underpass (Oct '11) Jul 24 Sal 19
Police reports: Lake in the Hills, Cary, Lakemo... (Mar '08) Jul 24 No One special 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fox River Grove Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fox River Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••