District 34 School Board

Posted in the Fox Lake Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Antioch, IL

#1 Apr 3, 2013
There's great potential this election for a huge conflict of interest in the District 34 school board. We already have two former teachers on the board and we now have a current teacher and a former principal running for election. Also, the husband of one of the current board members (a former teacher) is running for election. If both teachers and the spouse are elected, and assuming the spouse votes as his wife does, we will have five out of seven board members controlled by current or former teachers. Is this what's best for the district?

I'm especially uneasy with having two votes from one household. Also, when the teacher's contract comes up for renewal in a few years, will the board do what's best for the kids, the taxpayers, or the teachers? I'd feel more at ease with added diversity on the board.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#2 Apr 3, 2013
Excellent point.
Even when they are not all former teachers they still are close friends running together as a block vote.
They could care less what taxpayers, parents, home owners, etc wants.
They can vote in pay raises, benefit packages, etc for themselves and friends.
We need to vote out long term politicians get new fresh faces who are unrelated to anyone or any job they might be voting on.
Lets take a seriously look at where their real interest lies.

Antioch, IL

#3 Apr 3, 2013
I was just informed that another current board member is a substitute teacher. Here's the list of current board members and candidates with teaching backgrounds:

Kris Bolin - retired teacher (incumbent)
Roy Bolin - husband of retired teacher
Mary Beth Hulting - teacher
Diane McMahon - substitute teacher (incumbent)
Mary Kay McNeill - retired teacher/principal
Mindy Pudlo - former teacher (mid-term)

I'm not stating these people wouldn't make good board members. A couple of them have children or grandchildren in the district. They may do what's best for the kids. My question is, for those that don't, what's their motivation for running? Do we really want this much influence from one group?

There's a candidates forum Thursday evening (4/4) at 7:30 in the AUGS cafeteria. I'll be out of town but am hoping someone brings up the topic.
Truth Seeker

Tinley Park, IL

#4 Apr 3, 2013
I see what you are saying and I believe it is a huge conflict of interest. I have kids that go to District 34 schools and I want them to have a good, quality education, but not to the point where it breaks the bank in order to do it (like having to move cause I've been priced out of my house)(in other words my property taxes are so ridiculously high it's beyond crazy)and majority of it is going to the schools and of course they will vote themselves or spouses on the board raises etc. Tax appeals=joke, been there done that and it's worthless. This is Antioch not Lake Forest. The board Definitely needs more diversity.
STARBUCKS

Elm Grove, WI

#5 Apr 5, 2013
People you need to wake up and smell the coffee, the majority of our taxes go to the schools. Why are there so many teachers , retired teachers, or a teachers husband running for the Board of Education for Antioch Elementary School District # 34 ????? What is going to be the number ONE topic of negotiations with the State of Illinois ? How do we fund the teachers pensions. These teachers are running to protect their pensions and their fellow teachers, they will not care about us the taxpayers. Why would you elect teachers who decide the salary of their friends ? WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#6 Apr 5, 2013
Citizen Antioch wrote:
I was just informed that another current board member is a substitute teacher. Here's the list of current board members and candidates with teaching backgrounds:
Kris Bolin - retired teacher (incumbent)
Roy Bolin - husband of retired teacher
Mary Beth Hulting - teacher
Diane McMahon - substitute teacher (incumbent)
Mary Kay McNeill - retired teacher/principal
Mindy Pudlo - former teacher (mid-term)
Besides the names above, you have the existing members Bryan Mueller, Tamara Neumann, Dennis Goodman and Joni Kalstrup. Does anyone know if they are current/former/spouses of teachers?

I don't believe there is anyone else running.
Adam12

Round Lake, IL

#7 Apr 5, 2013
They may be teachers, former teachers, or principals.... I would think they are tax payers and parents too??? I have to believe they have a better understanding of the needs and priorities of the school system, than myself or a number of others.
It's Bull

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Apr 5, 2013
Adam12 wrote:
They may be teachers, former teachers, or principals.... I would think they are tax payers and parents too??? I have to believe they have a better understanding of the needs and priorities of the school system, than myself or a number of others.
Don't you believe it, they are there to just benefit themselves or anybody with a close connection to them, they could care less about us regular taxpayers. As long as they got the power they will just vote themselves a raise or a better pension. I know of a few teachers that work for the public schools yet send their own kids to a private school -- that in itself says a lot. In other words they think their own school district that they themselves teach in sucks along with their decision making school board.

New York, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2013
"Besides the names above, you have the existing members Bryan Mueller, Tamara Neumann, Dennis Goodman and Joni Kalstrup. Does anyone know if they are current/former/spouses of teachers?"

Kalstrup isn't running for reelection. The others aren't teachers and aren't married to teachers. Don't have any idea about extended family.

FYI, by law, school board members cannot receive compensation. This is strictly a volunteer position. They're either doing it to give their time and talents in the true spirit of volunteerism or they have an agenda.

I'm still amazed there's not more opposition to the husband and wife running together. I don't care what organization it is, I can't imagine that being a good idea.

Antioch, IL

#10 Apr 7, 2013
It looks like we missed Lori Linck in our list above. I've been reading up on her and believe she has my vote based on what I've seen. Not a teacher, not affiliated with the union, appears to be intelligent and well spoken.

@ Citizen Antioch, the others may not be teachers, but are former teachers or administrators. While I'm not opposed to that, and appreciate the insight they can bring, diversity on the board would be ideal, IMO.

I agree re the husband & wife team.
D34mom

Round Lake, IL

#11 Apr 8, 2013
A current board member and one candidate are also former custodians in the district. The sub used to be a full-time teacher. Lots of ties to the district. I agree it'd be nice to have a fresh perspective.

I went to that forum. Was pretty disappointed that quite a few candidates didn't show.

@newsreader 2011 I think you're right; Linck is the way to go.

Huntington Beach, CA

#12 Apr 8, 2013
D34mom wrote:
A current board member and one candidate are also former custodians in the district. The sub used to be a full-time teacher. Lots of ties to the district. I agree it'd be nice to have a fresh perspective.
I went to that forum. Was pretty disappointed that quite a few candidates didn't show.
@newsreader 2011 I think you're right; Linck is the way to go.
I've heard positive things about Linck from others as well. The no show status of these candidates at the Daily Herald interview and the forum makes me wonder if transparency will be an issue if they're elected. I heard the custodian candidate is a friend of Roy Bolin's. This could be a very bad election for the taxpayer.
D34mom

Round Lake, IL

#13 Apr 8, 2013
I had forgotten that some of those same candidates didn't participate in the herald story. You're right, what are they trying to avoid saying?
D34mom

Round Lake, IL

#14 Apr 9, 2013
Pathetic. Less than13 percent voter turnout? Embarrassing.

Antioch, IL

#15 Apr 10, 2013
D34mom wrote:
Pathetic. Less than13 percent voter turnout? Embarrassing.
Amazing, isn't it? I'll bet the teacher turnout was big. They're well aware the taxpayer will need to take on more burden as the state continues down the path of financial ruin. The next time I hear someone complain about taxes, I'll be sure to ask if they voted in the last election. Four out of seven board members are former teachers. I've got to tip my hat to them. They've certainly outsmarted the average district resident.

I guess we can just pass on more debt to our children. Maybe we can raise the retirement age again and let college tuition continue its typical 8% annual increase. College graduates will have about 60K in debt and very little job prospects. Hope their parents were teachers. At least they can live with them since they'll have a retirement. <rant complete>

Antioch, IL

#16 Apr 10, 2013
Citizen Antioch wrote:
<quoted text>
The next time I hear someone complain about taxes, I'll be sure to ask if they voted in the last election.
Amen to that. I voted. My day is crazy busy and I'm sick on top of it, but I made the time. People love to bitch but they refuse to do anything about it.
Antioch taxpayer

Round Lake, IL

#17 Apr 10, 2013
The votes are in and you will be glad to know that 2 of the incumbents voted in approved the up to 25% salary raise for administrators. Three others that approved the salary increase hold current positions.
The vote has been 6 to 1 on most issues that have increased spending, staffing and spending down current cash reserves. Anyone informed enough to know who is the one voting against these items?
Wake Up

Wonder Lake, IL

#18 Apr 10, 2013
Let's recap yesterday's election:
3 of the 4 elected last night are or have been teachers in the district, which makes 4 total on the board, a voting majority. That's right, you now have district teachers making every decision about your kids' education. There is no oversight or independent decisions. If I didn't have to live here it would almost be funny. Way to go dipshidiots.
D34mom

Chicago, IL

#19 Apr 10, 2013
@Antioch taxpayer:
No, of course nobody is in the know about who voted against admin increases...those are done in their top-secret clubhouse Aka "closed session".
I've only seen one board member ever vote differently than the mob, but he seemed to defend the decision when the board was questioned about it during public comments; so I'm at a loss.

Speaking of at a loss, we all are now. And we're stuck with it.
Antioch taxpayer

Woodridge, IL

#20 Apr 11, 2013
On the discussion of transparency. When a citizen takes the opportunity to talk in a board meeting, all you will find in the published board minutes is Mrs. X spoke to the board. The current administration and majority of board members are very good at hiding information from the public. Are you ready to have a 30-40 million dollar referendum shoved down your throat? There were 5 public meetings on the subject. Information was given about the meetings on the district web site. Know how many senior citizens were at the meetings? Zero. Total number of citizens at the meetings around 130. Thats less then 10% of parents and far less than 1% of the population of Antioch. Yet the board feels that this is enough to make decisions with. The board is not interrested in getting the information out to the public, if the were you would have seen notes going home with kids, articles in news papers etc...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fox Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Antioch Small Engine Repair is a scam (Jul '11) 5 hr Preston Moore 117
Macek Rumours! (Mar '15) Jun 24 Issac Newton Fan 27
Poll Red light cameras at Rt. 12 & Rt. 134- Safety o... (Jan '11) Jun 19 JustPassingThrough 22
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? (Aug '14) Jun 13 Nils Trillingham III 24
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Jun 2 raisal 159
News Lakemoor officials ask residents to lobby Wauco... Jun 2 Haha wauconda 7
News How much is Gliniewicz investigation costing ta... (Nov '15) May 27 ExGun 21
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fox Lake Mortgages