Ingleside man guilty in 2004 stabbing...

Ingleside man guilty in 2004 stabbing death of neighbor girl

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Ingleside man guilty in 2004 stabbing death of neighbor girl. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An Ingleside man entered a guilty plea Monday in the stabbing death of a teenage neighbor who confronted him during a botched burglary of her home in 2004.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gimme a break

Plover, WI

#1 Feb 5, 2008
anyone who stabs another human being 40 times is obviously insane at the time. i'm so sick of this excuse as a cop out. lock him up and throw away the key - along with all the other cowards who cry insanity for their crimes. what is insane is violence continues to escalate, the crimes become more horrific with each passing day, and yet our legal system continues to find more ways to protect the criminals???
Thom

Wasco, IL

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Horrific.
Zing

Buffalo Grove, IL

#3 Feb 5, 2008
gimme a break wrote:
anyone who stabs another human being 40 times is obviously insane at the time. i'm so sick of this excuse as a cop out. lock him up and throw away the key - along with all the other cowards who cry insanity for their crimes. what is insane is violence continues to escalate, the crimes become more horrific with each passing day, and yet our legal system continues to find more ways to protect the criminals???
"Insanity" in the legal sense, in order for a defendant using such defense to be found not guilty, means that the person did not realize or know that their actions were criminal. It has NOTHING to do with "insanity" in the vernacular sense or what you may deem to be "insane." There are legitimate applications of the "insanity" defense, but this is not one of them.

The fact is, he was committing a burglary at the time of this crime, not to mention that this was the second time he was burglarizing the house. He knew what he was doing was illegal; therefore, no legal defense of insanity applies.

Also, you might not have noticed, but he PLEADED GUILTY. He did not assert an insanity defense. Finally, legal insanity and mental illness are mutually exclusive. You do not need to be mentally ill to be found insane, and you do not need to be insane to be found mentally ill.

Your comment is totally irrelevant since he pleaded guilty, he never asserted an insanity defense, and your comment indicates that you don't understand what legal "insanity" is, even though that was stated at the end of the article.
Was my friend

Lake In The Hills, IL

#4 Feb 5, 2008
I was a friend of this victom and I couldn't be more happy to his ass go to jail, he deserves every bit of what is coming to him. I don't care who you are or how well a doctor thinks he can determine what is insane or not, everyone and I mean everyone knows the difference between right ot wrong, or self defense and murder. I stood outside her house when it happened and cried with all my friends. I hope that Adam rots in hell.

“You're off!”

Since: Jan 08

Quito, Ecuador

#5 Feb 5, 2008
Zing wrote:
Your comment is totally irrelevant since he pleaded guilty, he never asserted an insanity defense, and your comment indicates that you don't understand what legal "insanity" is, even though that was stated at the end of the article.
I wonder why people find lawyers to be pompous twits...
Sheila

Chicago, IL

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Zing wrote:
<quoted text>
"Insanity" in the legal sense, in order for a defendant using such defense to be found not guilty, means that the person did not realize or know that their actions were criminal. It has NOTHING to do with "insanity" in the vernacular sense or what you may deem to be "insane." There are legitimate applications of the "insanity" defense, but this is not one of them.
The fact is, he was committing a burglary at the time of this crime, not to mention that this was the second time he was burglarizing the house. He knew what he was doing was illegal; therefore, no legal defense of insanity applies.
Also, you might not have noticed, but he PLEADED GUILTY. He did not assert an insanity defense. Finally, legal insanity and mental illness are mutually exclusive. You do not need to be mentally ill to be found insane, and you do not need to be insane to be found mentally ill.
Your comment is totally irrelevant since he pleaded guilty, he never asserted an insanity defense, and your comment indicates that you don't understand what legal "insanity" is, even though that was stated at the end of the article.
oh, please be quiet.
Sheila

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 5, 2008
ByronMoreno wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why people find lawyers to be pompous twits...
The Trib wouldn't let me say oh, s-h-u-t-u-p to Zing. So thanks for your comment, he/she is a pompous twit.
gimme a break

Plover, WI

#8 Feb 5, 2008
thank you sheila and byron -
zing - i am not an attorney, but i am also not a dumba**. my post was not to debate on the legal definition of insane. i was merely stating my view, which is - time and again we see defense attorneys try to use the insanity plea to get their clients off, a reduced sentence, or no jail time in lieu of "treatment". and as a consequence, has there been any reduction in these horrific crimes? no. there is no fear of retribution anymore, because it is so easy to get away with murder.

yes he plead guilty, but in the same breath he denied killing. more fodder for the sentencing, so they can find him guilty but instead of being locked away for life, he will receive "treatment". he should pay the full consequences of the crime he committed, not some pansy excuse that he was insane with a slap on the wrist.

“You're off!”

Since: Jan 08

Quito, Ecuador

#9 Feb 5, 2008
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
The Trib wouldn't let me say oh, s-h-u-t-u-p to Zing. So thanks for your comment, he/she is a pompous twit.
Prolly a second-year law student who is desperate to show off his hard-earned knowledge.
Three and a half years

Thiensville, WI

#10 Feb 5, 2008
Zing wrote:
<quoted text>
"Insanity" in the legal sense, in order for a defendant using such defense to be found not guilty, means that the person did not realize or know that their actions were criminal. It has NOTHING to do with "insanity" in the vernacular sense or what you may deem to be "insane." There are legitimate applications of the "insanity" defense, but this is not one of them.
The fact is, he was committing a burglary at the time of this crime, not to mention that this was the second time he was burglarizing the house. He knew what he was doing was illegal; therefore, no legal defense of insanity applies.
Also, you might not have noticed, but he PLEADED GUILTY. He did not assert an insanity defense. Finally, legal insanity and mental illness are mutually exclusive. You do not need to be mentally ill to be found insane, and you do not need to be insane to be found mentally ill.
Your comment is totally irrelevant since he pleaded guilty, he never asserted an insanity defense, and your comment indicates that you don't understand what legal "insanity" is, even though that was stated at the end of the article.
Zing you obveously have not paid attention to this case, but Adam and Grant (his ignorant A.. Hole of an attorney) have been trying for three and one half years to use the insanity plea. They even tried to say that Adam thought his parents were martians. He signed a confession letter within 24 hours of the tragic murder. Now, if you can read, I quote "the plea deal calls for Christenson to be found guilty but mentally ill, a decision that would require him to receive psychiatric treatment while serving his sentence". He could have taken this weak plea years ago, but instead he drags it out for 3 1/2 years, using all of our tax dollars just to keep him in jail to bulk up before he gets to PRISON!!! He was faceing multiple life sentences, but with this plea he faces anywhere from 30 to 60 some years. And even though he is guilty as sin, he takes the cheap imature way out by taking this plea and he does not even have to admit what he did, but he can sit in that court room with all that evil in his eyes and just smerk about it.
Gigi

AOL

#11 Feb 6, 2008
Hi Everyone! I am Elizabeth's mother. Over the last 3years 6months and 19 days, I have been in the courtroom at least 50 times. A trial date had been set at least 10 times and Grant his attorney is the one who has time and time again continued this. Over the past four years our life has been a roller coaster and whoever said it is exactly correct. He could have pleaded years ago. Believe me people this man is not and never was insane. Does he have mental illness, but how many of us don't this days. All I know that in my opinion. Grant is and arrogant _____ and doesn't always play by the rules and in turn has caused not only my family but 100's of people so much pain by playing his what he thought was having the upper plan.We had no idea that there was going to be a plea,but again in my opinion Grant's ego wouldn't allow him to plea. On Monday he knew his game was over. I am very upset. I needed the trial for closer. I needed 12 other human beings to say. Yes Adam Christenson is guilty of the murder of Elizabeth Anne Willding. There were 11 counts against him, which could have given him life. That isn't going to happen now. Elizabeth's murder was a robbery.Not only to her family and friends, but to the community and society in general. There are no rights for the victims and their families. The accused has all the rights and can post-pone all they want. My life changed forever on July 14, 2004. I lost my daughter, I lost my house, I lost my life, I lost the ability to work. Finding my daughter stabbed 43 times is something as hard as I try with the help of professionals, that just won't go away. And I never know when it is going to pop in my head. I believe before Liz's death I was an asset to society. I worked a job in which I was successful in starting a new company Today I can't hold thought or numbers in my brain and have had to ask the state and the goverment to help me because everything I have is gone. I am sorry I am babbling. There just aren't enough words to tell you what it is like to walk into a room and see your sweet beautiful 16 year old baby slashed 43 times. 9 of those were to her left side of her neck where he not only cut her jugular atery but also cut her corated artery too. She literally lost they estimated over 85 % of her blood. thank you for listenting. Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense or for my spelling. Again that is what has happened since my Liz's murder. Thank you so much for caring and taking interest in this story
gimme a break

Plover, WI

#12 Feb 7, 2008
Gigi - my heart goes out to you. the pain in your words brings me to tears and i hope that one day you find peace. as a mom of 2 teenage daughters, i cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through. your daughter was very brave and i am so sorry for your incredible loss.
ricky carmichael

United States

#13 Feb 7, 2008
ricky carmichael agrees that any man to stab another man 40 plus times is a lunatic. RICKY FOR PRESIDENT 08!!!! YEA!!!!1
Pam

Woodstock, IL

#14 Feb 12, 2008
To you Ricky Carmichael - you are F'n Moran - This is a serious situation that you have obviously no consideration for the grieving mother and family that have been left totally devastated and will always feel the loss of a such a sweet and innocent young lady that was taken from us by a f'n monster who is a coward!!! I hope he rots in his own prison inside of himself for the rest of his life. Cowards don't own up to the truth!!! What goes around comes around - Karma... So ricky carmichael go comment somewhere where the rest of the morons are like yourself!!! Love you Gigi!!
julie

Mchenry, IL

#15 Feb 12, 2008
you know i have read all the comments and by where i stand i see a bunch of bickering and childishness what is and will always be important here is gigi and her family and the loss she suffered no one can bring back liz for her and this plea agreement is a joke gigi needed to hear your guilty and the court system took that away from her the victims and their families have no rights
gigi i am sorry for your loss and hp will always be there for you and so will we
and dear ramble all you want this is about your life too
Wendi

Bartlett, IL

#16 Feb 12, 2008
I am so sorry, Gigi. I pray that for some of the time you can envision Liz's 16 years with you, her accomplishments, beauty and joy in leui of that one horrific sight. All my love to you, Gigi
nastassja

Mchenry, IL

#17 May 22, 2009
hello my name is nastassja i had hung out with adam a few times before HE brutaly murdered liz .... i knew him and he was freaking insane for real he would talk to him self . he would talk about stabbing people .. he had asked to watch me and my bf have sex and i also had slept at his houe one time with him and daniel rowe and all adam had did was watch me sleep and daniel rowe asked him to stop he was crazy he talked about crazy stuff all the time so i do think he was insane and as for the police and people saying that daniel rowe and melissa ward were involed or didnt have any grief about her dieing they have to deal with this every day just as the famliy does ... u dont think they feel hurt that they made mistakes and and are very upset that ADAM not them did that to her give or take adam stole a xbox the day b4 the murder ...and they were there doesnt at all mean its there fault HE HE HE WENT BACK and did that so when people look at them or them they need to understand its not them or there falut that adam did what he did and they are sorry and for lizs famliy
Mark

Round Lake, IL

#18 May 28, 2009
BEFORE I POST THE FOLLOWING COMMENT I WANT TO SAY THAT I ORIGINALY WROTE THIS IN DECEMBER AND IT WAS IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOUT THIS HORRIBLE CRIME!:

He doesn't deserve a sentence of 60yrs, as stated above, HE DESERVES NO LESS THAN A LIFE SENTENCE! No we don't have sympathy for him, we have it for Liz's family. Victims of crimes don't deserve to have to live through the torture someone else decided to force upon them. Their families don't deserve the lifetime sentence of grief they receive. The victims and their families didn't choose to become victims, the offender made the choice for them! The offenders choose to commit the crimes, they are the only ones who have a choice. Offenders can choose to destroy any life at any time and the victims are forced to live with the choice the offender made. All of the people who are so secure in their everyday lives should consider how horrible it would be to suddenly have your nice secure life come to a end because some greedy piece of human waste decided to break into your house and kill your beautiful daughter! It makes me sick when I hear people try to place blame on a victim. She had every right to do ANYTHING she could to defend herself! The sad part here is that the victim was sentenced to death, while people cry "spare the offender!" Just remember that what all of us view as reality, our families, our homes, and our lives, are only ours until some criminal decides to take them away from us! The next time you leave your family as you go off to work think about the fact that some criminal may decide that it is time for your happiness to end, maybe the criminal will decide to sentence you to a lifetime of grief! In the beginning you have a baby, you teach the baby to talk, to walk, you stand at the bus stop and get tears in your eyes as they leave for their first day of school, you are so proud as they graduate each grade, you attend their school functions, birthday parties, you nurse them to health when they are sick, you laugh with them, you cry with them, and you plan their future, ONLY THEIR WON'T BE A FUTURE BECOUSE SOME CRIMINAL BREAKS INTO YOUR HOUSE TO STEAL A $10 CORD AND KILLS YOUR DAUGHTER!
To Liz, her mother, and her family, please understand that none of you deserved this! She was NOT at fault in any way! She received a death sentence and her family received a sentence of a lifetime of grief! The criminal was the judge and jury, he sentenced Liz to feel horrible pain and fear, then he sentenced her to die. Now I ask "what sentence does he deserve?" John Wayne Gacy tried playing the "insanity defense". He killed 33 people. It would be easy to believe you have to be insane to kill 33 people, however he tried to cover up his crimes which meant that he KNEW he was committing a crime. He was sentenced to death. I know this criminal didn't kill 33 people, but he killed one and sentenced an entire family to a lifetime of grief! He stole not only the $10 cord, but the hopes and dreams of an entire family! No one will ever know what great things Liz could have achieved! Maybe she would have had children and grandchildren? Maybe one of her children would have done something great with their lives like become President of the United States? Maybe one of her children would have been the doctor who found a cure for cancer? Who knows? I guess we will never know!
Mark

Arlington Heights, IL

#19 May 31, 2011
After 2yrs I can't believe there has not been a single comment after mine. We should never forget that crimes like this have occurred and will again.
Gigi Willding

Kenosha, WI

#20 Jan 6, 2013
Adam Christenson never pleaded guilty. He pleaded the Alfred Plea which means if he went to trial with the state had on him he would probably have been found guilty. He plea bargained. There were 11 counts on him which would have kept him in jail for life. Because he pleaded the Alfred plea they dropped all counts except one and instead of life he got 47 years which he had already served four of. My daughters will still be alive when this animal gets out. He also through in his plea that he was mentally ill, which was never proven. As Liz's Mom I believe that the Alfed plea in the State of Illinois should be banished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fox Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is a new red light camera coming to Wauconda? 13 hr dead grandma 1
Antioch Small Engine Repair is a scam (Jul '11) 13 hr dead grandma 118
caution,charles trinchetilla III might be back 20 hr enemy1 1
Macek Rumours! (Mar '15) Jun 24 Issac Newton Fan 27
Poll Red light cameras at Rt. 12 & Rt. 134- Safety o... (Jan '11) Jun 19 JustPassingThrough 22
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? (Aug '14) Jun 13 Nils Trillingham III 24
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Jun 2 raisal 159

Fox Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fox Lake Mortgages