2 hurt, 1 dead in rail crossing wreck

Tom Wood Ford Tom Wood Ford offers great deals on New and Pre-Owned vehicles in Indianapolis. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wonder

Sheridan, IN

#1 Feb 5, 2008
I don't suppose the train could have waited at its origin till the fog cleared, if for no other reason, safety.
Casey Jones

Greenwood, IN

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Why the hell do you people run into my train? Are you blind or just on the phone?
indy native

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2008
Wonder wrote:
I don't suppose the train could have waited at its origin till the fog cleared, if for no other reason, safety.
By your logic couldn't we as easily say the passengers and drivers in the automobiles involved could have remained at their origins as well?
clearwat

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 5, 2008
I never can understand why people don't slow down in fog. If you can't stop in the distance you can see you are driving too fast.
Operation Lifesaver

Louisville, KY

#5 Feb 5, 2008
What sort of idiot runs into a train that is going across the road? It's someone who is driving too fast for conditions. I feel for the people who were injured, but the truck driver is 100% at fault in this accident, as were the people who ran into him. If it's foggy, SLOW DOWN!
Bob in Brownsburg

Manchester, MI

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Wonder wrote:
The train didn't hit anything, so why should the railroad company alter it's operations? On the other hand, it sounds like we have one truck driver who failed to see the flashing lights at the railroad crossing and another truck driver who failed to see that traffic was stopped at the crossing. Drivers, especially professional drivers, should understand that when it's too foggy to see where you are going, you have to slow down.
Patrick

Louisville, KY

#7 Feb 5, 2008
Regardless, it appears there is something wrong at this crossing. Maybe instead of cute comments, we could suggest the state highway dept. or RR make improvements to this site. How many need to die first?

“de la frontera de Pennsyltucky”

Since: Jan 08

Pittsburgh, Penn.

#8 Feb 5, 2008
but unfortunatey, complacency causes a lot of idiotic behaviour. Like you, I know that the truck driver was going too fast and everyone else who 'knows the roads'. I still remember that foggy day in WI when a huge wreck in the fog on I-43 killed so many people. All because no attention was paid. Be safe ladies and gents.
Tom Pain

Dublin, CA

#9 Feb 5, 2008
I can only speculate, but I expect more than one of those drivers was "yapping" on a cell phone.

"Hang up the phone and DRIVE, people!"
Fred in Fishers

Anderson, IN

#11 Feb 5, 2008
Crossing gates and flashers are installed. What more do you want? A crossing guard with a RPG!
retread

Kingston, PA

#12 Feb 5, 2008
Operation Lifesaver wrote:
What sort of idiot runs into a train that is going across the road? It's someone who is driving too fast for conditions. I feel for the people who were injured, but the truck driver is 100% at fault in this accident, as were the people who ran into him. If it's foggy, SLOW DOWN!
Ditto:

The truck driver that started the whole thing hit the freaking 22nd car of the train for God's sake.

I would venture to guess that the train covered the road at that point.

That crossing is pretty well marked for about a mile. Doesn't make sense to assume you can stampede through it, especially with no visibility.

Since: Nov 07

Noblesville Indiana

#13 Feb 5, 2008
Have others noticed that people just do not slow down as visibility decreases in fog. It is mind boggling!

They do not turn their headlights on either allowing them to be seen. Even with headlights that stay on all the time (DRL) it is good get your tail lights on too.

You have to realize how quickly you appear out of the fog to someone at a crossroad or trying to turn in front of you. Especially with no headlights on.

It is very eady to get disoriented in fog to and not realise where you are even on roads you drive every day. Stop signs are all of a sudden right in front of you. Signals appear out of nowwhere allowing no time for a response.

ADULTS...... SLOW DOWN IN TH FOG! And teach your kids some common sense rules for driving.
New Palasteen Farmboy

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 5, 2008
Three deadly crashes at the same place caused by big rigs going thru crossing arms. There isn't anything else to say.
Robert Pines

Sullivan, MO

#15 Feb 5, 2008
Operation Lifesaver wrote:
A real Operation Lifesaver and not these railroad hired gun phonies would go after the idiots putting the unlit snail train cars across a highway in the fog ---and if the greed ran railroads did run the trains the railroad would have the approaches lit up like a Christmas tree 1/4 mile both sides of the tracks.
I AGREE

Pryor, OK

#16 Feb 5, 2008
INDY-RN wrote:
Have others noticed that people just do not slow down as visibility decreases in fog. It is mind boggling!
They do not turn their headlights on either allowing them to be seen. Even with headlights that stay on all the time (DRL) it is good get your tail lights on too.
You have to realize how quickly you appear out of the fog to someone at a crossroad or trying to turn in front of you. Especially with no headlights on.
It is very eady to get disoriented in fog to and not realise where you are even on roads you drive every day. Stop signs are all of a sudden right in front of you. Signals appear out of nowwhere allowing no time for a response.
ADULTS...... SLOW DOWN IN TH FOG! And teach your kids some common sense rules for driving.
The FOG was horrible yesterday and as you said, things appear out of nowhere even when you are going slow. I was driving in unfamiliar territory yesterday and was praying to make it home. No one is at fault here except good ole mother nature.
RR Enthusiast

Pryor, OK

#17 Feb 5, 2008
Patrick wrote:
Regardless, it appears there is something wrong at this crossing. Maybe instead of cute comments, we could suggest the state highway dept. or RR make improvements to this site. How many need to die first?
You are clueless.
It's unfortunate that the driver did not slow down and caused this incident. And my heart goes out to those involved.
How many more improvements can you make to a crossing that has warning lights, and gates and markings on the road. What do you suggest a little outhouse where a attendant runs out and tell drivers that there's a train there. Oh, yeah they wouldn't have seen the attendant either because of the fog!
And if you read the article in its context the people in the crashes in the 80s were when people drove around those warning devices in other fatal incidents.
Lord rest their souls...but common sense would tell you don't drive around activated warning devices because a train is coming!!!
Randy

West Lafayette, IN

#18 Feb 5, 2008
I live near the site of the accident. It is a track that is seldom used so it's very rare that you would ever have to stop for a train. Point (A) the truck driver , who probably makes many runs along this path assumed that it was a rarely used track. Not an excuse though. The whole thing saddens me. I think that the train company, knowing the fog existed, should have asked the authorities to make an appearance at a length from the track to alert traffic. I also believe that there should be a warning light approximately a half of a mile from the track to warn traffic of the approaching train cross traffic. THIS would have saved a life.
Robert Pines

Sullivan, MO

#19 Feb 5, 2008
Date: 02/05/2008 01:15:56 PM
To: safeteam@fra.dot.gov
Subject: Train DC Snipers

Where are the train fog lights---The crossing fog lights---in the railroad RULEBOOK? How can the railroad possibly move a train "knowing" the train will be hard to detect and not be breaking the rules? Especially "KNOWING" the crossing signals (40% of crossings) are junk and time out or don't come on at all till the last second

http://mywebtimes.com/ottnews/archives/ottawa...
The heavy fog was a factor,
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...
Crash at a fog-obscured rail crossing at Boswell
http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/200...
“This was a billion pound train, and with the fog ... It was a nightmare out there yesterday,”
http://www.goedwardsville.com/site/news.cfm...
Fog factor: truck slams into train
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories...
Fog blamed in train-truck crash, interstate closure
http://wkbt.com/Global/story.asp...
Joshua Westaby was killed in the accident in heavy fog at a crossing
X-Hooosier

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#20 Feb 5, 2008
it appears the only thing that was missing there was just good old fashion common since. unless it's a life threating situation there is NO plausible reason for a person to be driving in near "0" visibility. sorry! just one more/my opinion.

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#21 Feb 5, 2008
It seems like we are having many of these train wrecks lately where vehicles run the gates. In the Chicago area, people still think they can outrun a commuter train and go around the gates.

We need to invest in infrastructure and go for grade separation to make this type of accident almost impossible. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for a good amount of patience and common sense and we are in short supply of both these days.

Let's hope those who are injured make a recovery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fowler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Sep 9 America Lover 96
Towing company helps Sandy victims (Feb '13) Aug 29 Seth Ashford 2
Man who threatened to blow up courthouse pleads... Jul '14 N8 the Grrr8 2
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Jun '14 Go Blue Forever 1,302
Remington Pizza King has Sex Offender Jun '14 the good one 2
Remington news Jun '14 darkknight 1
Straight talk Coverage? Apr '14 Samantha 1
•••
•••
•••

Fowler Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••