Fatal crash in Benton County

Fatal crash in Benton County

There are 54 comments on the WLFI Lafayette story from Sep 25, 2008, titled Fatal crash in Benton County. In it, WLFI Lafayette reports that:

A 5-year-old girl has died following a crash on U.S. 52 in Benton County. Sheriff Bruce Pritchett said the accident happened just one mile south of Benton Central High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI Lafayette.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
from bc area

Muncie, IN

#44 Sep 29, 2008
notavail wrote:
and something else to respond to a few of you. Why is that every other area like major cities or industrial areas have adapted just fine to having all sorts of heavy machinery traveling up and down the rounds at all times in any situation, but for some reason BC can't adjust and get used to how major construction projects are? Stop complaining most of you cant drive to begin with trust me. So stop blaming it on those that are just doing their jobs and that doesn't just go for this incident either.
This is a peaceful area with kind people. This kind of event obviously greatly affects people.
I think it is wrong to just start blaming people.
Granted, I have first-hand noticed that the wind mill drivers don't always drive safely. I had one pull out in front of me and I nearly rear-ended him. This may or may not be the case being discussed. The police will determine that. Right now we all need to focus our thoughts and prayers with the family. God bless.
from bc area

Muncie, IN

#45 Sep 29, 2008
Fed up with stupid people wrote:
Okay this is for all you people who are ignorant enough to defend this woman's actions. NEWSFLASH:SHE BROKE THE LAW.....theres now way around it..how can you people defend her. Jessica is the adult.. Saige is the child.. I think it was up to her to put her child in a seat belt..or booster seat. It makes me wonder why people would defend a woman who can't take 5 minutes to buckle up her child. People actually are calling this witness who said that Saige was not in a seatbelt an idiot and saying she is not being truthful, what does she have to gain by lying? I hope the Benton County prosecutor does charge her with something... she needs to learn and all you other people out there need to learn that there should be severe consequences for her actions. It sickens me to know that people would rather defend her than realize that she messed up..BIG TIME! Any defense she gives out won't hold up in the eyes of a judge..because when it comes down to it..the law is the law..and she broke it. Grow up people and quit defending ignorant people...you sound rediculous!
I'm sorry, but I think you are being incredibly judgmental and arrogant. You just want to whine, place blame, and get your frustrations out. You don't know what happened. No one does. Everyone is doing their best in life. Let the police determine whether or not Saige was buckled in. Let THEM determine whether or not she was breaking the law. That's THEIR job - not yours.
Don't you think that having to bury a child is enough punishment? I also don't think Jessica would EVER intentionally do anything to put her daughter in harm's way. It was a tragic ACCIDENT and no one is to blame.
So shut up, let the police do their job, and take some spelling classes (ridiculous).
To Fed up from Tom D

United States

#46 Sep 29, 2008
Fed up with stupid people wrote:
Okay this is for all you people who are ignorant enough to defend this woman's actions. NEWSFLASH:SHE BROKE THE LAW.....theres now way around it..how can you people defend her. Jessica is the adult.. Saige is the child.. I think it was up to her to put her child in a seat belt..or booster seat. It makes me wonder why people would defend a woman who can't take 5 minutes to buckle up her child. People actually are calling this witness who said that Saige was not in a seatbelt an idiot and saying she is not being truthful, what does she have to gain by lying? I hope the Benton County prosecutor does charge her with something... she needs to learn and all you other people out there need to learn that there should be severe consequences for her actions. It sickens me to know that people would rather defend her than realize that she messed up..BIG TIME! Any defense she gives out won't hold up in the eyes of a judge..because when it comes down to it..the law is the law..and she broke it. Grow up people and quit defending ignorant people...you sound rediculous!
Well you are going to eat your words when the new witness that called in to 911 and seen the accident first hand give her story and it gets out, not the one lady who says she passed them just before the accident. She did not swerve, she was not primping in the mirror and Saige was in a seatbelt. If they determined she was traveling at 65 to 70, for god sake how fast was the other lady going thatjust picked up her child and gave that BS report. People like you deserve to be the one that should have been in that crash. Keep your thoughts to yourself you female dog as it does nothing to help anyone. Do you believe in God? Than you should know it is a sin to judge people. RIP Saige and we all loved you dearly.
SteelyDan

Wixom, MI

#47 Sep 29, 2008
To Fed up from Tom D wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you are going to eat your words when the new witness that called in to 911 and seen the accident first hand give her story and it gets out, not the one lady who says she passed them just before the accident. She did not swerve, she was not primping in the mirror and Saige was in a seatbelt. If they determined she was traveling at 65 to 70, for god sake how fast was the other lady going thatjust picked up her child and gave that BS report. People like you deserve to be the one that should have been in that crash. Keep your thoughts to yourself you female dog as it does nothing to help anyone. Do you believe in God? Than you should know it is a sin to judge people. RIP Saige and we all loved you dearly.
You both should re-evaluate your hateful thoughts. As someone said prior in this topic Saige had a message, think about it. I know I have a lot. I have cried and I didn't know her or her mom but it saddens. God received an angel.
annoyed

United States

#48 Sep 29, 2008
To Fed up from Tom D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you should calm down a bit.
What makes you a professional on the situation?
What would a witness have to gain by giving a BS statement?
I don't wish bad things for Jessica but I do agree that she should have had that little girl buckled up.
That will be something that she will have to live with for the rest of her life.
Live in BC2

Fowler, IN

#49 Sep 29, 2008
Everyone knows that a child should be buckled up in any vehicle - HOWEVER - WE DON'T KNOW THAT SAIGE WASN'T BUCKLED UP - unless I've missed something.
Further more - LETS NOT FORGET THAT EVERY STUDENT AT PRAIRIE CROSSING - EXCEPT A HANDFUL WHO'S PARENT PICK THEM UP - ARE BUSSED DAILY WITHOUT SEATBELTS.
Have we all forgotten this???? So, if everyone feel so strongly about this on a daily basis - I expect to see every single parent in Benton County and all surrounding counties, pick up their children so they can wear seatbelts until the school system puts seatbelts in our busses.
wow people - wake up. This was a freak accident and you want to hang the mother BEFORE YOU EVEN KNOW THE FACTS? Yet, you send your kids and grandchildren on busses every day without buckling up.
URGH - if you want to rally for something - get seatbelts on busses for our children.
Live in BC2

Fowler, IN

#50 Sep 29, 2008
Noone cares, until a tragedy occurs - FIX THINGS. BE DOERS AND NOT COMPLAINERS.

Anyone want to demand seatbelts for our children before it's too late?- let me know when the meeting is..I'll be there.
emily flook

Fowler, IN

#51 Sep 30, 2008
yeah so it was NO ONES fault,
things happen for a reason, bby girl is in gods hands now, she has no pain, stay strong jess,bev,&terry, I LOVE YOU CODY LEE! your my big brother forever. ily bby girl, r.i.p saige breanne young.
pray for the grandparents

Heltonville, IN

#52 Sep 30, 2008
I know everyone is sick of blaming people, but i must ask this all of you the defend Jessica's actions and speak of her being such a great mother, how well do you really know her? I knew her, went to school with her..and I must say our hearts should go out to the grandparents...they always had Saige...Im not dissing her as a parent, but I know that the grandparents played the biggest role in the upbringing of this child. Now before anyones goes on to say that Jessica is a young parent and needed help..don't bother because I know she was young...but I also know that the grandparents raised Saige. I just pray that they can get through this..
WE MISS YOU SAIGE

South Bend, IN

#53 Oct 1, 2008
the driver jessica was my cousin and one of my closest freinds she took very good care of saige and always had her in her seat and buckled.!!!! its unfair for some of the comments ive read on here. these trucks think they own the road and yea maybe she did look back at her child for one second but im sure that truck driver could have waited an extra 10 seconds for her to pass.~ saige you will be loved always and missed everday, watch over your mommy and daddy. we love you!
jess- i love you im so sorry that you've lost the love of your life i know she was your little angle. we pray for you and hope for you a speedy recovery and that you just know that saige is there watching you and protecting you from now on, also my prayers go out to you also evan keep your chin up saige loved you very much.
with love always
hna & ter
Live in BC2

Fowler, IN

#54 Oct 1, 2008
I don't know Jessica personally - but I know a mother's love. I pray for Jessica's and Saige's entire family and the driver of the truck and his family. I pray for the first responders and even the guy directing traffic when the road was closed.

I pray for everyone to understand that anyone can be in an accident at anytime- slow down and be cautious - it just takes a second of distraction to change or end life forever.
Support in Idaho

Pullman, WA

#55 Oct 3, 2008
It makes me very sad to see all the negative comments. Have people forgotten what it is like to drive with a young child in the car? I get the impression from some posts that there are parents out there that have perfect children that do not distract them at all while driving. As a mother of a three and four year old, I can personally say that they can be a huge distraction. Not to mention that my four year old likes to unbuckle himself. He doesn't climb out of his booster seat, and as I am driving I sometimes don't even realize that he is unbuckled. Saige could have unbuckled herself or a seat belt could have snapped. Who knows?

I do know that an annoying alarm sounds when my seat is unbuckled, but does not for any other seat. I also know that my front passenger seat has a sensor that senses the weight of a child to turn that airbag off. Why can't car companies use this technology to protect our children? A sensor in the backseat that detects their weight that turns on an alarm if the seat belt is undone would be great. I know that if I am in heavy traffic I don't glance back often enough to check on my child so I don't end up in an accident. If I had an alarm, then I would be able to immediately pull over and strap him back in. I would not have to feel guilty and wonder how long he has been unbuckled, and think about all the bad things that could have happened.

Not to mention they could use this same technology to detect a child if a they are left unattended in a parked car. This might help save the lives of some babies that have been accidentally left in the car.

Maybe Saige's death is a wake up call that our small community should band together and try to make a positive change towards better safety standards in cars and on buses.

I really don't think that Jess's "wild side" played a huge factor here. She was driving her child home from school. No one asks for these things to happen no matter how conservative, wild, or how good the person's parenting skills are. Things like this sometimes happen and that is why they are called accidents.

To Deb, Cody, Terry, Jess, and the rest of the family, you are in my prayers and may God help you through these tough times.
we miss you saige RIP

South Bend, IN

#56 Oct 9, 2008
Windfarmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I was one of the people who pulled the mother from the car and then moved the childs body away from the fire. I have children of my own and the bottom line is a little girl lost her life and a mother is devastated. I cried for hours after what I saw and all this finger pointing does nothing but dimenish what happened on that highway. Noone building this Windfarm wants anyone to be hurt. THis is a tragedy that changed many people's lives including mine. Rest in Peace Saige I truly am sorry I couldnt do more.
thank you so much for saving my best friend and cousins life we all know things happen for a reason and maybe thats why saige didnt make it god needed her now not later.
THANKS YOU SO MUCH FOR SAVING JESSICA'S LIFE. I KNOW WORDS ARENT MUCH AND I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!
mother of concern

Monticello, IN

#57 Oct 13, 2008
I know Jessica, we were not close, but I knew her. And any time I would see her in her truck her daughter was always safly buckled in the back seat. I have a 3 year old son that had recently discovered how to unbuckle himself. He does not like to be in the car seat. Children are children, and until the facts are proven, let little Saige rest in peace. Jessica is going to suffer for this the rest of her life. Every one that is a parent knows that their children are supposed to bury them not the other way around. So all you people need to stop and realize that accidents are accidents. And I know that not every parent hasn't had that time where they turn around in the car to hand their child something or to tell them to stop doing something and take their eyes off the road. I know that I had a close call one night handing my son his faviorate blanket because he wanted it, and I took my eyes off the road and my car went off the road. I yes of course caught it in time. But there are times when you look up and it is too late. Jessica is surviving as best as she can. But she has to go the rest of her life never being able to see her child graduate high school, get married, or have her own children. So we all need to think before we speak as to how you would feel if it were your child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fowler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Towing company helps Sandy victims (Feb '13) Aug '14 Seth Ashford 2
News Man who threatened to blow up courthouse pleads... (Jul '14) Jul '14 N8 the Grrr8 2
Remington Pizza King has Sex Offender (Jun '14) Jun '14 the good one 2
Remington news (Jun '14) Jun '14 darkknight 1
Straight talk Coverage? (Apr '14) Apr '14 Samantha 1
Anyone know anything about Hannah Flook? (Mar '14) Mar '14 Interested 1
News Anniversary: Bruce Creek & Barbara Creek (Jan '14) Jan '14 June Conner 1
More from around the web

Fowler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]